Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #61

Re: Large Family Sportsmobile

Thank you both for the thoughts on the idea, and specific info from jessenej. I hadn't noticed the height from jessenej's photos so went back to look and sure enough, they do look closer to the ceiling. Great seats, though. In line with Jessenej's suggestion, I am indeed leaning toward EB at this point, just having difficulty fully visualizing the right interior for five to travel, dine and sleep.

PearGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #62

PearGrove, the stock Ford seats ('08+) have integrated shoulder belts. And they are more comfortable than the Sprinter seats (trust me.... spend lots of time in both).

You can order the crew-van package from Ford, which give you the 2nd row of seats.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #63

Actually, they only have integrated seat belts in the center positions. The outboard positions all hang from the sides. Additionally, they only have LATCH in the center position of the middle bench (if you care). Finally, they have MASSIVE floor brackets.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearGrove
I am indeed leaning toward EB at this point, just having difficulty fully visualizing the right interior for five to travel, dine and sleep.
One more thought: I think if you spend any time in an SMB you will nix the idea of "dining" for five inside the van. I can't really imagine more than two full-size people moving around in there at once. If you want roome like that I would look to an awning with attachable walls.

If you focus on just travel and sleep, sounds like an EB with four swivel captain's chairs, PH top, and a big platform bed in the rear would be very nice. If I didn't have high hopes of serious off-roading, I know I would have liked a bigger bed back there...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Actually, they only have integrated seat belts in the center positions. The outboard positions all hang from the sides. Additionally, they only have LATCH in the center position of the middle bench (if you care). Finally, they have MASSIVE floor brackets.
I have an 08 Ford.
I had them add LATCH brackets for all three bench positions. Of course only one of the three has shoulder straps, the other two only have lap belts because there was no place to attach a shoulder strap position.

Correction:
I just had them add the rear tethers.
I didn't inquire about having the lower anchors.

I did ask if there was a headrest option for the bench, there isn't from SMB.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #66

We traveled to Death Valley with a friend who had 3 adults and 2 children in an RB PH and they seemed to do fine, and actually spent more time in the van then we did. Admittedly it would be crowded, but there is after all only so much space in a Ford van.

I've personally done extended camping with two adults and two teenagers, so I really think two adults and up to 3 kids, say 13 and under would certainly be doable, of course that depends on the temperament of the family- if everybody needs a separate TV/game system and their own bedroom it's not going to work, but then again the van can be too small even for a single guy traveling alone (admittedly I'm a big guy!)
Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #67

With a second row of captain's chairs, could they swivel toward the back to face a sofa at the back facing forward, with a table between them, to seat five total, even if it's a bit cramped? (A layout in the SMB 50s series, I think.) Or is there another layout that seems appropriate for five around a single table? I'm imagining those days where the rain or mosquitos make the outdoors uninviting enough that folks just feel like sitting around inside, playing cards.
PearGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #68

I think you are on the right track. However, before you commit to the idea of squeezing inside, you should consider options like this:

http://www.fiamma.it/products/fiammastor.asp?Fam=F04
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearGrove
With a second row of captain's chairs, could they swivel toward the back...
You could do one captains' chair and then put a bench in the "3rd row", so that you get driver's seat, passenger seat, 3rd chair and 2 seat bench (so you can get past it to galley in the back) but that doesn't help with sleeping arrangements.

Here is some 4 captain's chairs to ponder:
viewtopic.php?p=2523#p2523
gallery:
gallery/album.php?album_id=100

I've always thought this was a really interesting layout.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #70

Hiya
Just been there and done that

I have still to test in real outdoor conditions but seems good

I would say that if I didn't have the need for the bench seat, the cap'n seats give better access trough the van ... just my 2 cents
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote