Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Any experience with Oveland Systems 270 awning on EB 350 SM?

I am looking at installing a 270 awning on my 1999 E350 SM with Colorado Camper van Top. Anybody out there have experience with this. I'm worried it may cause damage or not be wind proof enough. Otherwise it looks pretty nice.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/o...ver-universal/

Thanks!
Dave V.

davevalenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

No experience, but I've been eyeing this for some time as well. A few concerns I've had:
  1. Our van has a pop-top, which would make mounting very challenging. I think the mounting solution will need to be considerably more robust than for a typical awning, although I could be wrong. The weight is on par with other awnings, so my primary concern is whether the mount will be strong enough with the awning deployed (due to the leverage from the rigid arms). I have an idea, but it's pretty far outside the box (as in, I've never seen it done before) so I haven't taken the leap yet.
  2. With a 270 awning, I'm concerned it would limit where I could deploy the awning. As in, the van needs to be parked with space on the side and rear. I don't think this is really a problem, but worth considering whether it might limit where it can be used.
  3. My wife and I are both only 5'6". I'm a bit concerned of how difficult it will be to reach for deployment and storage.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #3

I love these and have been eyeing them for awhile. Unfortunately they keep getting more expensive. I've decided it would probably be too heavy for a van rain gutter though.

It's all in the mount. You could surely figure out something.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #4

Also check out https://www.oztent.com/foxwing-270-awning
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkchop View Post
That's a good price, perhaps even better than the Rhino Rack Batwing (which is the same thing) but the coverage is no good for us van owners. I've had two of these awnings on different rigs. Just not enough side coverage to cover the side door of a full size van, even an RB.

Advantage: OVS (or 23Zero's Peregrine). Look at the weights though. These bigger awnings are HEAVY.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #6

Lots of people have thought about the 270 on a van. I have had countless discussions.

Main issues are the pivot point needs to be in the far rear corner. Take a measurement, usually 8 ft for the length of the case , from that point and you will end up in the middle of the cargo door. If you have the flip forward triangle then you can get some additional coverage.

If you have a fixed top or stock roof can with a rack to mount to you have a chance.

With a pop top you are relegated to gutter mounting solutions. The eight feet measurement puts the forward end of the awning case way shy of the B Pillar. So, a solution here is to run a piece of Aluminum angle about 10ft long or more across the face of three brackets (and you will probably want four brackets) to provide a mounting plane for the awning case. DEFINITELY an awning w legs as the gutter will not support a legless awning.

As mentioned, the full deployment or none at all is a deal killer for us for any type of awning. The ability to extend whatever we need or whatever space allows means we use thd awning more often. The ability to deploy quickly and retrieve quickly if we are leaving the van or wind kicks up are priceless (or at least $1200 from the pictures sent to me recently)

Do not get me wrong, I love the 270 conceptually but would not find it practical, at least for our applications.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #7

I do not have a fiberglass top however we do have an Alu-Cab 270 mounted to a roof rack with custom fabricated brackets. The mounting point for the 270 awning pivot point needs to be near bulletproof. It carries the bulk of the weight when driving and the bulk of the weight when fully deployed. As far as wind goes there are no legs on the model we have & it does well in 10 mph winds I have not had it out in anything greater.
adventurevan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

I have the OVS 180 on my ambo. It's not light weight and needs good mounting points. So obviously the 270 would be even more.

So far I love it. It's strong, can easily self support even in windy situation and is easy to deploy and retract.

Not looking back!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210619_122027.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	40387
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

23Zero

We have a 23Zero 270 mounted on our '97 E350 RB SMB with penthouse. We used 1der's brackets with some bodged additions to make everything come together. We mainly spend time in the PacNW or the desert and the 270 extends space for us in the wet or the sun. We have had it on the rig for ~2 years and have a couple dozen trips under our belts including hundreds of miles on washboard and 4WD roads. We have had it out in 20+ mph winds very well staked down and been fine.

We are tall folks (wife is 5'10" I'm 6'5"). We use two people to pitch the awning and it would be tough if you are short without a step stool (it is stowing that is the tough part).

We had a standard bag awning previously and found it really wasn't sufficient for our needs - we are really happy with the 270, although it was costly.

We usually dispersed camp - so space to deploy is typically not an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0108.jpg  
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, e350, overland systems