Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

1990 e250 small fire price to rewire??

Looking at a 1990 e250 with 77,000 miles. Everything looks good except it had a small engine fire. I asked the guy and he said a shop quoted him 700 for parts which isn’t bad but almost 8000 for labor…. I guess the engine needs to be removed to replace the wires? Seems way to high but know nothing about these vans. He wants 4K for the van as is.

19932022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Without looking at a quote sounds like a sad story waiting to happen. I'd take a peach for 4000 and fix it up but wouldn't take a trainwreck. I'd personally look at the quote (or call the repair shop) and then look up on Chilton's guide (online) what it would take to really do it.

It may just be a lot of wiring or routing but at surface doesn't sound terrible.

Be careful if it's a salvage - they can turn out to not be worth dirt when it comes time to sell.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
Without looking at a quote sounds like a sad story waiting to happen. I'd take a peach for 4000 and fix it up but wouldn't take a trainwreck. I'd personally look at the quote (or call the repair shop) and then look up on Chilton's guide (online) what it would take to really do it.

It may just be a lot of wiring or routing but at surface doesn't sound terrible.

Be careful if it's a salvage - they can turn out to not be worth dirt when it comes time to sell.
Yeah I asked him to see the actual quote or what parts it would need specifically to get it fixed up . Seems to be in good shape otherwise. I’d pay a somewhat decent amount to fix it up the right way but almost 8k…. Seems like you could get a crate motor and have it installed for that amount or less.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #4

I actually have the estimate if anyone has advice.
Attached Thumbnails
D9B17C27-3F46-41B7-8E37-6F3BBFD1D5D9.jpg  
Old 11-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #5

Garage
I am no expert, but the labor seems excessive. Sure doesn't seem worth it to me unless you get the van for cheap, much less than 4k, and want a project for yourself or have a shop you trust. Lots of opportunity to screw this sort of job up.

How much paint damage?

As mentioned, if no harness is available, you would need a wiring diagram to completely rewire or maybe a junkyard donor harness.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I am no expert, but the labor seems excessive. Sure doesn't seem worth it to me unless you get the van for cheap, much less than 4k, and want a project for yourself or have a shop you trust. Lots of opportunity to screw this sort of job up.

How much paint damage?

As mentioned, if no harness is available, you would need a wiring diagram to completely rewire or maybe a junkyard donor harness.
Yeah I was prepared to pay 2k or so to have it done but almost 8k just in labor. I’m honestly just looking for something to beat around in. I camp in the back of my truck which isn’t bad but a van would be better. Everything else seems to be in good shape no body damage, rust. Paint seems to be good
Old 11-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #7

Garage
Yeah, that makes sense. I would want to know why the engine needs to be pulled. Vanlife and all, but at 12k or so one would think there are other options. I would prefer something with OBD2 as well.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #8

I would be more than curious exactly what caused the engine fire in the first place. I would also want to know if that issue was repaired before i made a decision.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #9

Garage
If you've been looking at the van, did you take some pic's of the engine bay & damage that you're able to post? According to the estimate, its described as "the fire had extensive damage to...", so I'd approach the whole project with skepticism.
I'd be just as concerned with everything located near the fire - the heat alone could have an adverse effect on many components and electronics = you may inherit more problems down the road than you're prepared to deal with...unfortunately, at that point you're already invested in the rig.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
If you've been looking at the van, did you take some pic's of the engine bay & damage that you're able to post? According to the estimate, its described as "the fire had extensive damage to...", so I'd approach the whole project with skepticism.
I'd be just as concerned with everything located near the fire - the heat alone could have an adverse effect on many components and electronics = you may inherit more problems down the road than you're prepared to deal with...unfortunately, at that point you're already invested in the rig.
I haven’t actually seen it in person. It’s about 7 hours away in Fairbanks. He’s just been communicating with me sent pictures, vids. It didn’t look terrible from the videos but he’s an older guy and they are kind of blurry videos. It seems like a solid van other than the fire issue. Never dealt with a fire in a vehicle before though. I don’t mind paying for parts but I cannot do 8k just for labor. I am skeptical… it could be a sweet van or a nest of problems….