Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #21

Re: Sportsmobile vs Conversion Van

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/4612141549.html

This one just popped up in San Diego. 99 Chateau with v10 and 4x4. Ad says it could use a paint job, but it looks pretty clean in the pics.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/4612141549.html

This one just popped up in San Diego. 99 Chateau with v10 and 4x4. Ad says it could use a paint job, but it looks pretty clean in the pics.
That is SWEET!!! But I'm not in the market.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #23

Back on the hunt, ready to counter and right now it has another offer on it. Oh well - back to the drawing board. So send anything you find out there my direction. I'd prefer to stay near the West coast as I'll be flying and driving it back home. Something in a two day drive distance wise. Sometimes the hunting is just as fun. But driving it would be better....
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #24

After reseach the GTRV only has seating for five with no captains chair. This could be added bit the seller is non responsive to emails. It looks clean and is a low miler.
Back on the hunt checking CL and eBay now. I am leaning more towards a V10 or diesel but am still willing to work with the limits of the smaller V8. Towing 7-8k might be a bit much but only a few hundred miles tops when in tow.

Let me know if anyone has found anything. I am about two weeks away from being carless as I have already sold my daily.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #25

The CL ad for the GTRV has the sellers phone number listed.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #26

Help, I am getting ready to make another offer on a SMB however it's for a hi-top. Other than not having additional sleeping area what are the draw backs to the hi top? Why does it appear that there is more of a desire for a PH vs Hi-top? I'd like to hear both sides of the coin and go in with an open mind. I would be eventually converting this hi top to a 4x4. I do travel with my five year old and wife and would be sleeping on the double with him on the floor for the next few years, then he can tent camp w/mom and dad. Maybe even set up an outdoor room for him and just leave the doors to the van open for security purposes. It's like the EB 70 w/ a sink/stove delete and they added cabinets. So there is no stove/sink which we would pull the forth seat and add a countertop w/ stove/sink.

Thoughts?

I am actually going to move this to another thread better suited for this topic.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #27

I just had a long conversation with another forum member on this exact same subject. I had a CCV pop top up until my current SMB pop top, but the CCV was closer to a fixed top with the top down so I feel I can offer a bit on this.

SMB pop top pros: Plenty of light, open and much like a tent with the top up. Plenty of ventilation and
breeze as well.
Lower profile more likely to fit in a garage or clear obstacles/trees and less to think about when driving.
Full walk around height inside when bed stowed to rear or ceiling in newer SMBs, with almost 7' of head room
Easy to store things on roof and access them since top is lower

SMB pop top cons: much less storage
No stealth camping without it being pretty obvious
A little harder to heat and cool. The furnace or air conditioners work well but there is no comparison to a real wall vs. a canvas wall.
Noisier when camping: read above. If you are a light sleeper you will hear more things like neighbors etc. when sleeping up top. This is NOT a concern for most people but a consideration nonetheless.
Anything heavy stored up top (bikes/kayaks/canoe/etc.) usually has to be removed to lift top.

Fixed top pros: Walk around height
Storage inside
Stealth camping
Store whatever you want on top if you can get to it
Options for roof air/roof vents if needed
Stealth camping
No setup whatsoever
More space inside means more options for layout
Stealth camping
More privacy, depending on how many windows
Easier to fit a shower inside
generally better for wet or cold climates due to real walls, easier to insulate
Stealth camping

Fixed top cons: increased height makes heavy offroading more challenging, low tree limbs, etc. more likely to get in your way
Harder to park at home for some, won't fit in a standard garage
More to wash and clean
Harder to access roof for storage
If set up with a bed up top, lower clearance for that bed. In other words, harder to get in/out of or climb over someone.
More space to heat and cool
Less windows than a pop top means less light and less breeze.
You don't get to spend as much money on camping, because you can stealth camp. Economy could collapse.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote