Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #81

Re: Large Family Sportsmobile

Gotta be in Fresno to tie up some loose ends on Monday. Sadly, my van will not be ready.

Unfortunately, that means I can't get it until late June due to a work commitment.

But, I will visit to check on progress.

On the upside, bottle jack and ARB recovery gear have shipped.

Latest from Jeff:

Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #82

Saw my van today. Looked pretty much like the last picture I posted, plus the rear bumper. Jeff is sticking by his guns on a Friday completion.

My wife is worried about storage and sleeping space for all of us. Hello Adventure Trailer! Friend's wife didn't like crawling down the ladder for "night-time business". He used it once (last weekend). He picks up his new RV tomorrow.

Downside is Land Rover wheels. Upside is storage, king-size bed, propane for stove, and a chest fridge. I'm towing it home as I type.

Pics to follow when van and trailer meet.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #83

Ok, early June? Not so much. Last Friday? Nope. But...

TOMORROW at 9 a.m. I will meet Josh with the van to notarize that it was delivered out of state!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #84

My SMB arrived this morning. Unfortunately, there are issues.

Although I feel like doing this -

Today is Saturday. So, I'm going to go camping in my van tomorrow with my "large family" as previously planned and chill out.

After I get home Monday night, I'll give Alan a call on Tuesday. We'll go from there.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #85
Site Team

Garage

I had problems but expected it being these things are a bit complicated and the fact I asked for some special stuff they didn't build on a regular basis. Hope your troubles are not bad.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #86

Alan has been awesome on the phone so far. I'm gonna try to get up there next week to finish up. Not happy about another 1,000 miles in wear and tear and fuel...

But, if they are able to make good on their word, I'll still be driving away in what I was looking for.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #87

Such an interesting thread, but we've been left hanging for two months What's the status of everything now?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
Such an interesting thread, but we've been left hanging for two months What's the status of everything now?
My sincerest apologies. Things got really jammed. We had a 30 day road trip planned from AZ to MD and back over the bulk of July and early August. Part of my frustration with my delivery was that some of the issues had to be fixed before I was willing to jump into the van for a month with the entire family. That meant delaying our departure and adding a marathon trip to Fresno and back right before driving coast to coast and back. Additionally, due to my time constraints, SMB West did not have enough time to fix everything to meet my expectations. That means another trip to Fresno to finish up.

The trip: We envisioned a cross country camping, wheeling extravaganza. Purchased a National Parks pass and planned to hit every park along the way.

Reality: It takes a solid week on I-40 EACH way to move with four kids ages 1 to 9. Add to that immense family pressure to stop by anyone's house that is deemed "along the way" and we started wondering if we would make it home in time.

We didn't use the park pass once. We forced two attempts to camp. Both times it was dark before I could get dinner served, kids were crying, cats and dogs were living together, and my wife's and my sanity were coming into question.

Following our trip I had to hit the road for two weeks for work. I have come home to a honey-do list longer than I can see. It is my full intent to put some pictures together (especially of the interior in the various available configurations). However, time is short and did I mention that honey-do list is long?

So, no promises on the timing. I am pretty much crushed through mid November. So, expect the write-up sometime in mid-January???

In the mean time, here's to shorter trips with WAY more wheeling and camping!!!

For now, here's a teaser of us in the Prescott National Forrest the day after we got the van prior to returning to Fresno:

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #89

Large Family Sportsmobile

Quick update: I've got a rough plan to drop my van back off at SMB West prior to Christmas to work through the interior issues. I've promised to give them as long as they need. Alan has promised to address all of the issues.

What could possibly go wrong???
Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #90

My van is back in Fresno. To answer my previous question of what could possibly go wrong? Answer: Hitting LA right at rush hour on Christmas Eve, Eve on the way home.

Issues being addressed are many, but the biggies are:

1. Windows were too small resulting in the stench of vomit emanating from my kids in the back.
2. Rear a/c inadequate (closely linked to #1).
3. Rear platform bed being removed.
4. Interior lighting.
5. Numerous rattles and squeaks.

More to follow next year. Happy New Year everyone!