Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #91

Re: Large Family Sportsmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
2. Rear a/c inadequate (closely linked to #1).

More to follow next year. Happy New Year everyone!
Is it OEM AC, or aftermarket?

My OEM rear AC makes it downright frigid in the back. passengers get too cold in the back even when its on low.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #92

It is the OEM rear a/c. However, the volume of air is severely restricted by having only two vents.

This was after I went back to Fresno the first time. Originally, it only had one vent.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #93

Ah. Makes sense. The factory wagons have 6 vents, and mine has 2 extra that were added later.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #94

Exactly where are the rear a/c vents located in a 2010 Ford RB? I got the rear a/c connection package, but SMB West cut some metal pipe runs that go from the van's engine compartment on the driver's side toward the rear of the van so they could put a propane tank in. I noticed the fan on my dash is actually pushing air back there because it's the only way I can get the windows to keep from fogging up in high humidity driving conditions. Still, I don't know where the fan is or how the air is moving back there - it's all covered up with flooring, wall panels, and the overhead trim panel like in jesse's photo.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #95

Jessenej,

What are the steel rings on the upper valence in your photo? Some sort of gear attachment system?

Brent
Old 12-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #96

Large Family Sportsmobile

Yes. They can be positioned anywhere along the track.

There are two tracks along the floor. The two along the top were designed so that I could position a cargo net behind either the 2nd or 3rd row bench. However, due to the electric motor the top rails were placed too far forward. So, they are being removed. The bottom ones will be retained so cargo can be strapped down with the rings.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #97

I've been known to take my F250 back to Indiana because it's a lot of miles and I-70 is boring as can be. It's much nicer in the SMB, but all that pavement and nowhere to go (no time) makes me crazy.

Look forward to updates and photos.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #98

The "Large Family Sportsmobile" is finally home!

Significant improvements are:

1. Bigger windows.
2. More a/c vents.
3. LED strip lights.

Big picture (without pictures ):

Van was purchased via phone from a dealership in Ohio. Sprinter seats were installed in Ohio. I picked up the van, took it to SMB Indiana to have the PH top installed. Drove the van home (near Fresno) and dropped if off at SMB West to have the 4x4 and remainder on interior completed. I moved. Had the van delivered out of state. Discovered numerous issues. Emergency trip back to Fresno to address issues. Emergency issues that could be addressed in one work day addressed. Drove the "large family" all the way to the East Coast and back. Numerous more significant issues identified/confirmed. Dropped the van back off at SMB West for 2.5 months. "Think" we have the right solution for our "large family".

Ultimately, I don't recommend this approach. Each step along the way locked me into decisions that affected/limited the final product.

Success or failure of the project is TBD, but a couple of quick thoughts:

1. We put a lot of time, effort and money into this project to essentially build a "better" SMB 4x4 Ford Wagon. Time will tell if what we ended up with is "better" or not. I will probably wonder for a long time if I could have saved a truck-load of cash and head-ache by adding 4x4 to a wagon and ended up with nearly the identical product.

2. SMB West bore the brunt of my frustration on this project. Although there were certainly some significant communications issues along the way, the most frustrating, most complicated issues were centered around the Sprinter seats. My thanks go out to Alan, Stu, and Pete for woking to find the best solution for a challenging project.

Honey-do list is a mile long. Once I knock it down to a more managable level, will add "final" build pics...
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #99

Erik,

I somehow recall that your initial build had SMB's 4x4 setup, but with a Detroit Truetrac in the front and(?) LSD in the rear because they couldn't get another Truetrac in your pumpkin. I don't see any suspension changes with your latest visit to SMB, so how has that worked out? I am contemplating replacing my LSD in the rear with a Truetrac and getting the sagging (EB) back end up a bit for better clearance with spring mods (weight 9820 lbs, 5700 rear, 4100 front) and seeing how far that gets me before going 4x4. As much as I was surprised at how heavy I was, I am trying to stay as light as possible, so am progressing cautiously with every mod.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #100

Just got back from a 4,500 mile round trip out east and back. Had some opportunities to get the van dirty both on dirt roads and mud. Spent some time with 4x4 engaged in both conditions.

From my perspective (and I was paying attention for any handling anomalies), I could not notice the limited slip in the front. That is until I started to slip in some muddy conditions. At that point it jumped into action and I continued on my way like it was cool.

From a simplistic, effective, maintenance free perspective - I can't recommend the Detroit Truetrac enough. It is performing exactly as I hoped it would. I just re-checked their website (http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsS ... tTruetrac/). When I researched this for my build, this webpage said it was recommended for front-axle applications. Doesn't seem to say that anymore. Don't know why.

Break.

Final follow-up on by build once work slows down a bit. Should be in the next couple of weeks.