Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #1

Lock for Ford E series hoods?

I am wondering if anyone knows of a hood lock system, hardware, hack, etc for the front hood of an E series, especially 2001 ish. I'm looking for something that would keep the hood locked even if released from inside. I've tried searching, but only get latch replacement parts, or jeep type hood locks.

Even if someone figured out a drooping cable or something that could be padlocked I'd be grateful; this is mostly for an extract level of vehicle and component theft protection during storage. Like when I have the battery disconnected, etc. So far my only idea is that cable, attached to the underside of the hood and dropping through the engine bay and down to where I could attach it say behind the front bumper discreetly. Liable to cutting though.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #2

Easiest way is probably drilling the safety latch to accept a padlock.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:12 PM   #3

The Jimmie’ Jammer folks make a latch guard. This might be of interest to you. Not sure if it could be modified to keep the latch locked though. It’s mostly to prevent exterior access.

https://jimmijammer.com/Models,%20Hood%20Guard.html
JVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan View Post
The Jimmie’ Jammer folks make a latch guard. This might be of interest to you. Not sure if it could be modified to keep the latch locked though. It’s mostly to prevent exterior access.

https://jimmijammer.com/Models,%20Hood%20Guard.html
Yes, I've seen that. I couldn't figure out a way to make it lock in a way that would easily accessible.

Still looking.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #5

Garage
Could just go old school with hood pins:
https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Unive...%2C113&sr=8-55

Or, could you make something like a 12v bolt actuator work; one mounted under the hood on each side - Drill a hole through the hood seam and continue into the side of the fender, where the bolt would go through to prevent the hood from being raised
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MP2J1PB...2-587d01f975e8

Just thinking out loud.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Could just go old school with hood pins:
https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Unive...%2C113&sr=8-55

Or, could you make something like a 12v bolt actuator work; one mounted under the hood on each side - Drill a hole through the hood seam and continue into the side of the fender, where the bolt would go through to prevent the hood from being raised
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MP2J1PB...2-587d01f975e8

Just thinking out loud.
Thanks. I did look at pins, but hard to find a place to put them.

But I may have lucked out: I have an antenna mount that fastens inside the bay but has a flange that fits through the gap between hood and body. And it's quite beefy, and looks like it could take a regular padlock if I drill it. It would make it so that the hood would be blocked by it and hence not open.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #7

I'm all for a project, Rob, but why? If access to the inside release is achieved then isn't it a moot point? I'm just curious of your thinking here.

Seems like you'd be winning the battle but losing the war.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm all for a project, Rob, but why? If access to the inside release is achieved then isn't it a moot point? I'm just curious of your thinking here.

Seems like you'd be winning the battle but losing the war.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you misunderstanding me, but the point is to defeat entry IF the hood latch is opened either from inside the vehicle or through the front grille.

IOW, to keep the hood locked even if the normal ways to unlock and open it are used. So like the hood pin locks on some classic cars, where instead of cotter pins they have keyed locks. Or similar keyed ones on jeep-type hood clamps. Or a gate latch and a honking big old padlock on top of the hood

It can serve two purposes: makes it tougher for someone to say turn on the electrical if you've got a battery disconnect, or if you do a low-rent Cyclops/Ravelco by just pulling relays. And it prevents battery or other engine compartment theft. Not a big deal for many, but where I store my van there are so many Ford E series that some thieves have targeted them for parts, although most cat converters.

As it turns out I have a super simple way to lock it shut, just a padlock in a through-hood antenna bracket; it blocks the hood from opening (the Firestik one if anyone else is curious, the SS-174).
Old 10-05-2022, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Could just go old school with hood pins:...
Just don't forget to put your hood pins back in...

Herb
Old 10-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you misunderstanding me, but the point is to defeat entry IF the hood latch is opened either from inside the vehicle or through the front grille.

IOW, to keep the hood locked even if the normal ways to unlock and open it are used. So like the hood pin locks on some classic cars, where instead of cotter pins they have keyed locks. Or similar keyed ones on jeep-type hood clamps. Or a gate latch and a honking big old padlock on top of the hood

It can serve two purposes: makes it tougher for someone to say turn on the electrical if you've got a battery disconnect, or if you do a low-rent Cyclops/Ravelco by just pulling relays. And it prevents battery or other engine compartment theft. Not a big deal for many, but where I store my van there are so many Ford E series that some thieves have targeted them for parts, although most cat converters.

As it turns out I have a super simple way to lock it shut, just a padlock in a through-hood antenna bracket; it blocks the hood from opening (the Firestik one if anyone else is curious, the SS-174).
I see. You're right, makes good sense. I guess I always just figure that if someone gets inside my van my life it over, just shoot me. That is a good idea for backup security, which I guess we all have to consider nowadays with these things.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote