Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 04:22 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Motorcraft Now Offering Lesser Quality Parts

Found this bit of information about a new designation for Motorcraft parts alluding to "high service" duty or use. Here's what a member on FTE discovered and shared:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot View Post
Well, after some more web browsing, I think I know what this references and why the price is cheaper. Of significant note is that this reference isn't used by ford websites but is referenced in a roundabout way in a few trades articles discussing the “new” motorcraft company direction.

As near as I can tell, ford is trying to recoupe some of the sales lost to other aftermarket companies because in most cases, their parts are much higher priced (albiet better quality) than the competitors. Their approach is some vehicles with high mileage dont really need the full quality of Ford’s OEM spec parts. E.g. part will last 200k miles but car will never make it that far as it already has 300k on it.

If I got it right, Ford’s going to build a part that DOESN’T meet OEM specs and sell it for less using this “misleading” high level service tag to differentiate it from it’s normal OEM quality parts while charging slightly less than the ‘normal’ part.

What’s kinda disturbing is that this isn’t clearly communicated which will lead folks to unsuspectingly buy a motorcraft part that is inferior to OEM. What a way to risk their reputation for a few bucks. Lable it ‘economy’, ‘near OEM’, or something clearer and be explicit that it isn’t built to OEM specs. I keep thinking of how many companies have gone down this path and totally trashed their reputation. Husqvarna was a high quality swedish product that now makes saws in china that look like their swedish versions but are junk. Eddie bauer isnt worth anything as to brand quality as it once was due to selling everything and anything with that label regardless of its quality. Just SMH.....
​​​​​​​

For those shopping for or insist upon Motorcraft (like me) this is somewhat troubling only because it's probably not intended to be known, hoping the brand name alone and cheaper prices will bring back the "budget conscious" buyers who've opted for the AutoZone, Advance Auto etc etc etc brands based on cost alone.

I hope this helps those who use first quality parts for their rigs. This same info is posted in the Engines & Drivetrain sub-forum too.

​​​​​​

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM   #2

The most universal saying continues to ring true......"they don't make em like they used to."
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
The most universal saying continues to ring true......"they don't make em like they used to."
Yep---and that seems to be quest or at least a goal--grab the bux and don't worry about the longer term implications.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

GM has been doing this for a while now. They have AC Delco Advantage, AC Delco Professional, and AC Delco GM Orig Equipment (Good, Better, Best). It's definitely confusing to say the least since both the Advantage and Professional line are advertised as having OE specs, but the difference in price makes it clear that there are some big differences. Also, when searching online it's hard to find any definitive info from the manufacturer about the differences. And the naming convention doesn't help. I mean who would think that the "professional" line would be lesser quality than OE?

Looks like Motorcraft is following suit. I would suspect your assumption is correct. They're probably trying to find a way to get back some of that budget market share from AutoZone, Advance, O'reilly, etc house brand parts. I really wouldn't have any problem with it provided they made all of the specs and info readily available and then clearly labeled the product lines differently so that I could make an informed decision about what I want for each specific situation.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #5

That's great information, thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, good to know for those of us who care about excellence.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #7

It's all about Product Branding and taking "Advantage" of brand name historically known for quality in the marketplace.

As stated earlier by FreeAgent ACDelco has been doing this crap for awhile now trying to compete with cheap parts available from other suppliers and catering to the DIY'er who wants their parts at a cheap price point.

Any reputable repair shop will not install the ACDelco "Advantage" or "Professional" lines of products as those reputable repair shops know these parts are the cheaper knock-off products like Autozone or Advanced branded parts. Parts built to a price point not a quality level. Yes these cheap parts may have a "Lifetime Warranty" however that repair shop only git's paid ONCE for the labor to install that cheap part. As such these reputable shops can't afford to warranty the CHEAP PARTS and more importantly the Cost of Their Labor for warranty repairs caused by a CHEAP PART FAILURE!

You still git what you pay for when buying quality parts!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #8

Ford "offering lower quality parts ?" Interesting - and sad -- but NOT CEAR on the looks/logo/label or terminology planned on these parts mentioned within your post. Can you clarify please. Thanks JWA !
Russ Gutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
JWA

Hey Russ--great question!

I sent a PM to the member on FTE who posted the bits I shared in my own opening post here, asking if he can point to a specific part he discovered this new thing about. Once he's replied I hope to have a part number and website he discovered the "service life" moniker so we can see for ourselves how packaging or labeling might appear under this new lower quality Motorcraft branded line of parts.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
JWA

Okay so I have an update to this situation, its been something Ford began way back in 2017 in fact. Two links of interest maybe?

FTE short discussion: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...signation.html

And from Ford/Motorcraft/Omnicraft: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-vehicles.html

And from Omnicraft's home page: https://www.omnicraftautoparts.com/us/en-us/home.html

And one more: https://www.omnicraftautoparts.com/u.../warranty.html

My local Ford dealership parts guy says these are available for those seeking cheap parts--definitely designed to complete with the Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc etc outfits for those who look only for the lowest price.

I'm okay with warranties but honestly just want parts the L-A-S-T!
HTH