Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2024, 01:44 PM   #1

My silverware is too noisy

Yep. We use silverware and it's in one of those standard silverware trays and the noise is starting to piss me off. I'm curious on what others have done to keep the silverware handy but not making noise when on rough roads or just hitting potholes and such.

*Wife does not want to use plasticware as it's too wasteful.
*Thought about just packing towels over and around the tray.
*Thought about a tool roll but when either one of use asks for a piece, it would be a PITA to unlatch and unroll each time.

Ideas?

Bob

Old 04-16-2024, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post

*Wife does not want to use plasticware as it's too wasteful.

Ideas?

Bob
I use mostly plastic (and wash it and reuse it until it breaks) cheap/free, lightweight, quiet........what's not to like?

I think polycarbonate (Lexan) utensils would be the ticket but haven't really found any.....but the cheap/free stuff lasts a long time with most food. I find forks that don't have ridges/stiffeners on the back; easier to wash.

I also have 2 sets of metal utensils (knife fork spoon); they are both in little neoprene pouches and don't make any noise. They were Jeep giveaways a number of years ago at one of the overland expos.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:06 PM   #3

What drives me crazy is when I hear noises like that and don't know if it's silverware or the differential about to come apart! Maddening!

We put ours in a plastic container with a screw-on top, then store that away up in a cabinet.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:12 PM   #4

...I also line my drawers with fuzzy trunk liner/subwoofer covering......prevents chafing in the summer.....

....and cuts down on the noise from things bouncing around in the drawers....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:31 PM   #5

Garage
I went with GSI polycarbonate utensils. Virtually indestructible and "almost" like metal when eating. Pretty sure I got mine from REI when they went on sale a few years back. Mine sit in a plastic silverware tray in the drawer above the refrigerator and I've never noticed any noise.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/gsi-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-16-2024, 03:05 PM   #6

I don't know how many sets of utensils you have but we have always used this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-M...el-Set/8223669

I know you said no tool rolls, but this uses velcro to close and doesn't exactly roll up, it more folds up.

I would personally find packing towels around the tray to be more time consuming and less effective.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:29 PM   #7

Garage
I despise rattles too!
I have neoprene 1/8" rubber liner inside the cabinet drawers (self adhesive on one side, so we just cut and inserted). We've gone through several different sets of cutlery (metal, plastic, and one-time-use), but now carry 4 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Uten...LPPPD_BwE&th=1

We also bought some steak knives so we have one in each case (the knives included in the set serve purpose for most everything except gilled steak)

There are many variations available with similar sets, I just prefer the cloth style bag over a hard case (less likely to make noise), and the handles on the ends of ours are larger than what most offer.
You could just use an organizer style bag and accomplish the same (once it's rolled up and tied off it will keep everything from making any noise (had something similar originally, but found having the 4 separate cases more convenient - YMMV):
https://www.amazon.com/PWPAM-Camping...1&sr=8-24&th=1

EDIT - for quick & simple fix you could always just rubber band each set - would minimize most of the noise.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:38 PM   #8

I just turn up the radio...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I just turn up the radio...
What? I can't hear you over all the rattles..
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:18 PM   #10

I've been known to wash/re-use plastic but the more I read up on what goes into that stuff the less comfortable I am with that health-wise.

I've started carrying titanium silverware but I already had it from when I used to lightweight backpack. It doesn't rattle as much as stainless or whatever but it sure costs a lot.

I've not seen this stuff in a while but I used to see plastic utensils made from potato. Shouldn't rattle at all and if your wife still thinks that's too wasteful well then tell her to just eat it.
Lunatickn is offline   Reply With Quote