Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Ford Diesel Repair Manuals

Hi,

apologies if my question is covered in a previous thread - i used the search and couldn't find anything, so here goes -

What are folks using that have the 7.3L powerstroke engine for basic repair manuals? All i could find for the Chilton or Haynes manuals for the E-series Ford vans were for the gasoline engines, and then there is a generic "diesel repair" manual you have to buy in addition that covers ford and chevy also i believe.

In short of ordering the specific manuals from ford (pricey) does anyone out there with a diesel have a basic repair manual they can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: Ford Diesel Repair Manuals

Short of changing oil and filters, there isn't much that we can do to the engines. A good place to look for information is on the DieselStop forums:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/ For E-Series Vans
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/ For 7.3L diesels

For the 7.3L there is a Crank Position Sensor that can fail and strand you. It can be changed, and I have seen how-to's on the Van forum.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

I don't think you can beat the factory Ford manuals for a good price. There are a few on eBay right now. Here's a couple: Item Nos. 190014177950 and 360121048186. They will have way more info than you'll probably need, but the price is right and you never know.

Ford had a factory recall on the 7.3L diesel engine recently (I think it was the crank position sensor) something about if it failed the engine wouldn't start. I'd check with Ford to make sure your rig is up to date.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #4

I bought a complete set (3) of 7.3 Ford shop manuals via Ebay for our 2002 SMB. They are very good. The only problem is their sheer size and weight. Probably not something you want to haul around in the SMB. CD's would be better for that. Although the manuals go beyond what most people ever need, they can be handy for lots of small things, too. At least you can see how things fit together or sort out the wires. Regarding the cam position sensor on the 7.3, Ford did a recall to replace this item, so if you haven't had it replaced, don't wait. You could be facing a long walk in the desert. If you already had some non-Ford shop replace it, Ford will reimburse you the full cost if you have the receipt. Go to any Ford dealer, even if you had it done a long time ago. I just turned in a receipt from 2005 and got my $250 back. If you repaired it yourself, maybe Ford will pay for the part. I don't know if the replacement part Ford used for the recall is an improved version, but I carry an extra just in case. If it dies, you are stranded, and it's an easy repair in the field if you have the part, a wrench, and a large screwdriver.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #5

I'm only getting two volumes for my 2003? Anyway, don't waste your money on the Haynes manual. To call it basic and very general would be an over statement.

Like mentioned above, www.dieselstop.com is a good place for info (just not in the E-Series forum). You best chance for answers to questions will be in the appropriate F-series forum (just don't tell 'em its a van). We don't need no stink'n innercooler.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #6

Thanks all! Got one of the EBay manuals for 20 bucks plus shipping. Not bad!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #7

diminimis - from the eBay source, I bought Vols 1 and 2 plus a separate book of wiring diagrams for around $50. The wiring book looks good, showing not only schematics but also various plug profiles and drawings of actual physical wiring clusters, etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

I'm not talking to you. I paid over $100 for the 2003 two volume set (and its still not here).
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

Sorry Wade! If i run in to you down the peninsula and you are broke down, you can leaf through my repair manual, no worries.