Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #1

Trouble with Propex HS2000

Well, I have recently had an issue with my Propex HS 2000, and when I went online to try to find out what it may be I did not find any useful information. Therefore, here I am to tell you what happened.
I have a propex propane furnace under my 3rd row rear seat. I have inflow and outflow tubes running through the floor from there. I have a copper tube running from the back of the furnace inside, over the rear tire, and then outside along the frame rail to a downward-facing quick connect on the rear bumper. This works really well with a BBQ tank that I can either place on the ground or run out of my vented Aluminess box on the rear bumper. This way being in SoCal and not really needing a furnace all that often I can remove the propane from the van and not need the spend of a mounted tank.
When there is an issue with the furnace it is communicated to the user by a series of red light blinks on the wall mounted thermostat. I have had issues in the past of low voltage, low propane pressure, blocked airway, etc... all communicated from 1 to 5 blinks. The issue I had this time however, was no blinks and it would just die. I searched and searched and found nothing with that search criteria.
Problem> turned the thermostat on to full heat, the fan started up and after a minute or less you could hear the ignitor fire up. Then after about 10 or so seconds, the fan would sound like it was straining from full power to about 80 and back to full. Then it would simply shut off and have no light blinks to indicate why. I recreated this problem 10 times in a row. Tested propane connections, reinstalled another quick connect. NOPE. Tested the connection with a multimeter, seemed fine. But then I was about to give up and uninstall it and send it back to GO Westy in CO. But I just cut the wires. I then ran temp wires to the Van battery and it all worked fine. Turns out that somehow the connections to the Aux Battery were sort of ok but not under load. If any of you without a friend or a lift have removed that battery box ...its no thrill. I did it on the 20 degree ground in March in Winter Park whan I reinstalled the new AUX battery. Seems that this process may have flawed the connection and this is where the issue was. SO then I rewired it all, ran new lines instead of directly to the AUX, I ran them back to the second fuse box that I installed on the back passenger side. This seems to have solved the issue.
I just hope that if anyone else is unsure of how or what to do that this may be helpful. I was a half step from shipping it back for something that was so very basic. But... lesson learned and if it helps one person, then it was all worth it. See ya out there on the road.

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:09 PM   #2

Great info and exactly what makes this a great forum.

Thanks for sharing!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:38 PM   #3

Classic need for large wire diameters in long, high draw 12 volt circuits.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:22 AM   #4

Darkstar,

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

They remind me of the old mechanic's adage:

"First - hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't fix it, then hit it with a BIGGER hammer. If it still doesn't work - then your problem must be electrical."

; )

Timerider
Old 10-05-2023, 11:24 PM   #5

Quite an ordeal, thanks for sharing. I can add to this another problem that is hard to figure out. These units have a 2 amp slow blow fuse internally. Meaning if it goes you have to remove all electrical, air ducts, vent ducts, etc and mounting. Then you have to take the entire top off of it to replace a tiny ass fuse. Not fun at all.

I had mounted my propex HS2211 under the van with a 20lb manchester tank. I plumbed all of the lines and hired a shop to connect the propane and test for leaks. They couldn't get it to fire up at all because it was 90 degrees outside. I took the van back home and finished the install of my electrical system and found that the thermostat had no power. Talked to GOWesty finally and order a new fuse.

Just watch out for shorts or crossing wires anywhere in your electrical system because it will blow this fuse. Hope this helps.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #6

Time to relocate that fuse to a more accessible position.

Tags
furnace, furnace blinking, hs2000, propex