Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #41
Site Team

Re: Someone tried to steal my SMB last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick51
Jack, How do you know about a fuel cutoff switch behind the pass. kick panel. I would like to find this. Have you actually seen this? Pat 07 e-350.

I happened to have had my head in the passenger footwell on my 08 E350 last weekend......on the plastic cover in the footwell (to the right of the passenger's right foot, in front of the door under the dash) the cover is marked with "fuel cutoff relay" or something like that.....it's behind this cover.

I'm assuming that it's used to kill the fuel pump when working on the vehicle with the fuel rail/injectors un-bolted so you don't end up spraying gasoline all over the engine compartment if some one turns the key....
I don't know if that button turns it off, I always heard it was a fuel pump reset. If the vehicle has been in a front end collision (how much of a collision I don't know), the fuel pump automatically shuts off.

Herb

Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick51
Jack, How do you know about a fuel cutoff switch behind the pass. kick panel. I would like to find this. Have you actually seen this? Pat 07 e-350.
A long but great story to get to the answer:

For many years, Alan Feld of Sportsmobile put on annual rallies for 4WD SMB owners to teach them how to get more out of their vehicles. These rallies evolved into having trail rides (places like Silverton, CO) one year and learning new skills the following year. The former were a lot of fun and we learned A LOT at the latter ones.

Alan arranged for the group of 100 SMB owners to camp at a private horse ranch in Park City, UT in 2007. They dug a deep trench on the property and SMB brought a bunch of their own 4WD SMBs to let drivers drive down the "creek" with one side of the vehicle down in the trench and the other on the bank. Each driver thought for sure that they would tip over (at least they weren't our own vans!) but we were a long way from tipping, even at a 30 degree angle. Good experience when you are off chamber on a trail.

For another event, they set two pairs of logs on the ground to replicate a log bridge. The two pairs were spaced apart a distance equal to the wheel spacing on the van. Two-person teams (typically husband and wife) had to have one person successful drive the length of the "bridge" while the other person spotted the driver...without ANY verbal commands. And you were competing on the basis of time.

(Did I tell you the 100 or so van owners were divided into 5-van teams for these challenges and each owner on the winning team won 5 new BF Goodrich tires?)

Those who have seen my wife spot a van over a pile of rocks without saying a word will understand why we nailed this test. Others had a hell of a time, with the driver not trusting the spotter. I remember that I just stared at her hand signals which we had developed over time and did exactly want she told me to do, regardless if I thought it was going to make the van slip off the bridge...it didn't.

Another competition involved a complex contraption built by the guys at SMB West. It featured a seat bolted to the front bumper with an arm hanging over the seat to which a water balloon was tied. The ring around the balloon featured a bunch of nails, angled toward the balloon. After the victim was belted into the seat (usually the husband), the wife had to drive a narrow course outlined with cones slow and steady enough to not get the balloon swinging...too much. Here I am in the victim's seat with my wife driving.

As I recall, the driver had to drive maybe 20' and then make a 6-point turn and go back without going beyond the cones...the teams with the fastest times got the most points. Someone claimed that she backed pass the cones but I never got wet.

Here is the last victim, Alan Feld of SMB West:

His wife Liz is driving...but not very far before Alan got it, maybe intentionally!

Now to answer your question:
Another set of tests involved all of the members of your team. You gather around a van and were told some details. And then the stopwatch was started and you had to start or drive the van. The team with the shortest times got the most points toward those new tires. There were 3 of these challenges. For example, you were told that after going over some pretty big bumps, your engine died. With that limited amount of information and a suggestion to use the Owner's Manual, you were told to go start the van. One of us (probably my wife) jumped in and tried to start the van. It cranked fine but no gas was getting to the fuel injectors. Someone opened the hood and we were all baffled until someone grabbed the Owner's Manual. Someone finally read about the fuel cutoff switch and someone else reached in behind the kick panel and pushed down the reset button. The van started.

To share another important lesson we learned, here is another one of those tests:
After coming down a 4WD road to your campsite, you are maneuvering into a level spot and just slightly back into a small tree behind you but no damage. Now it is the next morning...go start the van and drive 5' forward. One of the team jumps in and the van starts immediately. They put their foot on the brakes but they can't shift the van from Park into Drive.

Anyone know what might be wrong and have a solution?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #43

^^^^ shift interlock solenoid check to see if your brake lights are working.
If they aren't , chances are the brake lamp switch that feeds current
to the shift interlock solenoid is not receiving voltage
Without the voltage from the brake lamp switch, the solenoid cannot
actuate to the unlock position allowing you to shift out of park..A damaged / shorted trailer light connection can blow the ABS fuse in the main fuse box causing the condition above .
Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #44

Thanks Jack, I thought it would be an answer from the "master". A great story and pics!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #45

Barry please post a pic for us all, sounds like a great way to go, but don't even know where this relay is under the hood. A pic would be great!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #46

Hahaha Ha, sometimes ya just gotta laugh at yourself! I'm, standing on my head trying to find the Fuel Cutoff label and then see it's not on the switch but on the panel I removed to find it!!!! Duh! Certainly a good thing to know about Thanks Jack You know a lot about these vans. Pat
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan
^^^^ shift interlock solenoid check to see if your brake lights are working.
If they aren't , chances are the brake lamp switch that feeds current
to the shift interlock solenoid is not receiving voltage
Without the voltage from the brake lamp switch, the solenoid cannot
actuate to the unlock position allowing you to shift out of park..A damaged / shorted trailer light connection can blow the ABS fuse in the main fuse box causing the condition above .
It was a very simple problem and much easier to fix/bypass...

Jack
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #48

^^^^ Here's my guess at a simple solution

Rotate the ignition switch to the off position and remove the key....reinsert the key now if you turn the ignition just from the lock position but don't go to the point that the dash lamp come on at this point the shift interlock will allow you to shift to neutral and now with foot on brake pedal start car and shift to the required gear. . ALSO: here is a picture of the inertia switch / "fuel pump cutoff " located in the kick panel
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #49

Thanks JackTuppVan. The pic also calls it an inertia switch, so that makes sense. When I get brave enough and not so close to a big trip, I am going to depress it and see if it also acts as a toggle to turn off/on. It seems like it must do that, and thus becomes a great anti theft device.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #50

JackTuppVan....

That is somewhat what we did...turned on the ignition, shifted into Neutral and then started the van. The cause was a busted filament in a brake lamp. Remember the tree the instructor told us about. The idea was that coming down the 4WD road "riding the brakes" and then backing up with the brakes on and hitting the tree directly on the brake lense resulted in the damaged lamp filament.

Making sure that your foot is on the brakes before shifting out of Park is done by checking if current is passing through the brake light circuit. If it is, that shift interlock can disengage. If there isn't a return path when the brakes are on, the "computer" decides that your foot isn't on the brakes. A broken tail light can interrupt that signal and prevent shifting out of Park.

Thanks for the view of the inertia switch. I've emailed the instructor for that "class" and asked him he remembers how they disengaged that switch. That was a long time ago and he might not remember but so far, my email to him hasn't bounced.