Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #191

Garage
Another way to look at this is... To be effective for defense, you must suspect Anybody who approaches your camp. If you wait untill they do something it's way too late. That means you must have the weapon on your person at all times, with a round chambered.

If somebody approaches, your first thought must be threat assessment. Move to a position so you could easily draw your weapon. Look at sight lines to make sure a friendly isn't in the line of fire. (Probably not practical to worry about bystanders BEYOND the target).

Do all this before the target gets inside 21 feet...

EVERY time somebody approaches camp.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #192

So much practical information stated here. Seems like a good read for all of us
Old 11-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #193

Garage
My wife asked for a gun for self defense as she can no longer hold her own in arm to arm. I bought us a handgun and she keeps it within arms reach most of the time. We practice using the weapon most every time we camp. We talk often about many of the points brought up in this thread. I do appreciate people’s views, ideas, and comments in this thread. Keepem coming.

We have code words for when strangers enter camp. I always walk towards stranger, she prepares a defensive stand awaiting next move. I assume everyone has good intentions, but not fool enough to not be ready to defend our camp.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #194
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
I would neither confirm or deny possession of a fire arm.
And yet that very statement strongly suggests something is up.

Agreed on good thoughts here---safety is or should be top-of-mind for us all regardless what we're involved with or where we are. We can lament the decay of society to the point we have to discuss such things but being forewarned is being forearmed in its own way.

Most of us need to think more like criminals to better understand how they assess who or what to approach for nefarious reasons.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #195
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Great discussion and very important questions to ask ourselves...My wife started asking b/c of the couple camping mid October on Padre Island Natl, Seashore that were murdered, robbed, buried on the beach...we camped there for a few days last year.

We went to Brownells Gun in Grinnell, Iowa to start. I have hunted and went target shooting with my gun-owner friends often, but never owned one. We took the initial trip to make sure my wife would feel/be OK with holding a gun, cocking etc...I could tell she was nervous. I told her about how to put your trigger finger along the side of the firearm when looking/holding a pistol. Seemed fine, but still...

When the young man came up to help us, we told him the models we were looking at...he didn't think the Smith and Wesson 9mm model we were looking at could be cocked by my wife...he had her hold it, and he noticed her grip/trigger finger and stated how great it was that she knew that...she started to cry and said that is the only thing she knew....that is when it really hit home that we are a long way away from being OK with this next step.

JWA your insight, experience, and advice has really helped us. I am so sorry you have had to experience (first hand) the reason why we are starting this process...YOur post made us really think hard about this subject and the realization of how "prepared" we will have to be...owning a gun is just the first step.

Shenrie, thank you for your post about what you and your wife do when camping...the plans you have, the practice, the preparation so that IF anything ever arises, you two will be as ready as you can be....

With all that said, We love to boondock and be away from it all. We love the privacy it affords. We will be prepared through practice, communication, and above all a plan . I agree that most times common sense will say give them what they want and be/stay alive, but lets hope/pray that never happens.

Again, thank you members for your honesty and thoughts...you peeps are the best!

Ps Thx Brian, I am trying paragraph breaks...I write like my ADD is in control (lol)
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #196

Garage
^^^ glad to be able to assist.

I forgot to mention that I did take the Utah version of the concealed carry class and encourage anyone on the fence to do so. I definitely learned more that I thought I would. I have a lot of gun happy friends and have always been around guns, but have never owned one till recently.

Also check your area and see if someone near you teaches the enhanced Utah class. I was able to take it here in Idaho.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #197

Garage
I have been thinking a lot about security, especially when camped. I am leaning towards motion activated lights (bright) on all four sides of the van, and find a way that when the motion sensors are triggered, a smaller buzzer or alarm sounds in the van alerting me. I would have the handgun nearby. It is either that or travel with a dog, which is not always practical. Any thoughts?
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #198
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
I have been thinking a lot about security, especially when camped. I am leaning towards motion activated lights (bright) on all four sides of the van, and find a way that when the motion sensors are triggered, a smaller buzzer or alarm sounds in the van alerting me. I would have the handgun nearby. It is either that or travel with a dog, which is not always practical. Any thoughts?
The lights and buzzer are a good idea as would be the dog----"nearby" when talking about a defensive weapon is NOT a good idea---unless you mean on your person and easily accessible. Remember the 21 foot rule.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #199
Site Team

Garage
Ok bear spray is my first for the places I camp and have not needed it then it’s a more then happy outcome for me not them. I do disable the van when away from it but I’m usually way away from people so not worried.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #200

Fascinating thread. We have been considering much of what is being discussed here, but we live in California and had not given consideration to the different regulations in each state.

Our travel protection is our 70 lb German Shepherd. She patrols the perimeter and virtually everyone gives her a lot of space. And if we are not paying attention, she lets us know when the perimeter is being breached...and she runs a big perimeter.

Last summer, while at a lightly-trafficked forest service campground near Capitol Reef, two suspect guys came waltzing into our camp. Wife grabbed dog by the collar and they sat in the van cargo doorway, dog with a low level growl the whole time. They made their way out of our camp quickly.

We like to think that even the bad guys don't want to mess with a big dog, there are other targets out there that don't include the hassle of the dog.
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote