Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Pop top weatherstripping repair

Hi there,

I saw a few related threads but nothing that answered my question exactly, unless I missed it.

Our penthouse top is only 2 years old, but the weatherstripping is not holding up well at all. As you can see from the pictures, it's 'held on' with little plastic pins, but in between the pins it's not sealed or tight enough to grab the fiberglass on its own.

I picked up some weatherstrip adhesive and had planned to just clean it up and use this to make a more permanent seal. Is there anything I should be aware of first?

Thanks,
Laura
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200527_135549.jpg   IMG_20200527_135541.jpg   IMG_20200527_135553.jpg  

lauraduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #2

Thats wild. My weatherstripping looks thicker than that. I would try what you bought or try gorilla glue. I have used that in several places where my strip has pulled through the holes. The other option is to get new stripping from SMB, but its about $150.

I agree that it shouldn't look like that so soon. My van is a 2006.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

Garage
WOW! Believe that's the worst one I've seen - Sorry for being so candid, but I dont think I'd even try adhering that in place - Replace! (I'd also reach out for & send some Pic's to Sportsmobile if they did your install, they may be kind enough to front you a new gasket)
Hope it all works out without incident.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #4

Just sent a note to SMB Austin to see if they can support a repair or replacement. I'll let you know what they recommend. Thanks for the feedback!
lauraduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraduffey View Post
Just sent a note to SMB Austin to see if they can support a repair or replacement. I'll let you know what they recommend. Thanks for the feedback!
I have an extra seal for an RB pop top I would sell for a good deal. Purchased from SMB a while ago and never used.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #6

weather stripping

Hey Dokaman, do you still have that weather stripping for sale? I have a 2001 E350 Sportsmobile and the weather stripping on mine is falling off all over the place. I tried contacting Sportsmobile and they want me to drive it to Texas for them to replace it! I was about to just buy some glue and silicone and have at it when I saw your post. Thanks!
CJBasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Replace the trim...it is deformed. My 2006 Tx build has different dimensional weatherstripping than that used by Fresno. I say this based on having had vehicles from both facilities. The other thing is that the weatherstripping form depends on how it is lowered and aligned/dressed. It can get flared on the sides (Tx) and that can be an aggravating condition. Odd thing is the front doesn't usually shift or drag as it settles....The buttons only pin the outside part of the weatherstripping on vehicles I'm familiar with so rely on the structure, insertion distance of the pins from the roof edge, and how the roof settles. Distance between pins may also be a factor. I did replace the Tx weatherstripping (longer thinner edges) 5 years ago due to deformation on the sides and back. Caulk may be a solution, but shouldn't be necessary.

It is curious that the penthouse is only 2 YO. Has the weatherstripping been removed and roof recoated? Or is that all original? My experience is with an E series and maybe yours is Sprinter....so different roof settling? Pin separation could be contributing...More than 6-8"?
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Trim Texas vs Fresno.jpg  
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penthouse, poptop, sprinter, weatherstrip