Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 PM   #21

?? what's the copper paste for?

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #22

If would know that…
But there is no corrosion anywhere (so I rule out rust agglomerates) and I found it mainly on the side facing the transmission. Wiping it off it felt/ looked like copper paste…
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #23

Update:
Transmission's back together and waiting for reinstall Thursday/ Friday, when the new torque converter arrives.

All springs, rings, drum fit in the place they're supposed to and I have the feeling that all parts that came out are back in :-D

Only "strange thing":
I can rotate the output shaft and see the input rotating, but ONLY when I remove the overdrive servo pin.
I know that the output shaft alone (without anything else in the housing) is fairly hard to turn. I used the slip yoke to get some grip. The bushing was the right one and slipped over the shaft, but now, assembled, it's a bit tighter. I hope this is only about having the ATF in and getting some lubrication.

With the servo pin in, I can't turn it at all, but out I can turn as if the output shaft was the only part in. So I hope the servo pin is being pushed back once the oil pressure is there.

Any input here? Does that sound about right?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #24

Next update:
Spend the last 2 hours to disassemble and reassemble my transmission again. Somehow had the strange feeling the output shaft bushing wasn‘t right…

So everything out, also the bushing. The one mounted didn‘t even slide over the output shaft, seems like some mills missing… the new one worked better, so I put it in.

With pressing it in it got much better, but the more I assembled the less the output shaft could be rotated.
Eventually I can‘t even rotate it by hand…(yes, out of park :-))

For now:
I guess it‘s just all the new frictions that‘s adding additional withstand…

Let‘s see. At least I‘m fairly convinced I put everything back in the right way. Waiting for Thursday to put it in.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #25

Soooooo! Got my torque converter today and installed the transmission!

Good and bad news :-)

The good:
No serious cracking/ breaking noise ��

The bad:
Van doesn‘t start anymore ��

So here is what happened:
Installed, filled up with 6qt ATF and prefilled the TC with 1.5qt.
Fired it up and heard some metal sheet noise
—> ok. I couldn‘t turn the TC by hand so I could only install one nut on the bolts TC to engine. Fair enough…
After 10s noise stops, everything was super smooth.
Turned off engine after 20-25s.

The firing up was under heavy load so I guess same topic why I couldn‘t turn my TC earlier.

Added 6qt more and a second nut on the TC.
Fired up and it started again, no noise at all.
Excited as I was I shifted through the gears SUPER NICE AND SMOOTH. I can‘t recall whether or not the van moved/ jiggled when I put in the gears.
Then after like 10-15s the engine started to get „rough“ and rpms were going between 600-900 and then eventually rpm went down and engine died. :-(

Since then I can‘t start the engine at all. Battery seems fine, lights turn on, dashboard lighting up.
„Engine check“ light on, but ok: engine is not running yet.
When I want to start, NOTHING happens. No noise, no try to turn, no clicking.
Engine fuse box showed all fuses ok.
So I assume I shot my starter when the load was too high.
If the battery is ok and the starter would be ok, I should at least hear that it wants to start, wants to turn the TC…

So in case there is no further input I go and get a new starter. Connect it and test whether or not it‘s turning and go from there.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:27 AM   #26

Sounds like your park/neutral selector is not working properly. Thereby not letting the system power the starter.
I would at least start there
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #27

A buddy of mine just went through the transmission from his 2001 Mustang about a month ago. It would hardly turn after the install. he R&R'd it a couple times, then took it to a guy that figured it out in an hour.

In his case, the transmission wouldn't turn (like it should) after he finished rebuilding it, because in internal seal had partially melted and mushed into an area (that wasn't obvious), he added the new seal from the kit during re-assmbly. By not seeing and knowing to remove the melted one, and adding the new one, he had 1-1/2 seals thickness which took away the main-shaft endplay, and wouldn't allow it to turn easily.

When I helped him put it back in the second time, I could imagine a missed electrical plug would cause the dash to light up like a pinball machine, cause a no-start maybe, and I'd be looking for that.

Stick with it, you shall prevail!
Good luck!
Old 02-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #28

Here we go again…

First I checked the neutral switch and made sure it‘s in the right place. After playing around I could hear the starter clicking. Checked battery voltage: 12.56, all good.

Took off the corroded negative, wire brush cleaned it: engine started!

But it would be boring if everything would work [emoji23][emoji23]

Problem:
While the shift linkage is moving, it‘s not shifting.
In all gears the van slowly starts moving forward at 2.500-3.000rpm!
No reverse, no difference when shifting.

Another thing I noticed:
13.9 qt go in. Right now I‘m at 13qt.
But the dip stick is just covered in oil far above max although I let it run for 20min.

Other hints:
- reverse band seemed to be fairly tight
- all clutch packs replaced. The snap rings all went in well and had min play (didn‘t measure anything though). All frictions have been soaked for 10min in Mercon V.
- new TC (1700-1900 stall) clonked 3 times and I was able to turn it nice when the trans was sitting on my bench
- all accumulators/ servo pistons are new (transgel‘ed when put in)
- with the shift lever I can feel I moved to the next gears. Super smooth, but still feeling it.
- all snap rings in the housing went in well
- plastic insert/ disc on the pump could PERHAPS be one size off
- just tried to turn the TC: no chance by hand

All in all, especially seeing so much oil on the dip stick I would have the feeling the pump doesn‘t work properly, not distributing the oil and not creating enough pressure…

Could that cause the high rpm before the van starts moving…?!?

Will now start reading/ thinking and update accordingly a

Happy to get any input thoughts.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #29

E-350, first off congrats for having the nads to rebuild a modern auto tranny in your garage.

Secondly, the issues your having is the reason 99% of us don't rebuild our own auto tranny's.

Thirdly, we all hope you figure this out so us secondly's will have the sack to become firstly's one day.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #30

[emoji23] always looks so easy on youtube hehe