Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

'08 Ford homebrew (work in progress)

Some quick pics of our homemade build - just back from a trip to Fresno to have the top installed! They did a very nice job, we enjoyed it on a great trip back up through California and the Oregon coast (saw 2 other SMBs on the way up: a grey one outside of Florence OR and later a white one with some lettering in Lincoln City).

Started with an '08 passenger van:

Stripped out all of the inside - benches, interior trim, rear A/C unit...

Insulated, laid plywood flooring:

Captain's chairs for the two kids. Brackets are bolted into the original threaded lugs from the bench seats:

Built a dinette in the back; cabinet for the fridge; burlap wall panels. Floor is marmoleum. Fridge powered by a 100Ah battery with Xantrex TrueCharge 2 charger - we have a 135W solar panel waiting to be mounted.

As much as possible, we tried to use 'green' or non-toxic materials:

- plywood is FSC-certified, PureBond formaldehyde-free (uses a soy-based adhesive)
- insulation is recycled cotton felt
- flooring is marmoleum, an all natural product from linseed oil
- wall panels are masonite (steam-pressed wood fibers) with burlap covering
- couch/bed cushions are cotton futons, no foam

Got much information and inspiration from all of you on this site - thanks very much!

Not done yet - we didn't get it all finished before the trip. Still need to finish up more cabinets and interior trim, plus water system and expanded electrical. (I don't think it will ever be done! 4wd next?!)

Cheers,
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #2

Re: '08 Ford homebrew (work in progress)

Looking good Jeff!! Awesome flooring!!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Looks good, keep posting pic's!
Cheers
I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

nice work
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks!

Recently added a solar panel:

and built out the PH bed:

The bed is made from 3/4" no-added-urea-formaldehyde plywood, with a 3" latex slab on top. I added some aluminum angle trim both for looks and for added strength. It's attached to the roof in the same manner as Sportsmobile does it, with wire loops on the bracket blocks and cleats on the bed.

Finally, I added a new cabinet with drawers just behind the side doors, but no pictures of that. I found some cool 'RV' drawer slides, with a spring that holds them closed. No need for latches, just a tug on the drawer to get it open.

Cheers!
Mike.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #6

Looks good.

Keep the pictures coming!!

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #7

Built some new cabinets!

Also a new dinette/bed - more pictures later. Getting ready for the big roadtrip, so it's all coming down to the wire!!

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

WOW. Nice job. I love the one-piece buckets for the kids. Simple , bright interior!
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #9

Thanks teeots! Right now I have to strap car seats into those buckets, since the kids are so small... but eventually will be able to use them on their own.

Some more pics of the interior, since I spent most of the spring building it (mostly in the evenings when the kids went to bed, with an increasing percentage of weekends as our road trip departure date approached) and so want to show it to as many people as I can

The layout has a dinette in the back that converts to a bed. Last year I just had some wood boards that spanned the middle, and the seat cushions pulled down over those. But my wife HATED dealing with the boards, and having two equally-sized cushions meant a seam in the middle that our hips would fall into, so that they'd get sore from the lack of padding.

This year completely rebuilt them so that one side pulls right out on heavy-duty slides. The benches have the cushions split into thirds so that there's no seam in the middle.

We can easily get into the sliding box when the bed is up or down.

Like last year, all of the wood is no-added-formaldehyde (uses a soy adhesive) and the dinette/bed cushions are natural latex.

In all of these pics, the interior isn't completed. I didn't get to finish the wall paneling - it's amazingly time-intensive to get the panels to fit well together around all of the curves. But I made some big breakthroughs and will do the finish work over the winter.

I have the cabinets mostly finished, curtains up, dividing curtain for the cab and bug curtains for the side doors done, and some warm-white LED lights wired and installed.

We have to work a bit on getting our fabric colors right I under-ordered on the main fabric for the bed upholstery, so my wife was up late on the last few days before the trip sewing with leftover materials!

Also finally got the 120 volt and 12 volt systems wired up nice and clean, with proper distribution panels. Next step is to move the stereo and the PH top lights over to the house battery from the starting battery.

The fridge is a Nova Kool 3.5 cubic foot, which is a fantastic fridge. Almost silent, and fits a TON of food/beer/wine/etc

We just finished 10 days in the van on the way down to the SF Bay area, with everything working amazingly well. Now three days in a hotel (so much space!!) and then another week of camping to get home.

We'll be at SMB West later this week for an Aluminess rear bumper with the big storage box, on which I have pinned all of my hopes of an uncluttered interior

The free space under the van will eventually go to water tanks.

It's coming together!!

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #10

Nice work!!

Question re: clutter?

You getting the XL storage as well as the aluminess

or

Just aluminess with some sort of "baja box"

if not getting the XL storage, ya might want to think about it
the Basement (XL storage) is one of the best things Wilson has

plenty of room underneath for water tanks and storage

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote