Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2023, 12:53 PM   #91

Will do.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:22 PM   #92

Damn. This looks amazing! Thanks for all of the detailed pics and info. I assume that these counters are sitting height like a Sportsmobile. You sure have packed a ton of stuff in there. That sink looks amazing and massive in that space.

Must feel good to be "done" not that anyone really ever is!
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:47 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
Damn. This looks amazing! Thanks for all of the detailed pics and info. I assume that these counters are sitting height like a Sportsmobile. You sure have packed a ton of stuff in there. That sink looks amazing and massive in that space.

Must feel good to be "done" not that anyone really ever is!
Counters are higher. I can't deal with the super low SMB sitting counters. This van will be getting a pop top so I built them at 30" from floor. I'm not sure what SMB is but it seems like I remember them being about 1' off floor.

It's never done......

Old 08-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #94

Garage
Your build Looks great! You packed a lot in there while still keeping it very livable. Curious to see what's next!
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #95

I had planned on building this van with raw birch and pulling it apart for stain when it goes to CCV for a pop top. Well, I got to experimenting with stain and slowly but surely the whole interior build got closer to finished. Not liking the mix I decided to just pull what I hadn't done yet out and stain it. It will cost me some work after CCV cuts up the top since I'll probably have to rebuild a couple of my tall walls to match the CCV roof cut.

First up though, countertop. I didn't want more wood or wood look in this van. There is plenty already since I used the flooring I used. I've always wanted to try butcher block but couldn't source it easily in 1" thickness. 1.5" seems awfully thick and heavy. I found a great price on a 24"x6' though and decided to try something with it. Black polyurethane.

First, I cut it to shape with a circular saw and jigsaw and rounded over the edges with a router.

Untitled by E A, on Flickr

After excess material was removed I felt better about the weight. I considered having it planed down to 1" but no one in my area has a planer big enough to do a 24" wide piece.

Next, experimenting with black:

Not at all satisfied I kept sanding and recoating and in the end basically covered all woodgrain and it's now smooth black. We like the result. It's not really even obviously butcher block anymore though.

What came through in the pic above is more streaks from wet stain than woodgrain. In person it just looks black.

So, after pulling and staining the rest of the cabinets the interior is more or less complete:

I added some holes for the Truckfridge fan to breath a little better and the vents to the right of that are for the eventual rerouting of the rear AC when the pop top is installed. Also, not sure if I've mentioned it but I'm holding off on couch upholstery until I get the top done and also figure out front seats. I hate the sheets on the cushions but for now it will have to work.

Apparently I forgot to take final pics with the grill off but I did a fairly elaborate on-board-air system with 2 seperate Viair compressors plumbed to one big tank, so I can run one or both from seperate dash upfitter switches. I added a 9 gallon tank under the rear of the van.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:46 PM   #96

Here she is, ready for an adventure.

Speaking of, we got out for a shakedown trip last weekend. Sunset dinner on the Cherohala Skyway:

Stopped at this cabin to see if they had some pesto since we don't quite have our kitchen stocked yet but oddly they had never heard of it. Only beans and corn available. That's no way to live.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:47 PM   #97

I like how you built the cabinets, they turned out great. How much to remodel the inside of my money pit when you get all done?
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #98

Thanks. I don't think I'm ready to do another one. The last one I did was years ago. The stars aligned for this build during the slowest time I've had at work in 5 years.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #99

Awesome trip, and encouraging project.

Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail? It is an old school favorite for us.

Cherohala Skyway has been on my to do list since since you documented the family trip in Rusty.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:15 PM   #100

Countertop looks great! Cool idea with the black poly. The van looks great. Now if only you could fit more stuff on the back doors!

The shakedown trip looks amazing. What is life without pesto!? haha
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote