Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2024, 05:41 PM   #1

Looking for Advice on a SMB Purchase

Hello,

I'm very new to the SMB world. I've had a chevy astro van for many, many years and have loved many aspects of owning it. However, my wife and I are having a kid and need a bigger rig to safely transport our family on the various on and off road adventures we cherish.

I came across a locally listed SMB and wanted to get y'all's advice on three major questions I have about it. I'll list the full details of this van that I have below the three questions.

1) This van has a "Bulletproofed" 6.0L Diesel in it. I've read a lot about the issues with the 6.0, with many people warning to never get involved in one. However, I've also read opinions saying that if they are Bulletproofed, then they are reliable engines. Is it a bad idea to get into a SMB with the 6.0 engine or is the listed work sufficient to make it a good vehicle for many years and miles to come?

2) Is $70k a fair asking price for this rig? I've done a little poking around at different listings for similar vehicles, but am having a hard time weighing all the various options, as there just aren't that many exact matches for this unique rig.

3) Any other major repairs/upgrades I need to be aware of for this model years/engine/tranny combo? I've read about some oil filter line swaps on AMSOIL systems of this era that I need to look into... are there any other major gotchas that I should check for?

I'll also say that I met with the seller and he and his partner seem like great people who have really tried their best to do routine maintenance on the vehicle and were very open and honest about any (minor) issues that they were aware of. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Here are the full details for this vehicle:

2006 Ford Sportsmobile e350
NEW ENGINE: Bulletproofed 6.0l diesel (only ~26,000 mi)
Seats 5, Sleeps 4

Mileage-
Chassis: 165,955 mi
Engine: 26,000 mi

Expanded Diesel Tank: 46 gal

Background:
I’ve owned and loved this vehicle for 5 years and have used it for winter and summer camping. In spring of 2020 I had to replace the engine and I spent $31k to buy and install a remanufactured engine from Ford with legitimate bulletproof parts from Bulletproof Diesel. This engine should now be good to go for 250k plus mi if well maintained. I have receipts, notes and lots of other documentation during both my ownership and that of the original owner. I am actively using this vehicle so the mileage will be going up. Serious inquiries only, please!

Bulletproof upgrades:
- Head stud kit
- Air to oil cooler
- EGR cooler
- Water pump upgrade
- I also have a mechanical fan clutch upgrade that will convey with purchase (it was noisy so I went back to the electronic version since I've never had any issues with overheating)

4x4:
Built for serious offroad and 4x4 trails, though neither I nor previous owners appeared to have used its full capacity. Most of its miles and use has been on highways.
- Sportsmobile 4x4 conversion with 6” lift
- Atlas II Transfer Case
- Dynatrack Prorock 60 front diff
- Dana 60 rear diff
- Warn Premium manual hubs (new in 2018)
- Detachable sway bar for expanded articulation
- Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires (5ea, ~28k mi, 5 tire rotations)

Exterior:
- Shore power hookup
- City water hookup
- Deployable solar hookup (Jan 2023)
- Electric AMP Research Powerstep fold out running boards
- F45 Fiama awning
- Exterior shower
- Engine block heater
- Yakima roof tracks, towers and crossbars
- 2” trailer hitch
- Upgraded headlights (Jan 2023)

Interior/House:
- Interior condition is very good
- Electric pop-top
- Espar Airtronic S2 D2 L furnace (installed Jan 2023)
- 10 gal water tank
- Lifeline 4D AGM house battery
- Swivel Front Seats
- Sink
- Hot water heat exchanger (when engine running)
- Norcold fridge
- Sportsmobile store away portable table
- Day and night shades
- Front cabin privacy curtain (snap on)
- Original interior matched throw pillows
- Pioneer stereo system with Bluetooth, navigation and upgraded sound
- Porta potti (never used)
- CO/smoke detector
- Electric roof fan/vent
- 3 seatbelts for rear seat

marcusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:39 AM   #2

I'm surprised there aren't more responses on here - may be useful to participate more here because single post surprises that dine and dash are more common.

In my view - that's a lot of miles. You have the wear and tear of 165k with a newer engine which you know is a powder keg. Bullet proofing is a marketing / enthusiast term which has a lot of variation in meaning based on what they did, who did it and how they treated it. One way to look at it is you might get another 140k miles out of the engine and 27k are gone (based on original run rate).

I'll shut my yapper in case someone on here is selling it but basically I think if you hold $70k and have some patience, you could be rewarded more.

But time is an opportunity cost. My first smb took 7 years to find. That was painful.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:41 AM   #3

Hey SMB123, thanks for your reply. Point taken on not being a very frequent poster on this forum. As I don't actually own an SMB yet, I haven't had much reason to be on here, but rest assured if I do get into one of these glorious vehicles, I'll be more active!

RE: "Bulletproofing", I found a great thread on this forum where ShuttlePilot listed all the upgrades they would be looking for in a 6.0 (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-25265.html)... The current info I have on this new 6.0 "Bulletproofed" engine is pretty light. If I inquired further with the owner for service records and the actual work done/present on the new engine were more closely aligned with ShuttlePilot's list, does that give you more confidence that the engine would last longer than the 140k you reference, or should I really just be passing on any 6.0 option I see and holding out for one of the other powertrains?

Thanks again for the advice.
marcusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:18 PM   #4

Marcus, you've come to the right place for advice on this rig. I can't personally give it to you but others will show up. I'm not a diesel van guy but I am an SMB guy. The rig sounds like a good one if you are willing to take on an engine with known challenges.

Standby and some of our 6.0 owners will chime in. It's Spring, hopefully they are just all off the grid right now.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #5

Garage
I don't believe 165,000 miles should be to concerning IF the Van has been maintained. You have a relatively new engine, and the 'secret' to the 6.0 boils down to regular fluid changes and a regular regiment of fuel & oil additives. I would see if you're able to get a list of what all was accomplished during the 'Bulletproofing' & use ShuttlePilots list as a checklist. Keep in mind, Some of the upgrades should have already been supplied with the remanufactured engine if it was purchased through Ford - at least that's what I was told by Ford's Corporate staff back in 2015 (I ended out purchasing a brand new Engine they happened to have instead of a remanufactured).
***I would take a real hard look under the van to see if you're able to discover any fluid leaks.
As far as it being a 6.0, I have been very pleased with mine these last 9 years. The added torque is great for a heavy van (mine is close to 12k lbs), and performs well on long uphill grades...I'm rarely in the right line! I will say I've made several 'adjustments' which have been very successful in managing 'heat' (Mishimoto low Temp thermostat, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Derale Hypercool Trans cooler, and a 5-star tune have proven to be the golden ticket).

The Van you are considering sounds like it's well appointed, but I would still recommend having a reputable 4x4 shop check all the FE steering linkage, transfer case, lockers, Brake system (rotors, pads, etc). If there is no indication of the vacuum pump having been replaced in the last couple years, I would put that on your list to get done preemptively (if it goes out you essentially have no brakes).
Take a good look at the extent of undercarriage rust, anything more than 'surface rust' should be taken seriously.
Raise the pop-top and look for issues (mainly rust) all along where the pop-top meets the roof, as well as all along the drip rail (especially the along the top of the front windshield, and where something may be attached to the van using the drip rail - like an Aluminess ladder).
Exercise all the equipment/appliances to make sure they are functioning as intended, and I would video the owner showing you how to use each appliance so you have something to refer back to later. Same would go for any remote switches (Extreme air compressor, lighting, side lights, and make note of the function for all toggle switches - Sportsmobile liked placing the majority on the panel under the steering wheel).
If the Van comes with a Winch you'll want to test its operation.

The $70k asking price is subjective - If the Van is in great shape all around, and has supporting maintenance history then I think it's a reasonable price (based on 4x4 with Atlas transfer case, Aluminess bling, new engine, and well appointed).

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions - PM me.

EDIT: Forgot to add: Inspect the entire interior for remnants/indications of any water leaks (discolored fabric is usually the most obvious). I would also review the pop-top canvas, windows, and screen for rips/tears/staining. And lastly look at the pop-top cross bars to see if they are straight or look bent.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:46 AM   #6

Garage
I'm not a diesel fan, but I have read lots of threads about them. My prediction is those who like diesels will give you long answers with lots of qualifications, advice for possible modifications, electronics to constantly monitor it's health, and alternatives (which will be other diesels).

But the short answer is don't do it
Old 04-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Almost every tow my 2006 6.0 has needed has been caused by something other than the engine itself. That said, I know one member who had their engine bullet proofed at the same shop as mine that blew apart on the road.

With my 6.0, I went through the Amsoil issue. The engine oil was periodically checked by a lab during the warranty years. Other than an injector replaced by Ford at ~20K miles, the motor was in fantastic shape when it was partially bullet proofed at 60K and finished up at 90K. The engine is now at about 130,000.

I use Archoil fuel and oil additives, and as mentioned, have the Amsoil system. I think a coolant filter goes a long way (I hope anyway) but still replace the coolant every 2 years. Amsoil is expensive and a complete change with both filters is about 175 bucks and I replace it every 5-8K.

But things go wrong. I hate to say it but I might feel a little less stress in the backcountry where I take my van if it had a gas motor. YMMV. But with such a large vehicle, extrication would be a high dollar bill with any engine type that shuts down in the middle of nowhere.
I was on one trip where the wiring harness (a known issue) would cause the engine just die now and then. It failed around 70K. The shop wrapped the new harness and hopefully it will lengthen its life.

Last week a o-ring on the fuel regulator started dumping fuel. Same thing happened in 2013. Knock on wood but the motor has been sound...all the crap that bolts on, meh.

Off the top of my head:
2 tows b/c of sensors
2 tows for objects through the radiator (lucky me)
1 tow vac pump
1 tow engine wire harness
1 tow transmission issue

Ive lost the alternator, an injector, and the fuel regulator issues mentioned. Lot's of broken front end disconnects, broke a couple shock mounts, broke the track bar, and blew out a read diff on the full float rear end once. Also had the Atlas rear seal leak and lost a U-joint on one trip.

None of these problems have been motor issues. Just high maintenance vehicle crap.

Perhaps an oil sample from a lab might reassure you about the engine. Not all telling, and anything can happen, but you might consider Blackstone labs or similar if the owner is willing to let a shop check it out. At 20 K the oil sample showed an indication I had a bad injector, but Ford refused to accept the lab results. Less than a 1000 miles and the injector failed.

The van for sale seems outfitted very well. I don't want to persuade you to avoid what you are after, and perhaps I'm just plagued with minor issues, but I do take my van to places most people tend to avoid and so far the motor has been sound.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote