Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Getting rid of propane but what about the stove top?

I am planning to replace my Suburban heater with an Espar and to drop the propane tank.

I have a flush mounted stove top by SMEV I want to use the small 1 pound cylinder's. Has anyone done this? Do I need a regulator of some sort between the small cylinder's and the stove? The pressure inlet max, min and manifold is 1/2 psi which seems low to me.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

Re: Getting rid of propane but what about the stove top?

Yes, you should use a regulator. You can use your existing regulator and connect using a hose and a fitting like this:
http://www.bigway.com/image-viewer.h...ry/F27-170.jpg
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

So I envision screwing the 1 lb. cannister into a regulator that attaches to a hose attached to the stove. I was going to put the cannister in a compartment next to the stove top. I would only attach it when cooking.

I see this warning: Propane regulators are designed for OUTDOOR USE ONLY. Does this screw up my plan?

Thank you.

Keith
Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

In some situations, the regulator will vent propane out. Not sure why, but I've had a couple BBQs do it occasionally.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Keith

I'm also in the bay area down in the Cupertino area. I'm in the process of building up a homebuilt and would be very interested in purchasing your tank ,or maybe trade for helping you with your conversion,I'm a licensed contractor and can help with cabinet modifications and plumbing.

Thanks Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Keith

I just looked at my smev and it has a built in regulator and my manual shows it requires 12 to 14 WC(about .5 psi) so yes you do need a regulator on the bottle. Second I,m not sure its a great idea to keep the small propane cylinders in your van for two reasons,vans can get pretty hot in the summer causing the pressure relive valve to open(,I cant say i'v ever heard of this happening)and second I'v had several cylinder leak after you unscrew cylinder from my lanterns.
Another option is place the small cylinder in place of the larger propane tank maybe even two cylinders connecter to the original Sportsmobile regulator with easy access thought the propane door.
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #7

On this side, there are more RV's using gas bottles than tanks.

The rules are place the bottle in a vented container or closet, air sealed towards the inside. Regulator on the bottle connected with a short flexible to a fixed line going the stove, just before the stove, you will need to have a on/off valve.

In case you install the bottle inside keep the valve, to open and close, closed all time except when you need it and vent the van during use.
There will be no pressure release like that.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #8

I am thinking of connecting the copper pipe from the stove, using a flare fitting, to a short hose with a Sturgis quick connect on the far end. I would have another hose with the female part of the quick connect and on the far end of that a 2-stage regulator that attaches to the Coleman Gemini shown below.

It would only be connected when cooking and while I believe I could use this inside, I probably will rig the hose to connect outside.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

Regards,

Keith
Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #9

Hi Keith,

I got the Espar Airtronics D4 installed originally. I asked SMB about installing a propane cook top with removable small canisters, and they said they couldn't do it because the RVIA wouldn't certify it, or something to that effect. So we just went with a plain top. Gives us a good place to set up the Flat Screen and DVD player.

George
gadibbleiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #10

You might find some useful info in this thread under "Gadgets": Coleman cooktop / grill / crock pot

There's a lot of stuff there, some of it from me, about the advantages of using one of the little 4.7 lb. propane bottles instead of the green ones. Could be an ideal solution for your needs; works great with our camping stove (our Sporty is all-electric, so the cooktop needs shore power or generator).
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote