Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 02:28 AM   #1

leaving 6.0 sitting for extended times, like days or weeks

I have other novice questions about how to deal with extended down times. How long is too long without starting or driving a 6.0. and does using a trickle charger, A/C hook up suffice for the battery maintenance and if so, how long can it sit with a trickle charger or A/C? If starting the engine and letting it idle is OK, for how long? If driving is required, how far? Thanks.

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
If a cell goes bad in your starting battery a little trickle charger will not put out enough to keep up. But that is better than a high amp charger (like many shore chargers are) that would boil the battery. I have solar so the batteries are always topped off.

I prefer to drive the van at least once a week and bring it up to normal operating temps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:44 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I prefer to drive the van at least once a week and bring it up to normal operating temps.
Agreed that would be the better scenario, maybe driving at the freeway speed for at least 50-100 miles at least every two weeks. I'm not a diesel owner but would be concerned for the fuel being affected just sitting still for too long a time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #5

Do what you can. I had an E350 7.3 that I stored Nov-Mar in MN for a few years. I put a solar panel trickle charger on it. I started it every 4~6 weeks on a day above 20* and let it idle for quite a while. It was snowed in so it didn't get driven.

I had good luck using Power Service diesel additive (white bottle) and never had problems with gelling. I did make sure to fill up when the stations had the winter blend at full strength.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #6

Hi:
I set a reminder on my phone to run the van at least every two weeks.
Rapidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #7

Garage
I like to run mine every week or two. For me I drive it to work and back and put about 50 miles on it, mostly freeway so it gets up to temp. Also important to stomp on it and pull max boost to make sure the variable vanes on the Turbo actuate.

Also, keep in mind that biodiesel doesn't have a long shelf life, some say as little at 2 months. Make sure if you are storing it for awhile you fill with regular diesel or R99, neither of which have long term storage issues.

I started using a little 20 watt solar charger on the dash when not in daily use. Not sure I really need it but I figure it's not hurting anything.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote