Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #31

Fill Up

Here are some valid suggestion's that came from a Fuel Terminal Manager that has worked very well for me over the years .
#1 Fill or Top your tank in the early A.M. hours as Gas and Diesel shrink in volume overnight do to the cooler temperatures this will allow you to get more into your tanks and the Diesel will not be as prone to Foaming .
#2 If you choose to use the automatic means of fueling , keep it at the lowest setting . When nearing full you are able to hear a bubbling sound at this point stop pumping and (my) count to 30 then as gingerly as possible fill till you can actually see the fuel in the spout , if you see foam stop pumping and wait a few seconds and begin anew until full .
#3 Always try to avoid filling up if their is a fuel delivery tanker at the station
refilling their tanks , I will ask the driver what he is delivering if it is (not) Diesel then you should be in good shape . This will keep particulate matter in the stations large storage tank in their tank and not in yours and it will also keep the ambient amount of moisture at a minimum .
#4 Last always keep you tanks as completely full as possible keeping the condensation levels down in your tank and saving you the premature changing of your Water Separator Filters .

The above has seemed to work for myself and all that I shared with , you might give a whirl and see if it works for you .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #32

Quigley V10 Mileage Results

Well, first of all, my gas guage is OK, but my brain wasn't. When the pump clicked off 2 or 3 times, I assumed it was full and my guage was incorrect. When we tried to run the usual 250 or 300 miles, we ran out of gas 1/2 way between Omaha and Lincoln. That was fun.

We now have a little over 2,100 miles on the new beast and have averaged 11.22 mpg so far. We got over 13 once with a tail wind, etc. My speedometer is off 4.6% with the upgraded wheels and tires, but I have taken that into account with the mileage calculations.

On the road now for a 6 to 8 week tour of the west. We are fighting a 30mph cross wind in NE, so this tank may not go far.

Stevef
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #33

Stevef,
if you get to Lake Tahoe, you are welcome to plug in at our house. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #34

Re: Accurate fuel mileage readings

Fuel fill problem resolved.
I went to the Transfer Flow gas tank factory in Chico last week and told them about the problem of only being able to put 35 gallons of gas in the 46 gallon tank. They pulled the tank and examined the sending unit and all checked out okay. Then they drainded the tank. Mind you I was showing 1/8th a tank, but they pumped out 15.5 gallons of gas. So they opened the angle of the float by 5 degres. Now at empty I show 4 gallons remaining. And they then pumped in 42.7 gallons. Down the road I also was able to pump 42 gallons with just a needle over empty showing on the gas guage and the pump never clicked off once. Forget the computer as it showed zero to empty for 50 miles. Also due to two charchoal went filters in series you can slowly add more fuel (as in clicking the pump as tried before by many). With the angle of the float arm at 95 degrees the tank holds (in gallons) 4 at E, 9 at 1/8, 15 at 1/4, 23 at 1/2, 35 at 3/4, 41 at full, and 46.7 total. They had never had a Sportsmobile with thier tank in it to inspect so this was a technical workout for them. It took the tech John 5 hours to get it all done, but they did not charge me or SMB for their time and did not charge me for the gas. I even got a Transfer Flow Inc hat. Peter, I do not have Ben Winter's email address so will you pass this onto them. I assume they will correct the angle of the float bar on all future gas tanks. For those who do not read the SMB forum you may want to mail them how to fix the incorrect guage reading error.
Thank you, Bill
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPa1
Also due to two charchoal went filters in series you can slowly add more fuel (as in clicking the pump as tried before by many).
Did they make a change here so you can fill all the way up to 46 gallons without having to repeated click the filling nozzle by hand?

-- Geoff
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #36

When you say change "here" I am not sure what you mean. But yes, 40+ gallons with no clicking of the pump. BillPa1
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #37

From my former reply on accuaracy topic,
"Fuel fill problem resolved.
I went to the Transfer Flow gas tank factory in Chico last week and told them about the problem of only being able to put 35 gallons of gas in the 46 gallon tank. They pulled the tank and examined the sending unit and all checked out okay. Then they drainded the tank. Mind you I was showing 1/8th a tank, but they pumped out 15.5 gallons of gas. So they opened the angle of the float by 5 degres. Now at empty I show 4 gallons remaining. And they then pumped in 42.7 gallons. Down the road I also was able to pump 42 gallons with just a needle over empty showing on the gas guage and the pump never clicked off once. Forget the computer as it showed zero to empty for 50 miles. Also due to two charchoal went filters in series you can slowly add more fuel (as in clicking the pump as tried before by many). With the angle of the float arm at 95 degrees the tank holds (in gallons) 4 at E, 9 at 1/8, 15 at 1/4, 23 at 1/2, 35 at 3/4, 41 at full, and 46.7 total. They had never had a Sportsmobile with thier tank in it to inspect so this was a technical workout for them. It took the tech John 5 hours to get it all done, but they did not charge me or SMB for their time and did not charge me for the gas. I even got a Transfer Flow Inc hat. Peter, I do not have Ben Winter's email address so will you pass this onto them. I assume they will correct the angle of the float bar on all future gas tanks. For those who do not read the SMB forum you may want to mail them how to fix the incorrect guage reading error.
Thank you, Bill"
BillPa1
Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #38

After one of the times we had to drop our Transfer-Flow 46gal tank, I had it completely empty, and so was able to measure the complete fill.

With a hole in the internal surround of the vent line, that we drilled to permit faster and fuller filling, I was able to get just about 55gal in when fuel was up-to the fill cap (5gal from a full jug to get to the fuel-station, 49.5gal at the station).

I presume the vent surround is in place to leave roughly 10gal of air in the tank to account for expansion/sloshing, but the extra 10 gal is great for longer hauls when you will be driving right after fill-up.

-e
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #39

....Old topic, same issue...
I have the 46 gal T-flow tank on my 6.0 and I am going to drop my tank to fix the vent tube. Can anyone (badger?) give me an idea of what the vent tube looks like and where to drill the hole? It may be self explanatory once its in front of me, but it would be nice to have a head start on the plan. Also, what is the disadvantage,if any to not keeping the expansion room? Is there anything to be catious of when topping off?

The second reason for the drop is that I am going to install a fuel pickup for the Espar airtronic d2 diesel heater. Not sure what this will entail yet on the 46 Tflow tank. Anyone? thanks everyone!
khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #40

Check out this thread: http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=645

Badger has some info here: http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/ ... ml#general

My experience: http://octopup.org/sportsmobile/gastank

-- Geoff