Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Sam

RB50 Sofa Bed

I was wondering if those of you with the RB50 interior use the lower sofa bed for sleeping? What I'd like to know is if you find it comfortable for sleeping or not, what is the seat foam thickness & if you know if they use memory foam in it or not?

Your replies would be greatly appreciated!

Sam

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #2

Hey, Sam, I prefer sleeping upstairs, because it's cooler and more airy but I use the fold-down sofa when I'm either:
1. stealth camping
2. it's too cold or windy
or
3. I'm just too lazy to do a complete set up and just want to crash

The cushions below are thicker than above, so no, I don't use memory foam, but my seats are vinyl so I put down a mattress pad first (just laid down, not connected or tucked) and my sleeping bag on top or if it's hot, a sheet.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Sam

Thanks Joanna! I was wondering if the seat cushions were made of memory foam. I have a bad back with 125K worth of metal there. At home, we have a Therapeutic bed that works well & I get a good nights rest. That was why I was wondering how comfortable it was to sleep on. It looks as if the penthouse mattress is about 3-4" thick & it seems to work well for you & others.

Thanks again for the info!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #4

My wife and I always sleep downstairs and the kids up. We use a 1.5" memory foam topper on the lower bed which makes a world of difference (at least to me). The foam used in the sofa and rear part of the downstairs bed is too stiff for me.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Sam,

I recently added memory foam to the PH top on my 1995 SMB. The original foam was only 3" thick and was of very good quality. Even so, the top is too stiff for my comfort. I added the 1.5 inch memory topper inside the cover...much better I have the 3 segment PH bed that has zippers for easy access.

The bottom bed is also of thicker high quality foam, but is still stiff. There are buttons holding the fabric on, so I cannot add memory foam to it.

In the past, I would use a sleeping bag as a topper. Makes a world of difference and comes in handy if it gets very cold.

Hope this helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Thanks Joanna! I was wondering if the seat cushions were made of memory foam. I have a bad back with 125K worth of metal there. At home, we have a Therapeutic bed that works well & I get a good nights rest. That was why I was wondering how comfortable it was to sleep on. It looks as if the penthouse mattress is about 3-4" thick & it seems to work well for you & others.

Thanks again for the info!

Sam

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #6

I agree with Phil. The downstairs is not that comfortable for me so I use a memory foam pad on top and it really makes a big difference.
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Sam I find the lower bed more comfortable and use the bed as Joanna said. It's about 4 " thick but the back pad is slightly softer than the seat portion IMO. I have only needed it during high winds for the most part and have slept upstairs in 8 * weather with the heater on. You also have much more head room and the width is better for two. My problem is everything is sitting on the lower bed so I would have to move stuff everytime I use it.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #8

We sleep downstairs most of the time unless it's really hot out. I like the peace and quiet (reason i sold my Roof Top Tent). I find the bed to be pretty hard.. but im used to a crappy bed.. so i can sleep pretty much anywhere (like a bus bench). We just roll out sleeping bags. But... when we get around to it, im sure we'll do a the serious bedding with the memory foam and all.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #9

Foam

we have tried the memory foam , egg crate foam and found both to be suitable sleeping platform's , I just don't like the hassle of moving and storing on and off the bed's , so we have opted to use our Therma Rest and Cabelas Large Alaskan self inflating pads and found that they are just as comfortable and more adjustable than the fixed density foam . I open the valve's and drop the penthouse and leave them in place or if need be roll them up into a nice easy to stack and store cylinder's. Their open valve thickness also allows for nice snug latching of the Penthouse .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #10

Greggde,
I like your idea of the inflatables. Do you use the Thermorest in the penthouse and does lowering it squish it flat or do you have to roll the air out yourself first? I don't have a garage--everything that is to be used in the van stays in the van all the time so a roll of bulky memory foam is not an attractive alternative for me.

mmoken,
Are you saying that you slipped memory foam inside the existing upholstery on the penthouse cushions while leaving the original cushions there, or you replaced the cushion with memory foam?