Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

Re: One Sportsmobile/Two VINs/"stripped chassis" VIN on titl

Sounds to me like the door had been replaced at some point. "incomplete" is how vans with the RV-prep package (or other prep packages) are classified.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #12

Re: One Sportsmobile/Two VINs/"stripped chassis" VIN on titl

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Sounds to me like the door had been replaced at some point. "incomplete" is how vans with the RV-prep package (or other prep packages) are classified.
carringb,

Could you clarify something for me? I thought I understood from your previous post (the one I quoted that was originally in another thread) that vans were delivered to Sportsmobile as "incomplete" before conversion, and then Sportsmobile converted them and then gave them another VIN after they were "complete."

I don't think the door has been replaced, unless it was before the original owners bought the van (i.e. at the factory).

If anyone else would like to check out their door sticker VIN vs. the dash VIN, I'd be very grateful.

I don't want to buy anything "weird," but on the other hand, this is a nice, one-owner unit that suits my needs and my budget; so I would hate to turn it down based on this alone and then find out "Oh, you know, when I checked mine it was the same way." I figured that if these people didn't notice for all these years, perhaps other people have it the same way but have just never scrutinized it?

(Or maybe there is something hinky; I'm not going to rule that out yet, although it doesn't seem to fit.)

Thanks again. Sure wouldn't mind being able to join in with a Sportsmobile (even though it would be "just" 2wd).

Viva

PS: After all this time, I just noticed my "Subject" has an error. The title of the SMB in question has the finished, "cargo van" VIN, not the "chassis" VIN. Sorry if that caused confusion. I have edited the title for clarity.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #13

Re: One Sportsmobile/Two VINs?

OK, I was a little confused by the original question.

Yes, SMB would have applied a new complete VIN to the base "incomplete" van, and the complete van VIN is the one that should be recognized, but it seems to vary by state. An SMB could have an RV, van, or bus VIN depending on if it is self-contained (or was at the build-out) and how may seats. My van has a "BUS, NOT SCHOOL BUS" vin.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #14

carringb,

Thanks so much for your reply. And I agree, my original post was probably a bit wordy and confusing

Plus, I see in my last post even I got confused by it, and got the which VIN/which title mixed up. Sheesh!

I'm just about to call the SMB owner, so this is timely. Maybe this SMB can still be in the running.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly:

You're saying it's okay/normal for a Ford Sportsmobile to have two VINs on it? In this case, just to clarify:

1) VIN sticker on driver's door, has Ford VIN number for "cargo van." This VIN is not used anywhere else.

2) VIN on dash (not sure exactly what it looks like as I have not seen it), has Ford VIN number for "incomplete chassis." This VIN is on the title.

I realize you can't make any judgement on this particular SMB. But if this situation is not glaringly abnormal, that gives me something to go on.

Added: To me it would have made more sense for the door VIN to be used on the title, since that's the "more finished" one (cargo van); but from what I'm reading, it may not be a problem in the real world that the other VIN (incomplete chassis) was used, since it is also present on the van?

Thank you!
Viva

Edited to add: I just talked to the seller, and I think I can now see the logic for using the "incomplete chassis" VIN on the title. Because I confirmed that that's the VIN that is on a little metal(?) strip that is fastened to the dashboard right at the bottom near the windshield. So that seems like the VIN that people/police/etc. would normally look at, and it's much more "permanent" vs. a little sticker on the door. Not saying that the "cargo van" one on the door might not be more correct in an "evolved finished van" way, but still I can see why one would use the dash VIN.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

I had to look and both of my vin #'s are the same.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #16

I work in the car industry, and every car is issued 1 VIN and thats it!!! Anything more means something is not right!! Once a VIN plate is installed on a door or chasis it is not to be messed with, unless there is an accident! If a car is missing its original VIN plate it can and most of the times will be totalled out!! I would not even consider that van as an option. Think about this if you are questioning buying, what if you need to sell it down the road, you may not find someone that is willing to take a chance with a van that has a VIN issue!! Even getting it registered in some states may be impossible. There are plenty of van out there that you can buy without title issues. Unless it is priced as what a salvaged van would be priced at DONT BUY IT!!!!
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #17

mykdee - Every van/truck/stripped chassis shipped from a Manufacturer, is required to be issued a new VIN by the Final Stage (aka 2nd body) upfitter. This is true for most RVs, buses, ambulances, street sweepers, etc....

Some states will not allow you to register an incompelte VIN, since that veicle doesn't meet FVMSS and/or EPA regulations.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #18

Thanks to everyone for the information. carringb, your posts have been especially informative.

Viva
Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

I just came across my VIN GUIDE for 2008. My vin # starts out with 1FD. Position 1-3 is "World Manufacture Identifier" which lists Ford as manufacture and make and "incomplete vehicle" for the type.
Positions 5-7 are S34 which is also for a "incomplete vehicle" (IV)

So, SMBWest does not change the vin # at least in 2008. I think this was referenced somewhere else on the forum when someone wanted to register their vehicle in Canada and they had an incomplete vehicle vin #

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote