Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Here is another option to consider. My set up is similar to what you are thinking but different in that I have full queen size bed mattress behind a custom bench seat. My van is the extended version so I was able to the queen bed and bench with a somewhat comfortable "living space" in front of the bench. With swivel front seats it makes a good amount of room. I don't have a pop top but do have a high roof that adds about 15 inches. I have a clear approx. 27" under the bed, about the same above the mattress. We use a futon mattress with a 2" memory foam on top, super comfy. It's at least as comfortable as my bed in my house, seriously.

Here is my thread, go the last page and scan backwards for the most up-to-date photos. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead-14849.html

My bench seat is the rear seat out of a suburban/Yukon/denalli, got it off ebay, may have been a 2014. The third row seats from these GM vehicles have integrated seat belts so that may be something to consider too, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yukon-Tahoe...xXNKxX&vxp=mtr.

My seat folds flat so what you could do is mount this seat, install a platform behind and keep your mattress rolled/folded up, fold the seats flat and roll out your bed.

Here is the seat I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2016-C...tZbU1H&vxp=mtr

Right now I use the factor shoulder belt on the passenger side, mounted the factor receiver to the floor. It needs repositioned though, crosses the passenger too high. The center position has an integral belt in the bench seat. The drivers side right now is only a ford factor lap belt.

My two kids are car seats still so I'm covered for now. Need to get custom should belts installed for the two outside positions.

Good luck.

Justin

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Thank you jboles!

That is all something to consider. Without the EB I probably don't have the room required to do what you did, but I'll look anyway. I've been leery of the Chateau style lay-flat seats after reading about issues of reliability and comfort. Comfort being one of the biggest issue. The other being the ability to run shoulder harnesses over the seat back. If the seat Back can't hold up to the stresses of a front impact, a shoulder harness mounted directly below the seat back will not work. i.e. If the seat back can "clamshell" any shoulder harness not mounted VERY far aft of the seat back will be negated.

Your Tahoe seats look great. I'm going to have to take a hard look at those too. Difference being, them mounted in the 2nd row position and abutted to an extend-a-bed aft. If it'll be comfortable enough for my wife it's definitely an option. My plan is to keep the area around the first row seat open for cooler storage, etc. The seat belts look way more usable the way you have them secured than many I have seen.

Your flooring looks great too. When I get to that point I may hit you up for advice there as well.

Regardless, thank you for the input! I'm so new to all of this any option is on the table at this point.
Nc72922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
As a fellow so cal van user, not sure how location affects the use of a refrigerator to keep food/drinks cold. But once you use one, you'll never go back.

I do agree on stove/sink tho.
I was just planning on using a Yeti or some other high $$ top loading cooler for now. A fridge would require either propane or electrics that I haven't even begun to consider at this point. I'm going to have to tackle this project one thing at a time or I'll get overwhelmed.
Nc72922 is offline   Reply With Quote