Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

This is tempting...

I really would like to know which engine. With that V8 sticker it has to be a diesel or a 5.4 and I've never seen a B van like that with a 5.4. Almost all of that style, with holding tanks and a heavy, fixed top conversion were 460's, then V10's or diesels after 96-97.

Google images shows the Powerstroke V8 emblem to be all silver like the one on the van.

Ok, 2nd edit on this one, but I'm intrigued. Just found this on YouTube. Probably a 5.4 since they made other ones. And in 1997 this would be tripe first year of the tritons when they had some spark plug issues, etc. buyer beware!
Anyway, neat setup. Essentially it's an Airstream B190 direct knock off, which is not a bad thing.

http://youtu.be/0_gq1Jypcy4

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: This is tempting...

Once y'all settle which engine this has (its most like a 5.4 Trition BTW ) please understand the issue of blown spark plugs is highly overstated. Yes some did experience this and in most cases it can be attributed to incorrect installation of plugs somewhere along the line.

Following proven installation procedures as well as removal and you're likely to get 272K miles out of such an engine----I have. If a spark plug is blown out the fix is relatively easy for a motivated DIY'er. Its time consuming but can be done quite affordably by any number of local shops----you'd just have to call around getting their prices and warranty.

Anyway---if the price is right and the wife likes it could be a nice starting point.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #13

This is the Power Stroke emblem on my 2000 E350. I'm sure they changed through the years.

I will agree the projectile 5.4L spark plugs aren't a deal breaker. I have a E250 with a 5.4L and it's lost one spark plug, not a huge issue to fix.

What is a huge issue, is that for my use a 5.4L is underpowered. I realize each person is different, but one of the primary uses for my van is towing my rockcrawler or boat, the 5.4L barely gets the job done with stock tires on it. Lifted it would probably be pretty miserable. This is an empty RB cargo, I'm sure a EB with a full interior would feel even more underpowered.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-10-09 08.00.00 (Small).jpg  
Jeffh555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu
Another fellow Michigander. LenS an myself are the only other ones from MI I see. PM me if you are in SE MI. I have a 2wd hightop but would let your better half crawl around in it if she wants to see one live. There is a bit more dog hair in mine than others as my setters think it is their luxury kennel. All of the people that have ever taken a close look at the ice-cream van end up really liking it. I need to pull the trigger on some u-joint goodies soon and then it will transform.
Thanks for the offer catmandu...I just might do that. I didn't know that there was anyone else here from MI...I'm in Washtenaw County.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #15

When I moved from SoCal to MI, I rented a box van from Penske. It was based on an 2006 E-350 cutaway cab & chassis. Fully loaded and towing a car on a trailer (not a dolly, a full-on car trailer), I was amazed on how well it did crossing the Rockies. I stopped for gas one day and popped the hood. I expected to find a V-10 but it turned out to be a 5.4.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #16

Class B! Here's one with a 6" lift & 37's squeeezed under for the heck of it. Massive sway bar up front keeps in driving nice, WAAAY better than stock!

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #17

Or just go all out with a C!

ujointoffroad.com
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #18

Nice van Chris. Those Airstream 190's were nicely done.

That C is cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on Slickrock Trail in Moab!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

Me either! It wouldn't uh..... hold together?!?!?

I should have stated that both of the Class C rigs I've done have been strictly for beach use.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Me either! It wouldn't uh..... hold together?!?!?

I should have stated that both of the Class C rigs I've done have been strictly for beach use.
LOL! Insert sounds of cracking plywood and buckling carpet...