Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #91

Re: Econoline Swivel Seat Bases - Who wants them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL
I also have one more driver's side swivel I'd like to move on as well. Does not work with the factory power leather seat in my van. Contact either me or Ray for info.

Scott
I suspected this was the case. So it's a no go with the OEM power leather seats?

Also, thanks to Ray (1der) for making this happen and so easy for everyone.
I installed mine and although I de pinned the connector which was different than the one posted on the previous page I made a note to self that next time the plasma cutter was out I would put a nice big hole as randalldee did.
I also put a hole in the base plate so the wire comes up the front of the pedestal...
In fact if they are making these to order there should be no reason why these couldn't have 3" holes in the top plate and baseplate. It shouldn't make much difference in strength. Maybe worth it to ask?
I'm getting ready to put seat heaters in and there is cable for that which needs to follow the same route. I need bigger holes!

Thanks to everyone that contributes,
B

Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #92

Garage

^^^ was thinking the same thing as i was stabbing myself in the hand with a pic tool during the passenger install

seat heater is a great idea man! let me know how that works out. id be very interested in doing that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubnobbie
I haven't had the chance to use this mod in the field, but I can tell you that sitting in the swiveled seats really makes for more usable space inside. I can tell I'm going to love it!
you will. i got caught in a massive rainstorm camping last weekend and i spent some time sitting in the passenger swivel watching the sky fall. loved it! a lot of times when the weather isnt ideal, i just crawl up into the penthouse and watch the weather, but its hard to drink laying down. plus you have to keep getting up and down for the next round, lol. being able to have all my drink fixins right at my side was handy. only downfall i saw was that with the barn doors open, it blocks your view out the passenger side door. that was easily remedied by closing it partway

driver side was just as easy. only difference was there was 4 wires to depin rather than 2 like the passenger side. again, a 3" hole would fix that issue np. 3" or whatever size they could easily find a nice rubber plug for that would allow people run as much crap through it as they wanted.

i also had no issue with the shifter being in the way. its a little more work to fandangle the seat around, but it is possible and very worth it to those with seats that will function with the swivels. you cant recline near as much as the passenger side due to the steering wheel, but still very worth getting imho.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #93

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian94ht
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL
I also have one more driver's side swivel I'd like to move on as well. Does not work with the factory power leather seat in my van. Contact either me or Ray for info.

Scott
I suspected this was the case. So it's a no go with the OEM power leather seats?

Also, thanks to Ray (1der) for making this happen and so easy for everyone.
I installed mine and although I de pinned the connector which was different than the one posted on the previous page I made a note to self that next time the plasma cutter was out I would put a nice big hole as randalldee did.
I also put a hole in the base plate so the wire comes up the front of the pedestal...
In fact if they are making these to order there should be no reason why these couldn't have 3" holes in the top plate and baseplate. It shouldn't make much difference in strength. Maybe worth it to ask?
I'm getting ready to put seat heaters in and there is cable for that which needs to follow the same route. I need bigger holes!

Thanks to everyone that contributes,
B
Correct, the power versions have a different style mount on the inboard side. I'm certain the bases could be modified, but as they sit it's a no go.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
I can put a list together for a second GB. When we get the list to eight, I can place the order (min is 10 but I will risk the extra two). Lead time will then be three weeks before I get them.

I have one guy local for a passenger. Neatvan - are you in for a driver side? That would get us 25% of the way.
I'm waffling on the driver's side again. Plus, this one won't have been previously graced by REDOVAL, so it's probably not as nice!

In all seriousness, I did receive my passenger swivel, so let me get that in and check it out. I'm concerned about the driver side and the work necessary to clear the Quigley shift lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i also had no issue with the shifter being in the way. its a little more work to fandangle the seat around, but it is possible and very worth it to those with seats that will function with the swivels. you cant recline near as much as the passenger side due to the steering wheel, but still very worth getting imho.
shenrie, could you post some pics of your driver swivel and the clearance with the shift lever?
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #95

Garage

^^^ sure, but a pic really isnt going to show you the issues or clearances while trying to get it turned around.

what i can do is provide some measurements and make a quick video of me actually turning the seat around so everyone can see whats involved in getting the drivers seat pointed backwards. that way people can judge for themselves if its worth it or not. with the layout we have planned, its a no brainer. however, i apologize that i cant do this until monday when we get back from camping
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #96

Garage

I installed the driver's swivel in Nobbie's Quigley van and bent the transfer case shifter towards the center of the van about 2". It is easy to remove under the van with a single bolt and a screwdriver to pop off the shifter linkage. I put it in the vise and used a cheater bar over it and bent it cold without any issues. Once reinstalled, the seat clears perfectly. Swiveling the seat around is no big deal, but it does require the seat back to be as far forward as possible and the slider to be manipulated while swiveling. These mounts are a no-brainer and should be a requirement if your floor plan allows!

The pic shows the clearance to the shifter in 2wd.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-13 08.07.51.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #97

Just as a comment on actual usage, since people without them are probably "envisioning" how it might be.

I had both driver and passenger swivel seats in my '97 SMB. Of course the passenger seat swivel was fantastic, and I used it all the time for sitting in in camp. Because I had an aisle layout, with the gaucho right behind the driver's seat, there really was no use in even trying to swivel the driver's seat 180º to face aft, BUT, I did swivel it halfway around (90º - with the back of the seat up against the driver's side window) all the time, just because it visually extended the living space so well, and gave a nice view out the front window. Really eliminated that "living in the back of a bus" feel you can get with both seat backs in their normal position.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #98

I just purchased one for the passenger side. Gave it to a friend so I would like to get another passenger one for my van on the second go round.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #99

Thanks again Ray for organizing this group buy and letting me pester you with van customization questions when I picked them up.

Got them installed this past weekend. Thought I'd pass along a few items I encountered during my installation in my stock 2012 E350 RB XLT Wagon. Basically I'm noting the differences from what REDOVAL posted a few pages back.

1. Like someone else posted I had a different electrical connector on the passenger side. No big deal.

2. On the drivers side, I had the expected connector but the wires came from the left side door well, not from behind the seat like the passenger side. Not a big deal as there was a nice big hole in the new base to pass them through; but the wires on the van side connector were not long enough to support swiveling if I passed them through the little hole under the seat. So on the drivers side it worked better to remove the connector wires on the seat side to pass through the small hole. There was plenty of wire length there to work with.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #100

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Thanks again Ray for organizing this group buy and letting me pester you with van customization questions when I picked them up.

Got them installed this past weekend. Thought I'd pass along a few items I encountered during my installation in my stock 2012 E350 RB XLT Wagon. Basically I'm noting the differences from what REDOVAL posted a few pages back.

1. Like someone else posted I had a different electrical connector on the passenger side. No big deal.

2. On the drivers side, I had the expected connector but the wires came from the left side door well, not from behind the seat like the passenger side. Not a big deal as there was a nice big hole in the new base to pass them through; but the wires on the van side connector were not long enough to support swiveling if I passed them through the little hole under the seat. So on the drivers side it worked better to remove the connector wires on the seat side to pass through the small hole. There was plenty of wire length there to work with.
Came out real nice! Clean van!

Scott