Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #31

Re: Other Penthouse Roof Manufacturers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
Can a full sized adult (or 2) sleep in the T top? What is the weight capacity? Have you had any problems with leakage?
My wife (5'9") and I (6'1") have slept in the T-Top. Like I said, plenty of elbow room, just a little tight getting into and out of bed.

Not sure of rated weight capacity, but when I'm up there playing with my son, I don't feel any flex in the bed.

No problems with leakage.

Hope this helps.

Brent

Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #32

As for GTRV costs Mike Reed at GTRV in Sebastopol, CA told me earlier this summer " We make both the T top and V top in the standard size and extended size We have built our own molds and hand lay our own tops. The full size van tops run in the 7K range installed and trimmed out." When I asked about one for my 2008 Ford E-350 EB.

Having looked at both GTRV and Sportsmobile Penthouse have there good and bad points in my eyes. GTRV looks better and is lower but cuts into the interior a bit too much when closed. The Sportsmobile top looks unfinished the way the front edge just sticks up. I think they should at least have a small fiberglass part ,even as an option that comes to the front of the roof and angles back like the windshield or like a VW Westy has for luggage.

I wish there was a top kit you could install yourself (neither Sportsmobile or GTRV will sell a top un-installed) that had the best features of both and was a bit more contemporary. I am still thinking of building my own roof using Carbon Fiber or Kevlar if I can find a good canvas shop to work with me near here. For $6,000 plus that either of the other ones cost I can put a lot of time and money into it and hopefully have more of what I want, like an awning that is hidden under the roof when it is down. Although some days a fixed roof starts looking pretty darn good . So if anyone wants to tell me what you like and don't like about the pop top you have that would be great so I can get some ideas.

Thanks for a great topic..
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #33

Hi;

I dislike sending you off the greatest site on the web. Nonetheless here is a link to someone who discusses building his own top and then starting his own business selling them.

Plenty of play by play if you follow the full thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... -top/page6

Take a look and let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
Hi;

I dislike sending you off the greatest site on the web. Nonetheless here is a link to someone who discusses building his own top and then starting his own business selling them.

Plenty of play by play if you follow the full thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... -top/page6

Take a look and let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

Gavin
He is also on this forum...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #35

Hi;

I figured as much.

That link just has too much information to pass up.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #36

My van is at Dereks/Colorado Camper Van as we speak getting the pop top done. I am a person who usually does everything myself and had every intention of doing a Eurovan top until i saw his tops/work first hand, i scheduled the build before i even drove all the way home. to me its the best of both worlds, a hi-top (mild one) as well as a pop top. ive owned VW westy's, lived in Vancouver and saw lots of GTVR's, been in plenty of SMB penthouse tops and i really liked this option alot. for a guy who is used to doing all of his own work i think that says alot that im having it done. my interior build out (down stairs) will happen later by me--this winter probably
coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #37

Well, OK. But we'll need pictures or it didn't happen.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #38

Also, be mindful of the head clearance of all conversion roofs when the roof is closed. In my 2005 Ford, with the SMB low profile (but not "garageable") penthouse roof, I have about 3 in. clearance (I'm 6 ft), when sitting in the rear seat of my Westfalia-style conversion. I wouldn't want much less...
John
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller
Also, be mindful of the head clearance of all conversion roofs when the roof is closed. In my 2005 Ford, with the SMB low profile (but not "garageable") penthouse roof, I have about 3 in. clearance (I'm 6 ft), when sitting in the rear seat of my Westfalia-style conversion. I wouldn't want much less...
John
Thank you. I was wondering what the head clearance was for the GTRV. I don't think a 6 footer could siit on the rear bench with it closed if the SMB PH allowes you only 3 inches. GTRV'ers???
Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
Thank you. I was wondering what the head clearance was for the GTRV. I don't think a 6 footer could siit on the rear bench with it closed if the SMB PH allowes you only 3 inches. GTRV'ers???
Bench in a 50 with the SMB top down and PH bed in place, I have a comfortable amount of room above my head. At I'm 6'0" and the rails (or PH bed bottom) is lower than the roof, I'd say right about the drip rail height.

Of course the GTRV bench could be higher, but I thought the bed was thinner and everything collapsed to about the drip rail level as well.... never seen one in person so it's hard to say.

Just remember you can always slouch!