Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #41

Re: Have you taken a look at ProMaster vans in person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmaster
After Mits. Fuso and Ford fiberglass body SMB has been started working on Dodge promaster. Red top is test top. Right now team working on floor, side walls and cabinets. It will be budget vehicle, about $10000 less then Econoline.
Thanks for update. A budget Class B is a great idea, particularly if it can double as an everyday vehicle or as an occasional second car due to the smaller size and improved fuel economy. Or as a vehicle that blurs the line between travel van and full camper. However, since the cost difference between an Econoline and a ProMaster does not appear to be around $10,000, I'm wondering what will make this van a "budget" vehicle. In other words, what content will be eliminated to reduce cost?

By the way, the top looks like it extends further up on cab area than I'm used to seeing. If that's the case and it's not an optical illusion due to photo's angle, why the difference? Is the penthouse borrowed from another model, or is it longer due to van's flatter roof line, or what? My understanding was that ProMasters would have a wider penthouse due to wider roof than Ford and Chevy. Don't know how it compares to Sprinter but expect PM roof is wider than Sprinter also.

In any case I've been looking forward to SMB's ProMaster development program.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #42

Maybe the Promaster has a roof rib or something that can't be cut like they do in the Ford?

I'm going to be in Europe for a month or so in June-July, and will be keeping my eyes open for pop-top Transits and Promaster vans. If I see any interesting ones I'll post them.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #43

Average econoline price on production line was $37000. V10 engine, transmission, packages and etc. Pro Master costs less then that.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #44

$29k and change for the base Promaster. By the time you add in what is necessary for the modern consumer you're around $33k and it's certainly not a V10. Does Ford still sell the smaller engines. I like that there is an option for factory swivel seats ($500 each). A necessity given the crazy airbag situation on Promasters. They should just bubble wrap all occupants. Haven't heard much about diesel. I wonder if it's going to be too exotic for the States. Any ideas on that Foxfire?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
......cut...... I like that there is an option for factory swivel seats ($500 each). A necessity given the crazy airbag situation on Promasters. They should just bubble wrap all occupants. ......cut......
What are you referring to? What is the "crazy airbag situation"? Haven't read anything about airbag issues.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #46

Just complicated. A Travato owner had to have something reset at the dealer when he tried driving off with one of the seats not properly locked forward. A very obnoxious alarm sounded until reset. Maybe they reset automatically but he didn't know the alarm even existed. Lots of airbags and complicated. I don't think people will be putting swivel bases in on their own. I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Just complicated. A Travato owner had to have something reset at the dealer when he tried driving off with one of the seats not properly locked forward. A very obnoxious alarm sounded until reset. ......cut.........
Do Travato's use factory swivel bases? There have been many reports that swivel bases would not be available for order initially, so I'm wondering if Winnebago got preference due to volume or if they are using aftermarket bases (maybe from Europe for Ducato). Don't really know much about this being a problem to comment.

Too many airbags is usually not a problem, although in the ProMaster I think the side airbag comes out of seat so an interlock to avoid driving with seat unlocked to forward position may be an even greater need.

That said, I expect new vans like Transit will have as many airbags and "complicated" safety features if seats swivel too. It's just part of new vehicles whether we like it or not.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #48

Yes airbag is in the seat. The Travatos have factory swivel. The release is built into the corner of the seat. Took me quite a while to figure out because I got to look it over completely before the salesman (who knew way less about the Travato than me) discovered me. Although I lean towards a DIY.It is tempting to test drive one but wouldn't be fair to salesman. On other forums the people who have them love the way they drive.