Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #31

Re: Another FNG - 2001 GMC Savana

Here's a clip I took after replacing the distributor, cap, plugs, and wires.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 4777171884

sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #32

Ok, good info. It's hard to determine the scope of the knock on my laptop speakers.

With the engine running, is the knock sound coming from the top or the bottom of the motor? You'll have to stick your head under the van while running to check the bottom sound.

Oil pressure is normal, has a bunch of ABS codes (how important is ABS to you?) and has a misfire that is not detectable while driving. Heated O2 sensor failed. A heated O2 sensor is an easy fix and cheap.

The knock could be several things......if it's on the top of the motor, tappet/lifter/etc. Sounds like the knock is being sensed by the knock sensor, as it would be.

Since you have a distributor, no coil over plug stuff.

We had a rod knock in a trooper and it sounded like a midget with a baseball bat was in the block. It was loud.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #33

fyi - Big fat screwdriver or a aluminum rod held to a part of engine on one dnd and close to your rad on the other can isolate sounds and mak them more identifiable. There also mechanics stethescopes that do the same thing.

Great recommend boywonder.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
F

Re: floor sound deadening etc----didn't pay attention to your full time location but if its in a 4 season climate less is more on the floor. Living in Columbus, Ohio any sort of stock mat or carpeting that uses a fabric or foam underpad attracts and holds moisture to the point those areas become soaked, the wet material almost never ever drying out. I know this from personal experience. (If you're in a very dry climate disregard most of this from me.)

Truthfully fitting the floor with nothing more than 3/4" plywood does about as much sound deadening as you can achieve even with multiple layers of anything else. Once the plywood is in place its typically covered with carpet or other continuous material which slightly enhances sound killing so save some money and don't add too much between the metal floor and whatever is its final cover.

I'm not against sound deadening but there are equally effective but less expensive ways to do this.

Looking forward to your progress FNG!
So, back to this topic. I've gone away from the sound deadening material. The interior of the new van I bought this weekend (video tour uploading) has been completely lined with Line-X or Rhino Liner.

My next step is to follow this more or less unless I learn differently from you guys:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... amper-van/

They only used refletix on the floor before the subfloor. Then a bunch of other stuff for the walls and ceiling. Looks really good and really well insulated.
sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote