Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #1

Slate ... 2020 Sprinter Build

Slate (our 2020 Sprinter) is now officially on the road. This is a summary of our journey from the purchase of our 144 low roof 4x4 Sprinter in April 2020 to the recently completed build out.

First, thanks to this forum for providing valuable insight and helping shape the final product. The knowledge that is freely shared by folks like all of you are a significant part of making projects like this happen.

I was always a big fan of the VW California campervan layout. We also wanted to have a vehicle that could be used to haul a lot of stuff if we took out the back seat. And finally, living in the Upper Midwest we needed a vehicle with simple plumbing that was easy to winterize.

Slate started out as a bare cargo van. We did order all the cabin comfort features, upgraded entertainment system, and safety/driver assist options. It took about 14 (!) months between placing our order and the local dealer in Minneapolis finally receiving the van.

First order of business was adding windows. The Arctic Tern window used for the galley and C.R. Laurence for sliding door were installed by Minneapolis-based Quality Adventure Custom Vans. Sportsmobile North in Huntington, IN installed their Penthouse top along with an Alluminess roof rack and Fiamma 45s awning. We wanted a legit rear seat that could be used as a second bed and settled on the Travois 2 rail floor system with Sierra seat bed which was installed by Travois Vans in Henderson, NV. Mach 1 Stereo in Minneapolis did a very nice stereo upgrade that maintained the original MB infotainment system head unit.

Vanna Adventure Vans out of Fargo, ND did the heavy lifting by installing the Victron power system (with 2 Zamp 115W solar panels, shore power, Nations alternator, 330Ah LiFePO4 battery, inverter/charger), Eberspächer Airtronic diesel heater, Isotherm BI75 fridge, Ruvati sink, 30-gallon freshwater tank, 9-gallon grey water tank, Guzzle H2O water filter, bamboo cabinetry (including the stowable table) and lots of L-track. A Victron Cerbo GX touch panel is used to monitor all power related functions and water tank levels (freshwater and grey water).

Additional components include a portable Duxtop induction stove top (we like to cook outside whenever possible), Laveo Dry Flush toilet, Adventure Wagon Mule Bags, King cell booster, Rolef screens (for both slider and rear doors), Agile ARB Onboard Air Kit, Thule Telescopic Ladder, Solo Ranger portable fire pit, and racks/external storage solutions from OWL Vans.

Attached are a few pictures. Let me know if you have any questions about the build out. We are looking forward to breaking in Slate over the course of the summer.

Cheers,
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
03 slate.jpg   04 slate.jpg   05 slate.jpg   06 slate.jpg   07 slate.jpg  

08 slate.jpg  

texasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:53 PM   #2

Hello from Minneapolis! Great looking van, and love the ability to carry lots of cargo when needed! Similar goals with our van build. I'll wave if I see you on the road.

Hadn't heard of Quality Adventure Vans, but I'll look them up. Good to know there is a local upfitter!
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:04 PM   #3

This will be fun!
I didn’t see any suspension mods in your list. Are you still running stock suspension, tires and wheels?
Old 04-16-2023, 06:57 PM   #4

Beautiful interior, thanks for sharing!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:30 PM   #5

I was planning on having on having Quality Adventure Custom Vans (qacustomvans.com) do the full build out but they were in the process of moving to a new shop and were not ready to take on another build. David, the owner, is a good guy and this company is worth considering for a Sprinter or Dodge build out.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #6

I still have the stock suspension, wheels and tires. Next on the list is the Van Compass 4.3 System. I will likely go to a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T tires after I wear out the original skins. I'm ok with the stock steel wheels.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:40 AM   #7

Garage
Yeah, looks great. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #8

Nice build, love the fridge/freezer combo and the install. I too am partial to the standard roof with a pop top
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1952-2.jpg   image-41.jpeg  
Adventurerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #9

Nice lookin rig!
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
144" wwb, mercedes sprinter, penthouse top, solar panels, sprinter 2020