Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Propane seems to stop at below freezing

I have a propane system that operates a Suburban furnace and a 2 burner stove, all installed by SMB. Twice, since I have had the SMB (2012 Sprinter), once in the Yukon and once at Mammoth Cave NP, the propane furnace stopped igniting sometime in the night when the temperature went below freezing. Turning it off and then trying to restart it, the fan would go, the igniter would click a few times and it would blow cold air. Could not be ignited. I checked the stove and it would ignite and then the flame would disappear or be very low. This is annoying because the furnace is pleasant to have when it is below freezing and hot coffee made on the stove is a good thing on a cold morning.

The issue is not low propane supply since both times the tank has been more than 3/4 full. Generally speaking I am in below freezing temps infrequently - these were probably the two coldest nights spent out of months of camping the past 3 years. Later in the day, after it got warmer, both the stove and the furnace would operate normally.

I am wondering if the reason that the propane does not seem to flow is because valves or gas lines are somehow freezing up due to the cooling of expanding gas. I have seen this on some camping stoves where frost forms on the top of the gas cylinder and slows the flow. Or is there something else going on here. The two occurrences were at low elevations so that is not the problem. I searched the forum but did not find this addressed. I am wondering if others have had a similar problem or if this is something amiss in my propane setup?

Bill G.
Wsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote