Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #11

Re: UJoint V4 Awsome at SEMA

I love this vehicle.

What I love about my SMB is that I can drive it about town and park it in my driveway. For me it is the perfect destination vehicle when traveling for 4 nights or less. I bought my SMB for weekend trips and this would open another dimension to my travels.
I find the SMB to be claustrophobic when having to do anything behind the drivers seat if the penthouse is not up.

The idea that one can own a 4x4 camper that offers an actual shower and true dining area is incredible with 4x4 capabilities. Not to mention the idea of not having to climb down from the penthouse bed in the middle of the night to do anything except read and have great sex and sleep.

There is nothing, to my knowledge, that serves the marketplace of being between 20-26 foot vehicle offering as much as this one does.

I love how compact it is. If I were in the market for a new 4x4 "SMB" type vehicle with the price tag at being over $100K it would be one of these new type of creations.Either from SMB, Chris or another.

Of course, SMB is now building a version of the same type of vehicle which is also fantastic. I think it is going to take off road travels within the United States to the next level.

I think that is what makes these recreation vehicles so attractive in that they are offering more options to fit the various needs of their owners. I think it will open up a whole new market for those who wish to travel for more than a short period of time off the beaten track.

My hat is off to Chris and his people for having the guts to get into this venture.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
NO.

You lose everything that is valuable about a van, gain everything bad about a bubble B without the benefits, get an impossible engine bay without any advantage over a F series, all on a platform that's scheduled to be out of production.

This is so wrong in so many ways, and it only needs a built in ATV to be more garish and useless.

Edit: sorry Chris
Yowza!! I think you gain because its a van. Under 19' overall with a 10' flat bed. When the camper isn't in use, take it off and you have a work ready ready for action. Not a one trick pony like a contained camper van. And I don't think van engines are hard to work on, it's easier in many ways. There are tons of great cab/chassis out there to build up, and they'll be in production until 2019.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Yep, mixed thoughts on this rig:
Really attractive "look" on first sight, and big ol' congrats to Chris on the execution, all-pro.
Is it the beer goggles, or am I really seeing 8 shox up front. Ride quality? Height issues?
Agree with Jage, some loss of utility compared to regular ol' vans.
Gotta love a brother for trying something new, and completing the thought.

OK, Chris, we need to hear from you, your reviews on the overall utility of this new thang, 'cause none of us have any way to gauge without your voice.
Dual shocks with remote res, 4 total up front. Ride is great, same as all of my conversions. Haven't measured overall height yet, I'll have a full spec sheet as soon as I get back to NC. I'll guess 11'?
ujointoffroad.com
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I found the ladder very scary to climb into and out of the rig, particularly out. It was very unstable, the stairs were to small and there was no handrail on the steps or on the side of the rig by the door. The inside was very cold -- notice the white everything. It also looks to have a high center of gravity. I would be concerned about taking corners to quickly. Finally, my SMB is too high to go under some of the overhangs I've confronted on various trails. This rig is a lot higher. Conclusion: It may be interesting to look at at SEMA, but I wouldn't want to own one.
Ladder was built in about 30 minutes as we rushed to finish. Will be replaced soon with a wider unit that slides into the sub frame. No problem with stability so far, feels good. Not as stable as my last van, but this is much heavier with no sway bars. Passing big rigs at speed on 2 lanes feels great.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #15

The bottom line is that I build this rig for ME to meet the needs of my wife & I. Since I'm in NC and take a lot of trips out west, I wanted more comfort and to avoid hotels. More room & comfort than a regular van can offer. All Xp's have been on a truck chassis so far, and I wanted to think outside the box and obviously do a van chassis since that's what I do for a living. I pulled this thing out of a junkyard less than a year ago and it's been quite a build. I know that some guys get it and some don't, if everyone thought it was cool than it wouldn't be so cool would it???

Look forward to posting pics of V4 doing its thing all over the country, big thanks to everyone that helped with the big and everyone else that "gets it".
ujointoffroad.com
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Site Team

Glad to hear the ladder will be replaced. I have to agree that this rig felt more spacious inside. And it was fully contained with a toilet and shower. And I really liked the under-the-bed storage. And it definitely is unique! It's great to see what people with talent can do with a vehicle.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

I think it's a smart looking rig. What would be nice is if you could convert it to a walk through and put the spare on the back. Maybe an air plane type hatch which folds down that has real steps of some sort for the main entry. Myself I don't care about taking off the camper but I guess it would be a selling point to some.

So is there a plan to build these vehicles on a regular basis?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #18

WoW Chris that thing is SIC! I live in Wilmington NC and I want to drive to Asheville and see that thing! U Joint always seems to be pushing the progressive pages of form and function.
Chris as to our conversation about my 2001 7.3, thanks for all your help with my home build.
jarvisjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #19

I like it. I build my stuff for me. I have people bitch about my choppers often, but who gives a rip. It's my build and I'm not looking for cudo's from the masses. That's what all this is about in my opinion. Build what you like for you and your needs. If you're building for what others think you're backing up. I like it (not that it matters) and if Chris likes it (which I know he does), then that's all that matters. Keep on keeping on Chris. Great work as always. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I think it's a smart looking rig. What would be nice is if you could convert it to a walk through and put the spare on the back. Maybe an air plane type hatch which folds down that has real steps of some sort for the main entry. Myself I don't care about taking off the camper but I guess it would be a selling point to some.

So is there a plan to build these vehicles on a regular basis?
Thanks. We've discussed a pass thru many times, and I don't think it's worth it. Because this camper was designed for a truck and the van body is much taller, the camper sits up pretty high. The pass thru would be more of a crawl thru for small people and it would kill some valuable space inside the camper. Some storage and water capacity would be lost since the tank is right there. My wife likes the 75 gallons!

And yes, hoping to build some more V4's!
ujointoffroad.com