Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #31

Re: Satellite phones

Yeah I saw that same info Herb. But I called Globalstar four times to discuss the plan and they said no monthly or annual fees, just the $1.49/min. I don't see how they can make any money this way unless I do some serious talking. They have my credit card info, so I'll let you know if I see any unauthorized charges.
Hell, now you've got me worried again. I'm going to give 'em another call on Monday.
Stay tuned....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #32

Scatter,
Find out the name and operator ID for your records. If they confirm this price I will get mine hooked up too.
Thanks.

Steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Yeah I saw that same info Herb. But I called Globalstar four times to discuss the plan and they said no monthly or annual fees, just the $1.49/min. I don't see how they can make any money this way unless I do some serious talking. They have my credit card info, so I'll let you know if I see any unauthorized charges.
Hell, now you've got me worried again. I'm going to give 'em another call on Monday.
Stay tuned....
I have a similar plan with Iridium, except they do have a monthly charge of $33. Cost per minute is $1.50 and you get 10min free each month. I probably only use the phone 4-5 times per year, but it is great to have. Their service has been great. You can always get a signal and be talking within minutes of turning on the phone.

Glad to hear that globalstar has more sats up and that service is improving. Some competition in this market is good for consumers.
R
Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I have a similar plan with Iridium, except they do have a monthly charge of $33. Cost per minute is $1.50 and you get 10min free each month. I probably only use the phone 4-5 times per year, but it is great to have. Their service has been great. You can always get a signal and be talking within minutes of turning on the phone.

Glad to hear that globalstar has more sats up and that service is improving. Some competition in this market is good for consumers.
R
Rob can you show a link to your provider and plan? I want to compare to Roadpost.
Thanks

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #35

Inmarsat also has a pretty good rate going for emergency type plans.

http://www.gmpcs-us.com/airtime-plans.asp

At $150/year and $1.39/min, after the free 60 minutes, I think it's a deal. Biggest drawback is the cost of the phone.

I'll let ya know the rest of the info about my "super" Globalstar plan tomorrow.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

R
Rob can you show a link to your provider and plan? I want to compare to Roadpost.
Thanks
Dave,
I will try and locate a link. The service vendor/reseller is Satcom, located in AZ. Or at least that is where i send payment.
R
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #37
Site Team

Do sat phones have sim cards, or equivalent, for service activation? Trying to figure out what to look for if I were to pick up a used sat phone.

Herb
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #38

OK kids, I called Globalstar again. They're getting to where they recognize my voice. Anyway, the plan I'm on as stated above, is for me only. All the gals there got together and said that I was soooo good looking that they were going to give me free service....

OK, OK, what they really said was that the no monthly or annual deal was to keep existing customers who had been with them for several years. They want us around till they get the rest of their satellites up and running. Then I'm sure they'll hit me with a whopping monthly.
They used to have 18 sats up and most of them are past their useful life and either burned up or just stopped working. Last October they launched 6 new ones and right now they have 2 of 'em running with the other 4 expected to be on-line as soon as they stabilize their orbits and activate them. They are planning on launching 8 more later this year and then they will have 24/7 service.
Right now they have a new "Launch Plan" which seems to be the best deal they have for new customers. Ya gotta buy one of their new 1700 phones for $500 and then it's $19.99/mo and unlimited calls in the U.S.
So, there ya have it. Sorry to get anyones hopes up. Thot I'd run across a great deal here.

Herb, I don't know anything about sim cards. I'm sure someone else here will chip in.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #39

That's not much more than a high end smart phone. Did they say how much it was outside the US, say in Baja?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #40
Site Team

Think I'll stick with a cell phone, a HAM radio, a bug out bag, and a lot of wishful thinking.

Herb