Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #1

Front Seat Leaks

I've pulled my doghouse and front seat carpet to add some sound dampener up front and found the passenger side carpet soaked back to the swivel seat post.

We got a pretty good rain a couple days ago... wondering if there is a windshield drain or something else common that might leak to this location? Another thing I noticed was the doghouse gasket has a pretty big chunk missing from it on the passenger side right at the bottom corner... could that be a source? Maybe a misplaced water bottle from one of my kids? Thanks for any insight. Cheers!

Stephen

stesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #2

Most likely cause is a blocked or cracked drain tube from the cabin air intake plenum.

Next most likely cause it cracking at the top of the A-piller, or a shrinkage of the seam sealant at the front edge of the gutter. Often, but crop up at the same time. But the cracking usually happens in pop-top vans. Mine did it too, but probably because I sometimes have 3,000+ pounds on the roof.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Most likely cause is a blocked or cracked drain tube from the cabin air intake plenum.

Next most likely cause it cracking at the top of the A-piller, or a shrinkage of the seam sealant at the front edge of the gutter. Often, but crop up at the same time. But the cracking usually happens in pop-top vans. Mine did it too, but probably because I sometimes have 3,000+ pounds on the roof.
Thanks for the quick reply carringb! I’ll look into the cabin air intake. I’m thinking not the a pillar since the van is nose up on a slope and there isn’t any wet around or behind the seat.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What year and type is this leaking van?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
What year and type is this leaking van?
Sorry, relevant info missing!
2005 E350 super duty xlt, passenger
Old 03-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #6

It wasn't clear from your post if it leaked just while sitting or if you drove in the rain. If just sitting, it's unlikely the doghouse gasket is the problem. If you drove in the rain, it definitely could be the issue. In any case, it's something to fix.

Colored "construction paper", like kids use, is a great leak detector since it permanently discolors when wet. I assume the current variety is the same, but I'd test it first.

If you tape or stuff some into the various suspect areas, you'll see signs after the next rain. In placing the paper, remember that water travels downhill so make sure that, wherever you put it, you go as high as possible. It can also travel horizontally in unexpected ways.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
It wasn't clear from your post if it leaked just while sitting or if you drove in the rain. If just sitting, it's unlikely the doghouse gasket is the problem. If you drove in the rain, it definitely could be the issue. In any case, it's something to fix.

Colored "construction paper", like kids use, is a great leak detector since it permanently discolors when wet..
This leaked while sitting. Thanks for the tip! We’ve got another good storm coming this week and I’ll give this a shot
Old 03-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #8

A friend with a 2000 E350 also experienced leaks from a weld in the corner of the windshield wiper air intake plenum (carringb). Drain tube plugging could contribute. Ford uses a sealant over the welds and body twisting over time may contribute. Hard to see, but the leak seems to get into the firewall area, then down to the carpet....Another place to look....There are a number of older threads on this general subject...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak