Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Penthouse Top Weight Limit on RB Ford

My purchase notes say the maximum weight for the regular body penthouse top when lifted (with electric assist) is 150 pounds but I thought Peter or someone told me it was more like 185. We carry a Kyocera PV unit plus Thule rails and load bars that start us at 41 pounds and leave us with either 110 pounds or 145 for cargo. We're looking at a pair of inflatable kayaks that clock in at 50 pounds each and a Yakima basket that adds another 40, plus cargo net, straps, security, etc. We can squeak in at the 185 level. We're SOL at 110. Anyone with thoughts about weight or experience with heavier loads?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #2

Garage
I have an electric top as well, and was curious when I decided to add a Thule box - talked to Peter about 4 years ago and was told max is. 250, but should try not exceeding 200 to maintain a safety margin.
I have an 85lb Aluminess rack, 30lb Thule Box (with an additional 40lbs in it), lights and flexible solar panel adding ruffly another 30lbs total - never had an issue (but I do have 4 support bars I prop up in each of the inside corners when the top is up to help reduce the stress on the cross bars)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Team

If nothing else check if your PH bows are straight before adding the weight, check the integrity of the shoulder bolts holding the two bows together before adding the weight, and check the bows after you add the weight.

Herb
Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
If nothing else check if your PH bows are straight before adding the weight, check the integrity of the shoulder bolts holding the two bows together before adding the weight, and check the bows after you add the weight.
Herb
Thanks, Herb. We installed new bows in Fresno in 2018. I gave up on straightening them because they always returned to the curve I so carefully created by not unlatching all three clamps before lifting the top. On multiple occasions, spreading the wealth by missing different clamps. I have thought about adding corner braces though that doesn’t address the weight when raising the top.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I have an electric top as well, and was curious when I decided to add a Thule box - talked to Peter about 4 years ago and was told max is. 250, but should try not exceeding 200 to maintain a safety margin.
I have an 85lb Aluminess rack, 30lb Thule Box (with an additional 40lbs in it), lights and flexible solar panel adding ruffly another 30lbs total - never had an issue (but I do have 4 support bars I prop up in each of the inside corners when the top is up to help reduce the stress on the cross bars)
That’s encouraging. (Maybe my 150 limit is actually 250.) I like the idea of support bars anyway to use when the top is up for multiple days. Esp. if there’s wind. Where did you get yours? Or, did you just cut some PVC-type material?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
That’s encouraging. (Maybe my 150 limit is actually 250.) I like the idea of support bars anyway to use when the top is up for multiple days. Esp. if there’s wind. Where did you get yours? Or, did you just cut some PVC-type material?
Just cut from sturdy wood dowels (think it was 1.5”), and wrapped the poles with black duct tape, then fitted the ends with rubber feet (same as you would use on chair legs). Made them just long enough that I would have to raise the roof corners about 1” to slide them under.
To keep the positioned securely, I mounted to the roof the end pieces of closet hangers (the small disk used for hanging a closet pole - they have one side cut out so you can slide the pole into it)
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Just cut from sturdy wood dowels (think it was 1.5”), and wrapped the poles with black duct tape, then fitted the ends with rubber feet (same as you would use on chair legs). Made them just long enough that I would have to raise the roof corners about 1” to slide them under.
To keep the positioned securely, I mounted to the roof the end pieces of closet hangers (the small disk used for hanging a closet pole - they have one side cut out so you can slide the pole into it)
Nice. I’ve tried homemade poles before but didn’t like the scraping process of fitting them under the ceiling. Rubber feet would help. I like the cost hanger feature, too.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

I’m not sure if they are inflatable kayaks you have or ones you are going to purchase.

If you are purchasing new, check out the Aire BakRaft Expedition. Amazing boats and 12lbs, a bit spendy, my wife and her brother have them. Easier to carry load, store, etc. Pack down to about normal backpack size, and light enough to hike it into places you can’t get to with rubber boats.

No affiliation with company.
https://www.aire.com/kayaks/bakraft-expedition-3991.html
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #9

I use four of these. Cut them down to size and stash behind drivers seat when not in use. Many years now w/heavy Line-X coating, rack & solar panels. They stand up nicely to strong winds too.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Ratcheting-Cargo-Bar-47059/207097432
Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Sasquatch, They are inflatables but not so sweet as the Aire's. We bought a pair of STAR Paragons on our kayak/raft guide grandson's advice for lake travel. (We'll use them primarily for critter watching and chilling.) 3x as heavy as the Aires but within our budget. Did look at the Aire's on the NRS webpage while we were shopping and, later, your link. They're definitely nice.

Dango, I like the ratchet option. Will look at these, too.