Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #1

New 6.0L E-350 Build plans, What else do I need?

Background: I have a self convert 5.4l e-350 I’ve lived out of for 3 years now, high top and extended. However, I recently got a 9,000lbs travel trailer and cannot pull it with my 10,000lbs gasser... So, I’m in the process of buying a 6.0L and am going to do a lot of work before I even drive it.

New Van: 2010 6.0L with 137k on it. Not a lot of miles, but getting to the point where things that need to be replaced, will start showing signs of wear, so I’d like to rip the band-aid off and fix anything that’s even remotely close to needing replaced, in addition to the normal bulletproofing, tuning, and 4wd swap.

Budget: currently, $60k (van, parts, labor) but I’m willing to spend more while the body is off this time, so that I don’t have to replace anything that’s even remotely hard to reach within the next 100k or so. So if you see anything missing, please let me know. All the labor will be done by my cousin and myself.

Parts list:

Engine and drive train
Stand pipe and dummy plug kit
Nipple cup kit
Blue spring kit
155/30 injector kit
Odawg sr3
Pushrods
New heads, gasket kit, arp studs
KC turbo stage 1 w/ 10fin
Coolant filter kit
Billet water pump
Ficm 48v sinister diesel
Ficm Edge Evolution 15051
PHP 4 tune license
SCT GTX tuner
SCT tunes
Oil cooler kit e350
Cold air intake w/filter
Fully wrapped exhaust
Doghouse & engine bay heat and noise shielding
1) aftermarket radiator, intercooler, & transmission cooler
2) 7.3 fan clutch
3) 4” turbo back exhaust w/dead cat

Suspension and body
Sterling 10.5 FF axle
Dana 60 Stage 2 FF front
4x4 conversion kit 6”
1” body lift (better engine bay air circulation and room for exhaust)
NV271 Transfer case
2 piece shifter upgrade
4) Dual Fox Shocks Upgrade
Sliding door extension

1) are these parts interchangeable on the 6.0L trucks? The aftermarket options for the trucks are way better than vans, but not sure if they will fit
2) is the 7.3L fan clutch the way to go? Or should I just do the blue wire mod and keep the stock fan clutch
3) hoping the 1” body lift will give the space needed for a bigger exhaust. Any thoughts on this?
4) Is the dual shock upgrade from ujoint worth it? 85% of driving will be done on pavement

Thanks all for the help!

Sasha_greyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:49 PM   #2

Here is my current rig and my trailer
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5C4D397-1236-4B88-B353-28DA74DB2668.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	44016
Old 05-30-2022, 06:41 AM   #3

Garage
That's a pretty comprehensive list, but since you are in there...
Replace Degas bottle
Engine wiring harness
Fuel pump
High output Alternator
HD Torque Converter (since you'll be towing a lot)
Sensors
Replace the Vacuum Brake booster, or upgrade to Hydroboost
You mentioned Trans cooler but no specific details - certainly will want to increase capacity (truCool or Derale hyper-cool)

Curious (and depending on funds) if you've considered just swapping in a new engine? The benefit here is the long block now has "0" miles on it as well - opposed to just rebuilding/replacing from the heads up.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
That's a pretty comprehensive list, but since you are in there...
Replace Degas bottle
Engine wiring harness
Fuel pump
High output Alternator
HD Torque Converter (since you'll be towing a lot)
Sensors
Replace the Vacuum Brake booster, or upgrade to Hydroboost
You mentioned Trans cooler but no specific details - certainly will want to increase capacity (truCool or Derale hyper-cool)

Curious (and depending on funds) if you've considered just swapping in a new engine? The benefit here is the long block now has "0" miles on it as well - opposed to just rebuilding/replacing from the heads up.
Nice! Thanks for the reply.

With the cooling system, we’re waiting until the van gets there so we can take measurements on everything before I pick out the parts. Really hoping I can fit aftermarket truck parts in, as the pickings are slim for van parts in most departments. Same with alternator.

Good idea on the wiring harnesses! I’ll let him know it’s in the budget if they look to need replacing, I haven’t read much about them being a common point of failure, are they?

Torque converter: should I just replace with stock or change my stall speeds? I was planning on asking the transmission guy that will be doing the rebuild about this one.

Hydro boost: is this def a good upgrade to go with? I saw on the forums an upgrade guide, but have done much further research.

Airdog or fass system will be installed, still doing research on them and which one is better.

New engine vs Top end rebuild: I’ve thought quite a bit about this one. One of the main factors is lead time, a built motor from KDD is 3-6months out... that being said, if it gets back to the shop and needs one, it needs one, and I’ll just have to wait. The cost difference is about $6k in parts (labor is same) so if the long block is in good shape, I’d really like to avoid the wait and put that $6k into other parts. $6k buys a lot of aftermarket goodies.

Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

For what it's worth, I did the 7.3 fan clutch on the my 6.0 project. It was engaged a lot, way too much. It was loud and there was no in between, it was either on full blast or not at all. I actually removed it and put a 6.0 clutch back in.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
For what it's worth, I did the 7.3 fan clutch on the my 6.0 project. It was engaged a lot, way too much. It was loud and there was no in between, it was either on full blast or not at all. I actually removed it and put a 6.0 clutch back in.
I was actually reading into that this morning. I think I’m gonna leave the fan clutch stock and just do the blue wire mod. I think that will be the best, and give me the option to run at 100% during stop and go, when I need the AC bad, and on grades (and even let me turn the fan on in anticipation of grades to get on top of cooling)
Old 05-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_greyvan View Post
I was actually reading into that this morning. I think I’m gonna leave the fan clutch stock and just do the blue wire mod. I think that will be the best, and give me the option to run at 100% during stop and go, when I need the AC bad, and on grades (and even let me turn the fan on in anticipation of grades to get on top of cooling)
I went with a 5-Star Tune, and had them program my 3 tunes to also engage the fan 'earlier' to help keep temps down. Has worked famously last 4+ years! Especially pulling long grades, and slow & steep crawls (when you don't get a lot of air flowing across the radiator).
Old 05-31-2022, 01:36 PM   #8

I put a KDD long block in mine. Putting the motor in is a large event.

Does it run now? If so than the APR studs and head gaskets should be good enough.
Are you pulling the cab to do the work?
The vans are neutered compared to the F series. If you have good indication of oil maintenance on it, I would think oil cooler( no dorman!!) / odawg / new injectors / new ICP would be enough.

You cold get those fancy new KDD aluminum heads.

The truck parts are the same except where they would hit the van. The ECU strategies are different when you get to tuning.

I have lots of "truck parts" on mine. The only thing to look out for are "van clearance things", like don't make the turbo taller, and the van oil filter / fuel regulator situation is unique and is an opportunity for fuel bowl delete and regulated return and dual bypass oil filter all at the same time.

I should write mine up, and share, as I did all that "right".
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post
I put a KDD long block in mine. Putting the motor in is a large event.

Does it run now? If so than the APR studs and head gaskets should be good enough.
Are you pulling the cab to do the work?
The vans are neutered compared to the F series. If you have good indication of oil maintenance on it, I would think oil cooler( no dorman!!) / odawg / new injectors / new ICP would be enough.

You cold get those fancy new KDD aluminum heads.

The truck parts are the same except where they would hit the van. The ECU strategies are different when you get to tuning.

I have lots of "truck parts" on mine. The only thing to look out for are "van clearance things", like don't make the turbo taller, and the van oil filter / fuel regulator situation is unique and is an opportunity for fuel bowl delete and regulated return and dual bypass oil filter all at the same time.

I should write mine up, and share, as I did all that "right".
It has an injector/fuel delivery problem at the moment. The body will be pulled for the heads/gaskets/studs, so all the labor to replace anything else while we’re in there is negligible compared to the cost of replacing any one part down the road, which is the main reason why I’m getting so much work done now. I have the funds to do everything at once, so it doesn’t really make sense to pull the body off and *just* do the heads, ya know?

I’d love to see a write up on yours if you care to post! The info on van specific 6.0 builds is rather lacking.