Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Look as one of the bigger Ford Fan here, and not to be a turd in the punch bowl, I have to agree with Railvan. As many post on this forum about the 6.0 I am surprised to see someone actually putting in a 6.0 rather than pulling one out! I know it's too late so I will leave it alone and wish you the best of luck but I have to bow out with why not a Cummings? You needed a transmission and transfer case any way!
CA has some draconian laws about gas-to-diesel (Again, from what I remember. I doubt highly that a liberal 'go-green!' state would relax emissions laws to make it easier to pollute). Essentially the motor has to be the same model year or newer with all factory emissions systems in place. For Cummins, that means you could find a common rail and avoid some amount of the emissions pitfalls that you are stuck with for the 6.0, but rules out the 24v and 12v.

There might also be some consideration given that the 6.0 is "original Ford equipment" and all of the parts are already out there, where I'm sure the 5.9 certainly can be done, but is a more involved and perhaps costlier process.

To really have 'all of the opportunities' you need a 1997-1998 Econoline in CA. Lets you have your pick of the 12v, 24v, commonrail, or 7.3.

MY1997 in CA also happens to be smog-exempt if you run a diesel.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #22

Yes very aware of the CARB laws, but hard to decipher. I say Cummings because the 6.7 would be a sweet implant. I had a 94 lined up but snoozed out on it. It would have received a Cummings. At present i am doing a 6.2 in an existing 6.2 Vandura, then A John Deere 3.9 into a 70 Scout if I ever get around to the Scout. I really do think you will be alright because the guys you are using have been around these. Be sure to keep it bulletproof ably simple!! Best of luck!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #23

Hello Group, I'm Jason with Devil Mountain Diesel. Thanks for the interest in this project. With out getting to long winded here are some current progress photos. Thanks and looking forward to this PROJECT! Jason
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5522.jpg   van no engine.jpg   rivet removal.jpg   IMG_5556.jpg   van.jpg  

van 2.jpg  
DevilmtnDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #24

Garage
Jason (Devil Mountain Diesel), Think its great you chimed in here...IMO it reflects confidence!
This is the kind of endeavor that raises some eyebrows and attracts a curious audience (from several perspectives). Will be enlightening to follow this project...Looking forward to the end result.
Jeff94598 - I'm rooting for success & since your now on the stage with this, "break a leg" for luck - simply because it wont cost you anything, and its always welcome!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #25

Weekly progress and pizza meeting

Thanks Twoxentrix,

I'm sure I am going to need some positive support along the way as the process goes along.

There seems to be good progress being made, the motor mounts brackets that Jason shared were replaced and will enable the 6.0 motor that is being worked on currently to be installed when finished.

I have added a couple of photos of the motor progress and the newest piece of the project to arrive, the ATS transmission. I'll keep posting progress photos for those that are interested.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Motor rebuild.jpg   Transmission in box.jpg   Tansmission packaging.jpg  
Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #26

6.0 build update

Group- Some update engine build pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
0D2A8C28-7DE6-4A74-93F5-5174A736DD72.jpg   IMG_5547 (1).jpg   IMG_5620.jpg  
Old 05-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #27

Sure is good looking!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #28

Thanks Ray! Here is a little more detail on what has been happening.

Group- The 6.0 Powerstroke for this project started life in a 2005 F250 4x4. The engine was running and had roughly 280,000 miles on the ticker.

First step was complete engine tear down. We sent the bare block and the new Mahle pistons to the local machine shop. The cylinder bores were matched to the new .020 pistons exact dimensions. This takes out any cylinder wall imperfections and lets our new piston rings start life on a fresh bore. The block deck was surfaced .005 to unsure it was perfectly flat. New camshaft bearings were installed as well. Crankshaft was checked for specs and polished to be reinstalled.
After machine work the bare block was thoroughly cleaned and prepped for reassembly.
Beginning the reassembly a new Ford spec camshaft was installed. Using the OTC cam/crank aligning tool and the upper half of the main bearings installed. We dropped in the crankshaft that was lubed with engine assembly lube on all bearing journals.
Which leads us to our first TIP to ensure a happy 6.0 life. The 6.0 Bedplate LEAKS! The solution started many years ago at the local Ford dealer. While the bedplate is upside down on the bench. After a thorough cleaning install the lower half of the bearings and the new Ford bedplate gaskets. Now use a small bead of Ford grey diesel silicone. Apply the bead parallel to the bedplate gasket working lengthwise. Make sure to place the bead on the inboard side of the gasket. We are trying to keep oil in, not road debris out. Now the complete bedplate gets reinstalled and torqued to factory spec. Now take a coffee break or better yet the next day come back and peal off any extra silicone that might be protruding into the inside of the engine.
Next the new ford connecting rods were fitted to pistons. Ford connecting rods come with new bushings in the little end and bearings for the big end. New rings will then be fitted to the piston and the piston assemblies were attached to the crankshaft. Remember to put assembly lube on all bearing surfaces. This now wraps up the short block build. We will talk cylinder heads next time.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #29

Garage
Awesome, looks great. Thanks for the info and posting Jason and Jeff.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #30

Great stuff! This is fascinating and worth following on many levels. Will this van be running truck tuning or will it get E series tuning...or something a little more custom?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote