Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #91

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

Only on this forum could a thread titled "Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?" go from a polite discussion on safety, to the ins and outs of handgun legislation from state to state, to towed artillery - all without anyone getting angry.

What a great place!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #92

Not angry?? I'm pissed off that I don't have any artillery! I was told my SMB was "fully loaded".
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Only on this forum could a thread titled "Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?" go from a polite discussion on safety, to the ins and outs of handgun legislation from state to state, to towed artillery - all without anyone getting angry.

What a great place!!!
It's been fun, hasn't it?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #94

I was looking into getting a firearm for remote camping as well, but do not know all the legalities that come with it. However, while out at the Overland Expo in AZ one of vendors had a Department of Justus Approved handgun safe. He had it mounted to the right of the drivers seat. The box has a pushbutton combo, that when entered pops the lid and the handgun. The box or safe is removable.

This may be a good place to start:

www.productresearchgear.com

Cheers,
Mcksurf
mcksurf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #95

mcksurf: I can't find that box. Any more clues?? Thanks, RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #96
Site Team

I believe this is the one:

http://www.nationwidesafes.com/portable ... -4035.html
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #97
Site Team

Garage

http://productresearchgear.com/
This is what I found on that site

http://www.titangunvault.com/

BTW it's the only legal CA. safe I've seen to date because the ammo is or can be locked in a separate container as required by California. Still the Ca laws say you can't just carry around a weapon in your vehicle for self protection W/O a CCW. So you must state why you have the weapon on board which has to agree with the state law as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #98

Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

I think it's irresponsible to carry a handgun when one camps. Myself, I never carry less then two. Just got back from 11 days in the boonies (missed most of this discussion) and had four handguns and a rifle. That was just in my rig. The other SMB I was with was also well armed.
I'm not worried about being stopped as most cops are pretty good folks. I also have CCW's for most states except for a few back east.

I've also carried a Glock for all the times I've lived and traveled in Baja. I know all the rules and have a place in the van that just can't be found. (No I won't mention where it is cause then the word is out) I also got to know some of the military (the ones that man the checkpoints down there) and we talked about guns. They hadn't ever fired a Glock so I brought mine out and they all torched off a few rounds. So, as with every rule, there are exceptions. I wouldn't try this unless you knew who you were dealing with.

Anyway, you've all made good points and guns are a serious and personal thing. There's been a couple of times when I've been VERY glad I was carrying and I plan on continuing to do so until I can't get CCW's any more.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

I think it's irresponsible to carry a handgun when one camps. Myself, I never carry less then two. Just got back from 11 days in the boonies (missed most of this discussion) and had four handguns and a rifle. That was just in my rig. The other SMB I was with was also well armed.
I'm not worried about being stopped as most cops are pretty good folks. I also have CCW's for most states except for a few back east.

I've also carried a Glock for all the times I've lived and traveled in Baja. I know all the rules and have a place in the van that just can't be found. (No I won't mention where it is cause then the word is out) I also got to know some of the military (the ones that man the checkpoints down there) and we talked about guns. They hadn't ever fired a Glock so I brought mine out and they all torched off a few rounds. So, as with every rule, there are exceptions. I wouldn't try this unless you knew who you were dealing with.

Anyway, you've all made good points and guns are a serious and personal thing. There's been a couple of times when I've been VERY glad I was carrying and I plan on continuing to do so until I can't get CCW's any more.
So, does Scatter refer to what people do when they realize how many weapons you carry in you SMB?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #100

My 2 cents and this coming from an LEO - however, this is my opinion and in no way a validation to any opinion or argument here on this site.

Knowing the law, any law is a far better route to take for yourself, and for those who claim to know, when in many cases they don't. In the event you need to use the weapon, YOU MUST justify the deadly force you have just used. Yes, carry laws and transport laws have a tendency to change slightly every so often - usually a knee-jerk reaction to some crisis. However, not everyone is suited to carry or posses one or 10 weapons. In a case of having a handgun, rifle, etc with you on a remote camp you need to really think about why you want or need it. Once you do, then decide what type. Simple right?

Now, if the reason is for protection, can you shoot and kill someone trying to steal your property? Can you take a life, because lets face it, chances are the person you're shooting at, if hit, IF, will most likely die from their wounds as you'll be in a remote area and nowhere close to medical attention unless you're a medic. Now, what if there are three? These are all real things to ponder.

Yeah, I'm cool with citizens having guns, but most don't practice or know their weapons well enough to be proficient. And then again some do - but how do i as an LEO know which category
anyone falls into in order to lay out a general plan here. i can't, so I wanted to give you a little to think about.

Know the law
Know the law and deadly force
Know your weapon
Practice; shooting and manipulation of the weapon.
Think about what you, as a thinking individual, are and are not truly prepared to do if a deadly force situation arises. Because nothing is clear cut.

I'm not a proponent of carrying a gun on your person or in the car, van, RV or boat, just because you can. It may be a right, but its a tremendous responsibility.

Okay, carrying in the Van - Stick it in a safe and be done with it. Secure it somewhere out of sight
for a few reasons - you don't need it while driving and if you're rig is broken into, the chances of your weapon being stolen is greatly reduced and another gun doesn't make onto the streets.

If you're pulled over, unless you're DUI, the chances of your vehicle being searched is pretty much nil. And if its secured in a safe, then you're good.

Food for thought - I'm not going to debate the carry issues and nuances of the law, letter or spirit, black and white or gray areas....

Read the California Penal Code - not a book written via interpretations of the law. Start with 12031PC and go from there. This is just a snip-it on the subject with far more discussion available.

Keep the mag separate from the weapon, keep slide back (if semi auto) and lock it up. Safe and secure.

My humble opinion
KawikaCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote