Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Re: Factory dash switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I've never once even bumped any of my cig lighter devices.

That said... I've had my dash apart a few times, and on the right corner of the dash, next the stereo, there is already a cutout in the dash panel to accommodate another cig lighter! At least on mine, it's even prewired! I'm guessing it was suppose to to be an extra power point, but got nixed by the accountants.
Excellent! that's the exact spot that I was thinking...it's pretty much the only obvious viable spot....I guess I have to climb under the dash and take a look from the inside out.....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Ooh, that's good to know! (About the possible bonus powerpoint location.)

I don't bump "normal" plugs in the stock locations, but I have a (very small) inverter and that does totally get interfered with in Drive, plus one particular 12-volt plug that is a bit longer than others (12 volt computer cord).

The other "gotcha" I found was a very compact USB socket that, if put in the top powerpoint (not the cig lighter one but the one with the little door) was virtually impossible to "dig" out. Too compact! Now I only use that in the lower one.

The bonus location would be nice because I wouldn't have to have cords draping across where I'm moving drinks to/from the cup holder. We really do ask a fair bit of our "command central" driver's seats, don't we?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

I got tired of hitting everything while I put the van in park or drive... So I gave in and did this:
the little led on/off rocker switch is so I don't have to constantly unplug and wear out the cables.

but I do like the idea of having to factory switches to possibly be used for something other.

I also noticed the overdrive button is different than my 2001...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

Since I was playing around the dash area today, I "somewhat" pulled apart the switches and cig lighter power sockets.

The two switches at the top are traction control and backup sensors........I removed the backup sensor switch and attempted to remove either of the cig lighter power ports.....did not have success getting either of the power ports out even after referring to the factory service manual.

The depressions in the dash appear to be the same diameter, although the hole pattern at the bottom of the depressions for the various holes are different, as expected for "design for assembly" so the assemblers cannot put the wrong item in a hole.

It appears that with minor reworking of the hole patterns on the dash one could replace the power outlets with switches or vice versa. NOTE: I didn't get that far....to actually swap a lighter and a switch, but I got one of the power ports cocked sideways enough to see that it's hole pattern was different to the backup sensor switch hole. I was contemplating swapping the backup sensor switch with a power outlet......

My present plan is to add a couple of power outlets to the dash in other places away from the PRNDL lever.

On my 2008, there is not much room directly to the right of the radio to add an outlet, and no unused wiring..........I'm sure it has evolved out to save 14 cents in production.
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-14-2015, 01:24 AM   #15

i built in some switches and zig lighter into the dash. here some pics of it in the hope it will help some of you to find good places for your ideas

here the cigarett lighter on the passanger side

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1163.jpg   IMGP1164.jpg   IMGP1165.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:32 AM   #16

here i built in the switches for the seat heating system, parctronic and the rear camara

here are the switches and gauges for the airride. On the low end you also see the switch for the torque converter

sorry that i have no better pics in the moment
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1213.jpg   IMGP2182.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

......tell us more about the heated seats........did you transplant entire seats from something else or retrofit the existing seats?

What does the torque converter switch do?
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
......tell us more about the heated seats........did you transplant entire seats from something else or retrofit the existing seats?

What does the torque converter switch do?
i retrofit the Ford seats with an aftermarket heating system. Was very cheap and works great.
I used some like this (you need two of them)
http://www.amazon.de/Sitzheizung-Schalt ... H75VKVJAQN

A torque converter switch is used to close the torque clutch at the moment you want it and not the pcm....

here a copie from a threat i wrote:

as i am from europe and used to drive manual shifted cars i hate to drive my E350 (7.3 4x4) in a speed unter 55mls because than the torque clutch was open.
Result of this: the engine lost a lot of power to "curl" the oil in the torque converter and heat it up because of excessive wheelspin. Also the engine was in a very noisy range than.
Also the consuption is higher because of this.
So i decided to find a solution and try to give the tranny manual comands if i want.
I never understand why the program let this dinosaur of engine spin so much. It has so much torque and you should able to use it.

I built in an manual switch in the dashbord to give the torque clutch the comand to shift. It is an easy instalation and it works now since about 10000mls perfect.
Results:
-tranny oil temp was befor never under 170 and now most time between 140-150. Never goes over 170 if i use the switch
-consumption was before about 16-17mpg now 18-19mpg are possible. While driving constand 50mls the van uses in average 20mpg!
-more power to the rear wheels, a different words if you want to overtake! Like a kick in the ass
- much more comfort because now the engine rotates most time less than before.

The best thing i have ever built in!
Just never forget to switch it of if you come to a red light and you have to stop....otherwise the engine will remember you

I drive about 95% of the time with a closed torque clutch. I just do not use the switch in trafic jam or in small tight citys were the maximum speed is under 20mph
Old 03-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #19

Excellent! Great write-up on both the heaters and the TC switch........I'm surprised that others here haven't been all over the switch.......seems like a good idea for highway use.
2003 Honda Element