Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Solar panel problem

I'm wondering whether anyone out there has run into this problem. I cleared the snow off the roof of my SMB for the umpteenth time this winter only to find that the glass in one of my solar panels has completely cracked. Looks like safety glass by the pattern. I see no sign of an impact so I'm wondering if water worked it's way into the frame and perhaps the glass cracked when the water froze.

My panels are Kyoceras and I bought my SMB in august of 2008. Has anyone had a similar problem? Will the cracked glass ruin the panel? Can it still function or will the function be dramatically reduced? Warranty? Any input would be helpful? Thanks.

Bill Flack
2008 Sprinter SMB

playVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Solar panel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by playVT
I'm wondering whether anyone out there has run into this problem. I cleared the snow off the roof of my SMB for the umpteenth time this winter only to find that the glass in one of my solar panels has completely cracked. Looks like safety glass by the pattern. I see no sign of an impact so I'm wondering if water worked it's way into the frame and perhaps the glass cracked when the water froze.

My panels are Kyoceras and I bought my SMB in august of 2008. Has anyone had a similar problem? Will the cracked glass ruin the panel? Can it still function or will the function be dramatically reduced? Warranty? Any input would be helpful? Thanks.

Bill Flack
2008 Sprinter SMB
Yes Bill, the panel is gone but will still put out a little. There is a limited warrantee on those panels. I've never thought about water freezing but it's possible. From what Kyocera told me is the panel is vacuum sealed but the glass itself is not. Mike 6.0 had water trap under the glass and said it would steam up after a good rain when the sun came out. The newer panel are not supposed to do that but I've never confirmed that. I had my CB antenna fly back and whack the glass which ruined it. No repair from what Kyocera said. Bought my new one from Northern Arizona wind & sun. Sick feeling being it was less than 2 weeks old. I put up a different antenna.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Re: Solar panel problem

Thanks for the tip. Bummer that I only got a couple years out of it. Looks like it's about four bills to replace. Ouch! I'll see if Kyocera will do anything first I guess.
playVT is offline   Reply With Quote