Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #81

No pics today but the front axle is prepped and ready except I forgot to get a couple of Moog parts no one has in stock. UPS should have em here tomorrow. Also, I got the rest of the rear axle bolted up, wheels on and dropped down. Damn, this thing is going to be high! I haven't been around a 6" lifted van in awhile. Bumpers went back on too.

It looks like exhaust shields are going to be a real party. A sawzall party.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
UPS should have em here tomorrow.
Ha!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #83

So, parts and more parts bought but I'm almost done. The axle install was completely uneventful. Kudos to MG for such a well thought out kit. Last Saturday I dropped it down on it's own 4 feet for the first time in a few months and that was a good feeling.

It's sitting on some early Super Duty rollers on 265's I bought for it but I've changed my mind. These wouldn't clear the calipers without grinding down the backs of the new calipers a bit and it's still too tight for me. I got some new-in-box 17" Super Duty steel wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler 305's just yesterday. They should be mounted by early next week. The 265's look WAY wimpy with such a lift.

Ujoint shifter kit installed. This is the only way to go for a conversion. His kit is complete and priced right.

Pardon the rusty and cut rear AC lines underneath. This is a big frustration of mine. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there yet.

Crossmember modified, 2 inches added:

New speed sensors, brake lines and all brake parts except the Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors which came on my axle. A bit of surface rust but not worth cleaning up. It'll be right back.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #84

And now we're all back in one piece except the driveshafts and exhaust. This week fuel tank, exhaust shields and exhaust, 4d aux battery and lots of little bits have gone on and are shored up.

The exhaust is going to require some creativity. I'd say the most frustrating thing about this whole conversion has been the stuff I can't do.

Transmission tail housing swap (if you don't have an 05 or newer 5r110)
Exhaust
Driveshafts
Fuel tank modification (luckily I found one already done)

....and probably a couple things I'm forgetting.

I'm sure I've said this a time or two. If I hadn't fallen into the rather deep hole of cleaning up the undercarriage of this van this would be a 2 week or so job for a novice car guy, working a bit in the evenings and weekends. Maybe even quicker but it takes time to round up parts and get your head around everything. I could do it much quicker if I did it again.

Oh, today I put fluids and fuel in it and am ready to fire it up. I'm curious how loud it's going to be with 2' of left exhaust header and a hole on the right where it used to connect. If it's not too bad I'll just drive it to the muffler shop.

More to come next week when shafts are ready.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #85

Great work, I bet you're just itching to get this thing on the road and down a trail somewhere. That'll be some satisfaction.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #86

Back in the game

So, drivelines weren't as bad as I thought. Nice to save a buck on the (way over) budget. I was able to back out of the shop yesterday. Wow, the dust that has settled on her was thick.

I did score a NIB set of F250 steel wheels and mounted 305/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on them.

Silver on silver wouldn't work for me though.

I popped em on this morning and topped off the tranny fluid. Straight to the gas station only to find I have a fuel tank vent issue. The good news is the speed sensor fix and the rest of the conversion is amazing.

Damn it's high!

Then straight to the muffler shop where I sit now.

More driving and pics after this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #87

Congrats! It's finally under it's own power again!

I'll give you $6800.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #88

Looks awesome!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #89

Garage
am I the only one that cant see all the pix posted?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #90

Shenrie, I posted those today on Tapatalk. I'll switch em over to the forum as soon as I get caught up here at work.