Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
On one trip out, the vehicle suddenly would not turn over. One minute it starts instantly, the next it wont even crank. Turned out the battery cables were loose INSIDE the terminal connectors - completely invisible! So before heading out you might want to just check the cables and terminals and make sure the entire assembly is secured together, clean, and tight.
Just had a very similar experience with my friend's 4runner in AZ. We're from MN. Not exactly confidence inspiring to have a vehicle that randomly won't start in the middle of the desert. A little electrical grease and retightening was enough for the cure.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
if you are interested in augmenting your tool/spares kit: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...rry-20892.html

I had forgotten about that list, but I can say that after some 60k miles of remote travel and at least a dozed trips to Alaska, I still carry 99% of the stuff I listed. Having said that, I’ve probably only used a few of the parts but if I jettison them it’s certain I’ll need them right after. Currently I also have a spare (new, not reman) power steering pump, (the current one has been screaming for over a year) a couple coils, a belt tensioner, a fuel pump(I’ve lost two) jacks and blocks enough to lower the fuel tank if needed, a new belt, and more I can’t remember at the moment. I’ve only installed one coil in the field though, but I have all the tools to replace any parts I have. I also carry two spare tires, a compressor, and a patch and plug kit since I have had numerous flats. I also do comprehensive maintenance and inspection before every trip. Having said all that, there are lots of services available on the Alaska highway between Washington and Alaska, help is never too far away.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:57 PM   #13

@arctictraveller, have you had to change your fuel pump in the field? Did you drop your tank did you cut an access hole in the floor?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Sounds like I will be digging into the following preventative maintenance items.

Fuel Pump
Alternator
Radiator
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:24 AM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Check bushings and ujoints. I don’t load a bunch of spare parts, but I do carry tools and recovery gear along with an air compressor.
I always have an extra air filter, fuel filter, belt, some fluids, fuses, tape, bailing wire, tire patch kit, JB weld and ratchet straps.
Have a great trip!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #15

[QUOTE=CDACamper;319286]@arctictraveller, have you had to change your fuel pump in the field? Did you drop your tank did you cut an access hole in the floor?
/QUOTE]

No, I had to get towed the first time, the next time it was acting up and the fuel pressure was not up to spec so I changed it before it quit all together. By the way, I also carry an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge. Due to all the interior cabinets, a hole in the floor won’t work, but dropping the tank is not a big deal. Additionally, I try to change anything that is remotely suspect, including a Ford reman transmission last year, u-joints, starter, rebuilt both diff’s, heater blower motor, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, steering box, brake calipers, rotors, pads, and lots of other stuff. The only thing I might “run to failure” is the power steering pump, but I carry a new one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
Old 03-03-2023, 11:35 AM   #16

@Artictraveller,
Did you do the Harpoon or Hutch Mod when you dropped the tank and changed out the fuel pump?
Also, was the plastic gas pickup umbrella broken inside your tank?
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:29 PM   #17

[QUOTE=CDACamper;319310]@Artictraveller,
Did you do the [URL="https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1619669-how-i-do-the-in-tank-and-pre-pump-mods-aka-hutch-and-harpoon-mods.html"/QUOTE]

No mods, it’s a 5.4. No internal damage either. Just a burned out pump.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:18 AM   #18

Did 15625 miles to Tuktoyutuk then over to Alaska this past summer. Didn't do anything extra to our 2001 E250 other than have all systems checked beforehand. Did kill an alternator in Prince William but that was our fault for not having our Lithium batteries properly set up. Lost a few hours in repair there. Also lost the tread on one tire while on the Dempster Hwy. We carried 2 spares so that was no problem. Everyone works on Fords there (which is why it's the only van we'll own) so you'll have no problems with that. Have a great trip!
chubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #19

We did this summer of 2022 in our E250, 2001, without 4WD, 175k miles. The roads were in much better condition than we expected. If you're doing a lot of the gravel roads (such as up to Tuktoyaktuk or Prudhoe Bay) then having 2 spare tires is recommended. We had 1 tire failure. It didn't go flat, but the tread stripped off. We had fairly new tires, and replaced some in Fairbanks after considerable gravel driving. The worst road was the section of the Denali Hwy that we did. Very slow going to dodge significant potholes. Things change after each winter and with maintenance schedules.
In addition to 2 spare tires, I agree with the tire plug/patches.
The Milepost book is phenomenal for info along all the roads.
I'd recommend a breaker bar for loosening stiff lugnuts.
I was nervous about how remote it all is, but people are friendly and helpful. Enjoy the trip!
BK8LST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:09 PM   #20
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Did it in '08 in an MDX and '14 maiden voyage...stopped in Anchorage at the Ford dealer for an oil change, filter etc...they loved the rig , free coffee...had to do a weld/fix on a ROLA bumper carrier that was falling off, $50 local welder...As stated, there IS help (eventually), Fords are common and easily fixable/parts etc...go for it and don't look back, you'll be great and do fine!

Ps 6K one way or round trip? We had over 12K round trip from Iowa, all around AK, and back to Iowa
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote