Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2023, 12:44 PM   #1

What's up everyone. After searching days through the forum I'm still unclear on some things.

Van: 2008 e350EB
Current wheel size: 245/75R16

What I'm stuck on is figuring out what's ideal to put on my van. I can't seem to get info on offset, if I should step up to 17's, etc.

I'm thinking about putting 2" coils on the front to level and want to run larger tires. No immediate desire to put a suspension lift or make bigger mods.

I'm looking at Cooper AT3s for the wheels.

I anyone has similar experience or can direct me to threads that clearly explain what to do, please share. Thanks!

BeauBasingerPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #2

Garage
I just replaced my 17" wheels with this size from battle born: ECHO | SIMULATED | BRONZE
17x8.5 | 8x6.5 | 0mm offset
My old wheels were the same and was able to put BFG's on those in a smaller size and put them on my 2010 E250 work van in 2wd. Both fit great with no issue. 17" leaves some good sidewall and looks good while leaving room for big brakes.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:23 PM   #3

Garage
I was struggling with the same years back, and had some great responses from the Group here - Think it may clarify "offset" for you;

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-15310.html

I went with a -12 offset to push the wheel/tire stance out a little wider.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks, I'm understanding the offset now however still stuck a little bit stuck on what I need to do here. I think I need to figure out how to get some measurements and see what I'm capable of doing. One rabbit hole leads to another, haha
Old 02-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #5

Thanks bud. I'm seeing similar wheels from Method with a 4.75" backspace. That's the one thing I guess I need to figure out next. You didn't level or lift your van at all with the 17" wheels? Which BFGs and size did you go with? Saw some of your album photos and the other vans look rad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I just replaced my 17" wheels with this size from battle born: ECHO | SIMULATED | BRONZE
17x8.5 | 8x6.5 | 0mm offset
My old wheels were the same and was able to put BFG's on those in a smaller size and put them on my 2010 E250 work van in 2wd. Both fit great with no issue. 17" leaves some good sidewall and looks good while leaving room for big brakes.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:45 PM   #6

Garage
I'll look tomorrow when I'm near it. I can post some pics for you. It's a work van now with black wheels and BFGs. LOL
Old 03-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I was struggling with the same years back, and had some great responses from the Group here - Think it may clarify "offset" for you;

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-15310.html

I went with a -12 offset to push the wheel/tire stance out a little wider.
Unless I'm mistaken you seem to have the offset in reverse. According to the picture in your link a -12mm offset will inset (rather than push out) the centerline of the wheel about 1/2".

Apparently, a 265/70-17,275/70-17and 285/70-17 will comfortably fit a 8"x17' wheel for those looking for a mainly 2WD setup. The same -12mm offset keeps the wheel centered.

I bought 17" wheels mounted with tires from the Tire Rack back in about 1999 for my 1997 E-350 RB. I never understood where the offset came from that they selected but after reading this thread it seems obvious that if you go from a zero offset 7" wide stock wheel to an 8" wide wheel the offset should be set to -12mm to keep the centerline of the wheel tire in the same place.

Basically, the extra inch in width would correspond to a 1/2" shift outboard in the wheel centerline. Adding -12mm (approx 1/2") offset compensates and brings the wheel centerline back the same as stock (close enough 25.4/2=12.7mm).
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:30 PM   #8

Garage
Negative offset pushes the wheel outboard, positive offset pushes the wheel inboard.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Negative offset pushes the wheel outboard, positive offset pushes the wheel inboard.
That contradicts the referenced picture but is consistent with the TireRack.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...s-wheel-offset

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tech...fset__hero.png

I guess you cant believe everything you read and have to check multiple sources.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Exactly.
I believe this was also mentioned in one of the member posts from my initial "link";
You should keep in mind if you go to a wider rim the extra width will add to both sides (same with the size of the tire). So, the negative Offset will help compensate for the additional width you'll accumulate on the inside - this helps maintain your turning radius (keeps the tire from making contact earlier with any of the FE components like linkage, stabilizer, etc.)

Tags
2008, e350, stock, tire size, wheels