Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Good luck! And as it’s been said before, there’s no shortage of people here willing to help you spend your money!
Yeah its not like we can't do enough of that on our own huh---have to import help?

OTOH I've rarely seen anyone suggest or recommend something/someone that's not been well-received by anyone taking that advice. That's highly encouraging in the over all IMHO.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Good luck! And as it’s been said before, there’s no shortage of people here willing to help you spend your money!

While that may be true, I’ll say that the Forum has also SAVED me a ton of money over the years, helping me diagnose and DIY repairs. It giveth and taketh away ;-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #23

Looking through the pics, that van has a Gear Vendors Overdrive! That's a pretty nice upgrade. If you aren't familiar with it, you can us the added overdrive ratio with any gear, effectively making it a gear splitter. I don't know if the rear end ratio is low enough to utilize double overdrive, but if yes, that will help with the 460's appetite for fuel.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #24
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I thought I recognized the picture backdrop of where the pics were taken!! I have driven by that dealership N of Chicago while we were camping at Illinois Beach State Park....great camping area after an especially GREAT Cub game!! They have had two or three others advertised on their website before and had around a dozen camper vans on their lot, including a couple SMB's....high price or not, I am SURE it is negotiable and not many sales going on in below zero temps lol! I posted something about the/a midwest dealership find....personally, SMB's are great and if your not buying your not enjoying one...you can wait, sure there will be more....so the question is; "are you feeling lucky?"
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4303.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Looking through the pics, that van has a Gear Vendors Overdrive! That's a pretty nice upgrade. If you aren't familiar with it, you can us the added overdrive ratio with any gear, effectively making it a gear splitter. I don't know if the rear end ratio is low enough to utilize double overdrive, but if yes, that will help with the 460's appetite for fuel.
The gear vendor is currently not working and I dont know if it is a simple fix or not. I appreciate the input and info. Hoping to get the inspection done later this week once it warms up and the roads clear.
Colorado Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #27

Quote:
I like that one you’re looking at out in IL, I’d say if you can get things inspected and it’s mechanically sound, go for it! Just try to negotiate the price down a bit, but don’t think there’s a chance they’d accept $28K, I’d say walk if they don’t take $32K but it really depends on how much you want it and are willing to spend, it sounds like it checks all the boxes for you.
From what I see in the photos, that’s all undercarriage surface rust, nothing I’d worry about, there doesn’t seem to be any body rust or pitting.
As far as getting into the Quigley 4X4 system, there’s a few things.
You’ll want to address replacing those control arms with the updated round ones. If you aren’t aware, the square tubes had issues with cracking and a service bulletin was issued, it should have been a recall, but somehow they managed to skate that one. Anyway, Quigley has upgraded round bars available. There are other options as well, I have a set of adjustable arms that Derek made at CCV, Boulder offroad can fab up a longer fixed length set. Either gives you the room to fit larger tires by sneaking the axle forward for better clearance, but it also opens up a whole can-o-worms as you’ll need to address track bar clearance on the diff.
I’d also replace the ball joints, upper and lower, tie rod and last but definitely not least, as many here will attest, get the RIP kit from Agile offroad! This kit gives you new progressive rate coil front springs and custom valved Fox shocks on each corner, get the Fox damper while you’re at it, this kit will transform the way the Quigley handles and drives. You may also want to upgrade your rear leaf springs to a full pack and eliminate the blocks. There’s certainly Deaver, but for something local, less $ and shorter wait time, Alcan spring in Denver has come highly recommended.
Thanks REF I really appreciate the time and knowledge you put into the post. I have made many calls and sent some emails about upgrading the suspension. Tim and Timerline Vans in Golden also gave me alot of info to think over. He put a lot of time and thought into his suggestions as well. Glad I joined this forum. Thank you again and perhaps someday we get a beer while I am up in Boulder.
Colorado Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #28

Late to the party but I know a thing or two about this vintage of SMB.

It's worth 20k. I wouldn't pay more. It's old technology and 100k miles and many things about it will need attention.

It's going to get 9-10 mpg and NOTHING you do or try or pray or hope or think is going to change that. It's going to get 9-10 mpg. Think about what you plan to do with the van and see if that is a fit for you. Oh, and it's going to get 9-10 mpg. Always.

You're going to hate the front seatbelts. They will choke you. You're wife/SO/partner is going to complain about them always. There is not an easy way to put newer ones in the van.

I mean all of this honestly and as nicely as I can say it. It could be for you! You could be the one in a billion that likes seatbelts that choke you and 9-10 mpg always and wants to pay 10 year newer 7.3l diesel price for an old 460 that will likely have exhaust manifold leaks.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #29

Late to the party but apparently not too late :-) Well stated!
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Late to the party but I know a thing or two about this vintage of SMB.

It's worth 20k. I wouldn't pay more. It's old technology and 100k miles and many things about it will need attention.

It's going to get 9-10 mpg and NOTHING you do or try or pray or hope or think is going to change that. It's going to get 9-10 mpg. Think about what you plan to do with the van and see if that is a fit for you. Oh, and it's going to get 9-10 mpg. Always.

You're going to hate the front seatbelts. They will choke you. You're wife/SO/partner is going to complain about them always. There is not an easy way to put newer ones in the van.

I mean all of this honestly and as nicely as I can say it. It could be for you! You could be the one in a billion that likes seatbelts that choke you and 9-10 mpg always and wants to pay 10 year newer 7.3l diesel price for an old 460 that will likely have exhaust manifold leaks.

Yup Amen to that
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote