Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
Site Team

Very unique 2005 "Chinook"

Came across this. Very nicely modded and built IMO. No affiliation.
Buy It Now at $149.9K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324577224592

This 2005 Ford E450 is a complete custom 4X4 Class B RV. Originally sold as a Ford E450 6.0L Turbo Diesel Cab & Chassis Ambulance Package and modified by Quigley Motor Company into a 4 Wheel Drive, this unit served a small volunteer fire rescue company in the mid-west, after being converted into an ambulance.
In 2016 the ambulance with only having traveled slightly over 12,000 miles was retired from service. The ambulance box was removed, and the Cab & Chassis was sold. In 2017 a gentleman who owned a custom fabrication automotive shop, purchased the unit to build a one-of-a-kind Overland RV. Absolutely no expense was spared in the construction of this unit.
A 2004 Chinook 19’ Class B RV was purchased from a local RV dealer since it shared the identical wheel-base as the Ambulance Cab & Chassis. The Chinook 19’ is a legendary Class B body, known mostly for its monocoque body construction, which is why it was selected for an Overland application. A monocoque body is a fiberglass body without any seams, meaning it’s built much like a boat is constructed and stands a much higher chance of handling off-road terrain.
Once the Chinook was secured the two vehicles underwent an extensive transformation consisting of hundreds of hours of customization and after nearly a year of work, the results speak for themselves. The factory engine is the 6.0 liter Power Stroke Turbo Diesel, which was went through to address all of the well know issues. (see details below)
The Chinook Body and interior were completely renovated with modern appliances and all new smooth coated and cleared cabinetry. The headliner was completely redone with a matching suede headliner. The seat upholstery is a durable leatherette style material, and the flooring is a highly durable rubber base mat for easy cleaning and great insulation.
This floor plan consists of a large queen size fold out bed, full kitchen and a private shower and toilet. Also unique to this rig is the full solar roof with tesla style batteries. No need for a generator with this unit. It also has the ability to hook up to shore/land power when at RV parks.
The Black Tank was removed since the installation of a new cartridge toilet was installed. It still retains its original Fresh Water Tank and Custom-made Gray Water Tank for the Sink and Shower.

Engine & Suspension upgrades:
UCF Machine Shop O-Ring Cylinder heads
New OEM Ford Rocker Arms
New OEM Ford Injectors
Bullet Proof Diesel Complete Oiling system upgrade including Square EGR Cooler (Upgraded engine oil filtration, larger oil cooler,
New OEM Ford Headgasket Kit
New ARP Head studs
Bullet Proof Diesel Billet Water Pump
Bullet Proof Diesel Upgraded 7.3L Mechanical Fan and Adapter
New OEM Garrett Turbo GT3782VA
Custom mounted Upgraded Ford F350 Intercooler
HPS Silicone Hose Coupliers
PPE Diesel Aluminum Finned Transmission Deep Pan
4” Ceramic Coated side-exit exhaust
Agile Tuned FOX front and rear shocks
Agile Tuned Fox Steering Stabilizer
Agile Front Variable Rate front springs
Hellwig 1.5” rear sway bar kit
SD Truck HD 10-leaves Rear Leaf Spring Pack
Air Lift Wireless Rear Air Bag leveling system
Rigid Industries exterior lighting throughout
Full Force Diesel custom tunes with SCT Flash X4
Mopar Aluminum Dually wheels custom fitted
245/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar Tires

Body & AC upgrades:
New Mach 8 Plus Cub A/C and heat Unit
New Dometic 9500 Manual Awning
New Manchester propane tank and valve
New Suburban SW6DE water heater

Starlight Solar Power Systems kit
Midnite Classic 150 Solar Charge controller
LithiumRV Battery 400AH Package
Go Power! Industrial Pure Sine Wave Inverter (3000w continuous power)
Go Power! Inverter Remote
~700W of Solar

Custom-made rear steel bumper with spare tire swing-out.
Custom aluminum ladder “bumper to roof”.
Custom aluminum Can and off-road rack holder.
Custom paint and Graphichs.
Custom fabricated Raptor LED taillights.

Cab & Chassis:

Equipped with 2018 Ford OEM front end components, consisting of:
Hood.

Fenders.
Headlight assemblies.
Bumper.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

A nice machine, but I don't understand the "everything is gray" craze. Would like to see more color, and warmth, come back into style.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
A nice machine, but I don't understand the "everything is gray" craze. Would like to see more color, and warmth, come back into style.
RV interiors are just like kitchen designs. All white was a crazy for a while. Now grey is in fashion. Shag will never make a comeback.

This rig is pretty insane. I'd own it if I had a place to store it. Not gonna fit in a driveway
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

It does look very nice.

Though, all that space in side seems to be underutilized. Maybe that is my small van brain at work, but it seems like you could get a look more out of all that space inside.

I mean, in my RB Ford, I can seat 8, sleep 4, go to the bathroom inside if absolutely necessary, cook, clean in a sink, and get cold drinks from my fridge, and seat 4 at a table to eat dinner inside if the weather is crap outside. Not all of that at once mind you! I would think that is also the case for many vans on this forum.

The active part of me would love to see more of a "garage" space in that thing tbh.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
RV interiors are just like kitchen designs. All white was a crazy for a while. Now grey is in fashion. Shag will never make a comeback.
Yes that's very true. I've seen some photos of home interiors lately that I could swear were taken in black and white. No color anywhere.. cold and lifeless.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

Garage
Lot there that makes you actively ponder its existence in your driveway...I just cant live with the added graphics. Other than advertising your own business, I don't understand why someone would feel compelled to have something like "overland" part of the scheme.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #7

Because it will boost your instagram following by 18%

Duh
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Lot there that makes you actively ponder its existence in your driveway...I just cant live with the added graphics. Other than advertising your own business, I don't understand why someone would feel compelled to have something like "overland" part of the scheme.
Part of me thinks this was an exploratory vehicle for a new van conversion business. The graphics just scream product-branding.

Herb
Old 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #9

I like it! Although, like all Chinooks, the interior layout sucks.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #10

I agree with rallypanam!! Also not all that keen on the upholstery job.