Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2023, 09:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The Amazon dimmer looks like a simple potentiometer.....need more info on the original one.

Assuming the lights are LEDs yes the pot should work.....you could install two pots, one for each zone. I would buy the Amazon pot and try it with the lamps before cutting anything. It may behave strange...or not.....

If you want on/off functionality and dimmer control you can find pots that have on/off capability as well. Ebay, Digi-Key or Mouser easy enough.

Can you provide a link to the Amazon potentiometer?

The on/off potentiometers have the on/off "click" at the beginning of the rotation...or you could wire in a separate on/off switch. That's how my ceiling lights work.
Ditto, the second switch was going to be my suggestion, if it clicks then this is your option. You can check before you install. Remember if it does not switch off it will create a parasitic draw on your power source.
There is another option to the set up. A three position similar looking switch to choose which zone you want to light. The power would go to the dimmer then to a switch for each zone. One of the switch post is off, the 2nd is zone 1 the 3rd is zone 2 both dimmable by yhe one dimmer. You would only be able to light one zone at a time unless you can get a 3 switch or a 12v wall switch that the one dimmer would feed. Of course you need to check load capacities on all items but this would permit one dimmer for all.

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The Amazon dimmer looks like a simple potentiometer.....need more info on the original one.

Assuming the lights are LEDs yes the pot should work.....you could install two pots, one for each zone. I would buy the Amazon pot and try it with the lamps before cutting anything. It may behave strange...or not.....

If you want on/off functionality and dimmer control you can find pots that have on/off capability as well. Ebay, Digi-Key or Mouser easy enough.

Can you provide a link to the Amazon potentiometer?

The on/off potentiometers have the on/off "click" at the beginning of the rotation...or you could wire in a separate on/off switch. That's how my ceiling lights work.
Ditto, the second switch was going to be my suggestion, if it clicks then this is your option. You can check before you install. Remember if it does not switch off it will create a parasitic draw on your power source. This happen to me when I made my multi gauge overhead console with a similar dimmer. I had 6 gauges trans oil, alt, oil pressure, oil temp, EGT & boost. By mistake I wired it to the + side of the head light switch. As we all know lights work without ignition being on so power was constant even though they were dimmed off. Eventually I wired it to ignition on and off, this way I could dim separately from dash light dimmer. With that in mind:
There is another option to the set up. A three position RV wall switch to choose which zone you want to light. The power would go to the dimmer then to the RV 2 switch for each zone. The 1st is zone 1 the 2nd is zone 2 both dimmable by yhe one dimmer. You would only be able to light one zone at a time unless you put a RV 3 wall switch that the one dimmer would feed. This would alow for under cabinet mood lighting Of course all these should be low draw LED's but you need to check load capacities on all items especially the dimmer, but this would permit one dimmer for all.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:14 PM   #23

Heres what I ended up doing. I found these two Facon dimmers with on/off switch on Ebay. I drilled a few holes for the dimmer wiring and a few holes for the light and power wiring. They are not the greatest dimmers but they work, they dim by tapping the switch and there's a light that shines when power is on. I prefer a slider switch for dimming but I didnt find anything I thought would mount easy. A big shout out to all that chimed in. Nice to know that help is out there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4653.jpg  
stevigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:37 PM   #24

Those look great
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #25
Orv

Garage
Yeah, very clean install!