Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #11

got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

I can give a little more info on the towing tune. I got it because i had three to choose, and when I bought this van, i had a 31' Airstream. I sold the trailer before I got the tune, but I never rule out the possibility of buying a camper or trailer at any time. I love to tinker with them, sometimes just to buy and sell. Also, I load my van pretty heavily when we take a long trip and I thought the towing tune might actually be better than stock for a heavily loaded van with no trailer. What I experienced is that the shift points are greatly changed. I think what Mike tries to accomplish is for the vehicle to not hunt for gears and lose momentum on acceleration and climbs. It really revs out each gear, which is pretty helpful from a dead stop or when on a long steady grade. Like I said, I tried this tune without a trailer back there and I'm sure I would really like it with one. 4500lb. though isn't a huge load for a 5.4 van, my trailer was 7500lb and I know many people tow even more than that with the 5.4s.
I don't use my van everyday but as soon as I get ready to drive it I will switch the tune and give you some info. Mike told me it was pretty boring, I mean, you can't have everything so in order to see any actual mpg benefit, I'm sure he has to really detune it significantly from stock.

Also, Mike can do a lot if you tell him what you need. He is very popular on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums if you want to read up a little more, and he will answer the phone in person if you call and set things up how you want them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #12

Re: got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I can give a little more info on the towing tune....

Also, Mike can do a lot if you tell him what you need. He is very popular on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums if you want to read up a little more, and he will answer the phone in person if you call and set things up how you want them.
Thanks again for the additional info. It's always nice to hear from someone who's "been there, done that" with a similar rig. I'll have to call Mike and see if the tunes are actually available for a 1997, and then decide if I need/want one. It is something I had thought about before this last trip (my first with the SMB - nothing like starting out with a short jaunt ), but didn't get to before leaving.

My SMB is an E-250HD and has a GCVW rating of 13,000# I'm reasonably confident that I was under that with my tow, but until I weigh the loaded van by itself, I'm not sure how much leeway I had with the GCVW or the gross rear-axle weight rating. I was conservatively figuring 8,000# for the loaded van (2WD RB with just a driver and a relatively light load, empty tanks - well, except for the gas tank ), and 4500# for the boat/trailer for 12,500# GCW. My trailer is a tandem with brakes on both axles, so that helps. It also has a relatively streamlined frontal area (boat). There is a scale here I can run over, and the van is still loaded the same, so I should be able to get accurate figures for loaded van/each axle soon.

I can say that I felt fine power-wise, and as long as I kept it out of overdrive, the transmission temps were plenty cool for my comfort level. I was slow going up and over the big passes, but that didn't surprise or bother me.

Okay, probably getting a bit off-topic here, but I do appreciate your info and welcome any further info you care to post on the topic. Seems like there are not that many SMB's with the 5.4
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #13

4500# for the boat/trailer for 12,500# GCW. My trailer is a tandem with brakes on both axles, so that helps. It also has a relatively streamlined frontal area (boat).

Sorry if I seem rude, out of place or if highjack this thread a little bit but what kind of boat needs a tandem axle trailer with both axles of brakes and the total package only weights 4500 lbs? Is it a bass (or ski) boat or something like that? It seems like even a small tandem axle boat trailer assuming it is steel would weigh at least 1500lbs. So is the boat only 3000 lbs? I was just wondering as I have only had offshore boats and my last one was only 27.5 feet with a single big block but it still was almost 6,000 lbs dry. Its trailer was all steel and also tandem axle with both axle brakes and it was almost 2,000 lbs. I dont know much about fishing (or ski) boats as you might guess. All I know is your rig must stop great with all that braking power. Good for you for getting more than the bare minimum. Some people go get any kind of trailer and dont even get brakes (it saves them money) and load them up and drive like hell without ever thinking about trying to stop.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Sorry if I seem rude, out of place or if highjack this thread a little bit but what kind of boat needs a tandem axle trailer with both axles of brakes and the total package only weights 4500 lbs? ...Good for you for getting more than the bare minimum. Some people go get any kind of trailer and dont even get brakes (it saves them money) and load them up and drive like hell without ever thinking about trying to stop.
Hi there - and no worries on the question(s). It's a 22' powerboat with a cabin and 90hp outboard. I think the basic boat/motor would be around 3000# and the trailer around 1500#. GVWR on the trailer is 5200#, and the boat has a fair amount of stowage capacity in the cabin, so I could easily see myself getting up to the GVWR on the trailer (with gear added for trips), even though I was "light" for this trip (empty tanks, no gear to speak of aboard). Actually, if I bought a new trailer, I would probably go for a wee bit more in the GVWR for the trailer - although I think this one is probably fine.

The boats come with around a 50/50 mix of single or tandem axle trailers (the single having larger wheels of course). I wanted a tandem because I planned to make some longer tows, although I would have accepted a single as well (bought boat used so trailer came as existed). The trailer came to me with rusted-out, non-functional drum brakes on one axle only, but had brake flanges on both axles. Since I had to get new brakes anyway, since I believe some states require brakes on both axles for my type of load, and since I'm not towing with a "massive overkill" vehicle (in terms of GCVWR), I decided to put brakes on both axles (I changed to discs as well). They're hydraulic/surge brakes, although I had in mind that I might conceivably switch to electric-over-hydraulic in future (that said, after towing from coast to coast, I found the surge brakes to work pretty well).

I also find that I'm not the type who can "forget it's back there" when I'm towing, and I also hate nagging worry (takes the fun out of it), so I decided to just err on the side of caution when re-fitting the trailer. That said, people tow the same rigs successfully with single axle trailers (with brakes) and Honda Pilot type vehicles (but then some folks know they will only be towing <100 miles, no mountains, etc.).

Although I had some second thoughts after buying the SMB - and looked at some pickup trucks - I'm now really glad I went with it. It felt plenty beefy for the tow and the "SMB-ness" of the van has been great for traveling. If I could snap my fingers and have a "tow/haul" 6-speed transmission I would, but that's more just because I "know" it would be better rather than a reflection of any actual problems with what I have. I know I'm towing a relatively light load in the grand scheme of things, and it mostly tucks in behind the van (rather than adding wind resistance). Also, it doesn't bother me to not "win the race" coming off every line, going over the passes, etc. In return I like the 16+ MPG when I'm not towing (of course it's all a series of trade-offs).

I think the one thing I really would change if I had one magic wish would be to go to a fixed high-top instead of the Penthouse roof. I can see that the Penthouse is fantastic, and a really unique feel - but for me the fixed top would work better. I have occasional fantasies of taking the PH off and putting on a fixed top. Anyone have a driveway, a hoist, and want a PH? (I need that project like a hole in the head, but.... )
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #15

Ordered the 5 Star tuner with IPad/Phone connection today. Should have it on Thursday before my trip to Big Bear. I'll report back with results.

Also spoke to BullyDog and they could not give me real numbers on the tune. One tune for everything.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #16

I ordered my 5 star yesterday. I'm really hoping it gets our 22' trailer up the hills with some gusto. It also wouldnt hurt my feeling if the econo setting got me a mile or two more.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

After reading this I went 5 stars site and filled out a request with my info and van info. Looks like I need to call in the morning.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #18

Mine showed up today. Been playing with the IPAD interface and seems to work great. I won't have the tunes until morning as they needed some info I could not get till I plugged in.

The one thing missing that I was really looking for was a Trans Temp sensor. Looks like there are two aux inputs so need to find out how to make that work.

When you change screens on the IPAD it drops the connection so you have to go through a couple steps to reconnect each time. Not sure yet if I like that setup. Might just get a dedicated monitor.

Looking forward to the weekend trip to test it all out. Leaving early in the am.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #19

Brent, curious what they needed to tune it? I filled out their online form and was half expecting a phone call. I got an email notice with tracking #.

I dont like being dependent on a bluetooth/iPad communication link. I wish there was a mechanical fall back plan . I'm hoping that by removing the unit, I am reset to OEM atleast.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #20

Info you don't have a certain code for them to flash your unit before shipping it can be done onsite. I installed the unit last night to read some codes and sent it to them this am. They emailed back in 30 minutes or so with 3 tunes. I downloaded them onto my Ipad and loaded them into the unit.

Leaving in an hour or so.

I think when you remove the device it flashes your van with your last settings. I believe they stay until you tell it to return to factory settings.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)