Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Front Coils.....Help!!!

Hey All,

New SMB owner here in need of some help.

I recently brought home a 94 SMB (E-250 chassis) with a Quigley 4x4 conversion.

The front coils are pretty much done and the rear leafs are de-arched a little. So I was thinking of purchasing stock E-350 coils and leaves. The idea behind this was to accommodate the increased load of a front bumper and winch and a rear bumper with a Spare and cargo box. (I spoke with Quigley and they used the stock 2wd coils and springs)

So will this work and where on god’s green earth do I get them from other than the dealer how wants 147 for 1 coil.

Oh and awesome web site. All of your posts help me make an informed decision. Here are a few pics!!!!!

wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #2

Hmmm, junkyard or aftermarket maybe. The problem is that your stock E250 2wd coils have already failed this challenge- you need to do research and find out whether the stock E350 coils are any different.

Consider that the only difference between my 99 F250 and a 99 F350 is one little add-a-leaf in the rear. Oh and the badges. Otherwise they're identical down to the nut.

If you just want to get some level back you might try coil spacers- not necessarily your best ride but they work and are cheap. As long as the ride is level currently your springs should be ok with this.

If you want to change the ride quality too- well even if the E350 springs are heavier duty you might not like the result. Unfortunately that opens up a new can of worms- ride height, spring rate, etc. And then you're talking 4x4 shop who can determine what is best for your van...

Seems like a quagmire, but admittedly I'm not familiar with Quigley.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

I have a set of 04 E350 coils for a diesel. They are rated at 4400# and may be too stiff. But, they are easy to change.

Where are you located?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #4

coils

Make sure you inspect the welds on the quad links for cracks. Quigley will work with you in replacing them to upgraded units if they are cracked. You may want to call the folks at Quigley, they are great to work with. Have your VIN # ready and they can tell you exactly what springs you need, or what you can upgrade to. If you can get in touch with Tiger at Quigley, you'll get all the information you'll need, he is extremely knowledgeable. Their number is 800-233-9358. You can also reach them at http://www.quigley4x4.com/ .

Good Luck!

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I have a set of 04 E350 coils for a diesel. They are rated at 4400# and may be too stiff. But, they are easy to change.

Where are you located?

Mike
Im in Long Beach, but I have no idea what the rate of a stock 2wd coils are. Any thoughts???
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #6

Re: coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kalmbach
Make sure you inspect the welds on the quad links for cracks. Quigley will work with you in replacing them to upgraded units if they are cracked. You may want to call the folks at Quigley, they are great to work with. Have your VIN # ready and they can tell you exactly what springs you need, or what you can upgrade to. If you can get in touch with Tiger at Quigley, you'll get all the information you'll need, he is extremely knowledgeable. Their number is 800-233-9358. You can also reach them at http://www.quigley4x4.com/ .

Good Luck!

John K.
Thanks for the info!! I'll check the quad links. And I've already contacted Quigly and was told that the fornt suspension in the stock 2wd springs and shocks (in the front) and stock leafs with lift blocks in the rear and longer shocks.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesel123
Im in Long Beach, but I have no idea what the rate of a stock 2wd coils are. Any thoughts???
They are probably in the 36-3800# range. It is really hard to say; the springs are picked by a computer program based on weight of options, etc.

If you have a micrometer or an accurate set of calipers, I could lookup the springs once you measure the wire diameter to within .005".

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote