Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #31

Re: Starcool - should I even bother fixing it?

I'm currently in the same boat and am troubleshooting my Starcool. Works fine on 12v with the engine, but when plugged into 110v AC it runs for about 5-6 minutes then trips the small 40amp breaker on the Starcool fuse panel inside. The weird thing is that it works fine for those 5 or so minutes; the AC compressor runs, it blows cold air, etc. Then "click" and it shuts off and I have to push the little button on the breaker to reset.

I replaced all the parts in the electric box attached to the AC compressor outside. New 110 and 12v relays, and a new capacitor. I also added a "hard start" Supco capacitor to give it some extra juice. So all those electronics are new. I can't figure out what's going on. I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow from the Starcool expert at SMB Indiana. I'll see if he can give me any more ideas.

If/when I figure it out I'll post a postmortem in a new thread to help others. I also have part numbers for the new relay and capacitor for the 110v system. Got them at my local refrigeration parts dealer.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Some circumstances a couple of years ago toasted my 110vAC Starcool compressor. SMBW replaced it. I don't know where they got it though. It works fine but still has the design problem of stealing power from my house batteries

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #33

How about this + a 110V->12v 20A supply to run it, connecting to the existing Starcool evap, and not connected to the vehicle AC:

http://www.proairllc.com/industries/amb ... uct_id=219

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #34

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

Any loose or corroded connections? Also you might want to confirm the amp draw...your breaker could be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'm currently in the same boat and am troubleshooting my Starcool. Works fine on 12v with the engine, but when plugged into 110v AC it runs for about 5-6 minutes then trips the small 40amp breaker on the Starcool fuse panel inside. The weird thing is that it works fine for those 5 or so minutes; the AC compressor runs, it blows cold air, etc. Then "click" and it shuts off and I have to push the little button on the breaker to reset.

I replaced all the parts in the electric box attached to the AC compressor outside. New 110 and 12v relays, and a new capacitor. I also added a "hard start" Supco capacitor to give it some extra juice. So all those electronics are new. I can't figure out what's going on. I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow from the Starcool expert at SMB Indiana. I'll see if he can give me any more ideas.

If/when I figure it out I'll post a postmortem in a new thread to help others. I also have part numbers for the new relay and capacitor for the 110v system. Got them at my local refrigeration parts dealer.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

For my '95, Replaced the evaporator and the check valve gasket...

Still running fine, original starcool, engine compressor and hoses. R134

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote