Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
Spr

Sweet Firepit and Grill Combo

Hello,
I don’t usually post anything about gear but I figured this one was worth a post. My much better half and I have been on a long quest of finding the best grill/portable fire pit combo. We have tried smoky joes, foldable V shaped fire pits etc but nothing really covers both having a great fire pit and a great grill all in one. I think we finally found it! To kick things off we have absolutely no affiliation to this company. This was a recent REI purchase (due to their amazing return policy) but can be ordered from anywhere.

We recently purchased a fireside outdoor foldable firepit along with their grill accessory (link below). What an amazing product!!! The firepit is 24”x24” aluminum construction that folds down to a 24” narrow roll with a nice case. It literally takes 30 seconds to set up, weighs virtually nothing, and allows for TONS of air flow because of the rollable mesh bottom. Because of the amount of airflow our fires were not smoky at all much like the large and expensive solo fire pits. There is an optional heat shield that isn’t really needed unless you plan on using this on a wood deck or over grass. We bought it because I was unsure if it was needed or not but in hindsight it isn’t really necessary. Dumping the coals at the end of the night is a breeze. Assuming you have some gloves, you just lift off the sidewalls, put on the ground, and hold 2 ends of the mesh in a U shape and dump where needed. Its cool to the touch in less than a minute and you can store in your van overnight. Its amazing!

The grill accessory also takes 30 seconds to set up and what we love about this is it sits at the perfect grilling height above the coals. This accessory has its own case which is smaller and very high quality construction. I like that its separate because there are nights you wont use it and now it stays out of the way. We opted for the 3 section grill because it has plenty of grilling space and allows for you to slide the grill on the tracks which helps relocate the meat to a hotter or cooler area of the coals. I also carry my old smoky Joe lid to cover the meat when grilling but that’s obviously preference. They also have a 12”x12” grill/firepit that sets up in the same way but that wont give nearly enough grilling space for a couple big steaks, veg, or even a pot with something in it at the same time. Also the 24x24 allows you to burn fires in different areas of the grill which should maximize the life of the fire screen. We just got back from 8 nights on the road and every meal was perfectly grilled.

The only 2 negatives we could come up with were:
1. The fire mesh supposedly only lasts 200 fires or so until it starts to get some heat holes. The sell the screens individually so we might need to buy a new 20$ mesh down the road (which I might buy now just to have as a backup).
2. You need to get a decent amount of hot coals going to get a good grill going. This means you might burn a little more wood than normal. This really isn’t any different than any other form of grilling dinners unless you are using coals (which you can also use with this setup)

Anyway, I figured some of you might appreciate a new product out there that actually works well.

Website https://firesideoutdoor.com/products...RJlT3ee91SgT9N

Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Thanks for the thorough review Spr, I’ve been seeing this setup on Adventure Van Man YouTube vids lately and it’s really intriguing! Unfortunately out west we are really limited in campfires, but hopefully we are headed into a wetter cycle…hopefully…

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #3

Garage
I have that also and love it.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Garage
I just ordered this. thanks for the review. I did not know portable firepits were a thing.
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote